• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Formula One discussion thread...

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
its Coulthards year! again!

no honestly, if he gets a point this season ill be happy, im not holding much hope that Red Bull will be any better than Jaguar were at the end of last season...

Schumacher will probably win the title again, Kimi will run second and Button/Webber close for third...

and im looking foward to seeing trulli and ralf fail miserably at toyota :)

Hoggy31

International Captain
Lastest testing results-

Valencia testing (Day one):
Pos. Driver Team Time Laps
01. Pizzonia Williams 1:11.355 53
02. Klien Red Bull 1:11.617 73
03. Alonso Renault 1:11.750 15
04. Sato BAR 1:11.839 78
05. Heidfeld Williams 1:12.298 60
06. Coulthard Red Bull 1:12.404 61
07. Zonta Toyota 1:12.670 73
08. Davidson BAR 1:12.677 75
09. Fisichella Renault 1:12.827 35
10. Panis Toyota 1:13.267 47

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
All teams bar Ferrari sign testing deal
10:20 AM January 26

All Formula One teams except champions Ferrari have agreed to restrict testing during the season to 30 days.

The cost-cutting agreement, signed by the nine team bosses at a meeting in London, limited them to European circuits approved by the governing International Automobile Federation (FIA).

Teams will not be able to test at more than one circuit on the same day or with more than two cars.

They also remain barred from using circuits that host an event on the calendar, with the exception of Silverstone, Barcelona and Monza.

Ferrari, who have their own track and sometimes test at three circuits on the same day, have not signed the agreement.

"I don't think it's surprising," Minardi's Paul Stoddart said.

"We've had enough time to know that Ferrari don't favour this sort of agreement."

There had been fears that BAR-powered Honda, Ferrari's closest rivals last year, would abandon an agreement first mooted at the season-ending Brazilian Grand Prix in October.

Teams spend far more time testing cars and hugely expensive engines at deserted racetracks than they do in front of fans at races.

This year also has more grands prix than ever - 19 - and teams are concerned about staff burnout.

"Everyone said (the) Brazil (agreement) would not survive the winter but it has," Stoddart said. "If anything it is actually stronger.

"At all points Ferrari are invited to participate. If they choose not to do so, that is for their own reasons."

-Reuters

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
The general golden rule with testing times is to utterly ignore them.

Toyota, Toyota, Toyota. What a waste of money. Two drivers who've got less racecraft than the greta Andrea de Cesaris, and are more prone to sulking than Craig Bellamy. You'd have been much, much better off going for Davidson or another youngster.

I personally can't wait for another season of Zsolt "chicane" Baumgartner...

Simon

Neil Pickup said:

Toyota, Toyota, Toyota. What a waste of money. Two drivers who've got less racecraft than the greta Andrea de Cesaris, and are more prone to sulking than Craig Bellamy. You'd have been much, much better off going for Davidson or another youngster.

good to see u feel them same way about trulli and ralf as i do, the two worst racers in F1...

twctopcat

International Regular
Neil Pickup said:

Ralf is indeed a moany old git but i wouldn't discard Trulli that quickly, you don't win monaco unless your pretty good. Having said that Renault have got the better deal with fisi. Him and alonso are class and are up there as best driver combo with kimi/montoya.

twctopcat

International Regular
age_master said:
All teams bar Ferrari sign testing deal
10:20 AM January 26

All Formula One teams except champions Ferrari have agreed to restrict testing during the season to 30 days.

The cost-cutting agreement, signed by the nine team bosses at a meeting in London, limited them to European circuits approved by the governing International Automobile Federation (FIA).

Teams will not be able to test at more than one circuit on the same day or with more than two cars.

They also remain barred from using circuits that host an event on the calendar, with the exception of Silverstone, Barcelona and Monza.

Ferrari, who have their own track and sometimes test at three circuits on the same day, have not signed the agreement.

"I don't think it's surprising," Minardi's Paul Stoddart said.

"We've had enough time to know that Ferrari don't favour this sort of agreement."

There had been fears that BAR-powered Honda, Ferrari's closest rivals last year, would abandon an agreement first mooted at the season-ending Brazilian Grand Prix in October.

Teams spend far more time testing cars and hugely expensive engines at deserted racetracks than they do in front of fans at races.

This year also has more grands prix than ever - 19 - and teams are concerned about staff burnout.

"Everyone said (the) Brazil (agreement) would not survive the winter but it has," Stoddart said. "If anything it is actually stronger.

"At all points Ferrari are invited to participate. If they choose not to do so, that is for their own reasons."

-Reuters
Ferrari want to do as much testing as possible because they know how crucial tyres are and due to the fact that there are so few bridgestone teams left now they have to do basically all bridgestones development. They are not bothered about cutting costs because they are the richest team in f1 in terms of budget(for the time being).
Oh and there is also the reason that ferrari get payed around £25 million a year to test by the other teams, due to their "historical contribution to the sport", ridiculous.

Simon

twctopcat said:
Ralf is indeed a moany old git but i wouldn't discard Trulli that quickly, you don't win monaco unless your pretty good. Having said that Renault have got the better deal with fisi. Him and alonso are class and are up there as best driver combo with kimi/montoya.
trulli is a poor driver, when he lost that 3rd spot at france last season he should have been shot. maybe not sot, but it was a shocking error...

about winning monaco, my guess is thats the easiest race to win in an average car, its just so hard to pass there....

twctopcat

International Regular
broncoman said:
trulli is a poor driver, when he lost that 3rd spot at france last season he should have been shot. maybe not sot, but it was a shocking error...

about winning monaco, my guess is thats the easiest race to win in an average car, its just so hard to pass there....
Monaco is not an easy race to win. There are usually 3 pit stops so if you are that much slower than the car behind you will get overtaken. Agreed on the france move, that was the worst example of sleeping at the wheel ever, though some people say it was done to **** briatore off for not giving trulli another contract. On his day though he is superb, like Austria '97 in the prost, it's just a matter of consistency.

Hoggy31

International Captain
Who does everyone want to get the spare Williams drive, Im hoping Pizzonia can get it but i dont think they'll give it to him because he has a grudge with Mark Webber from when they were at Jaguar and he claimed that they prepared Webber's car better. So from that and the fact Heidfeld's German(BMW), I think Heidfeld will get the drive.

twctopcat

International Regular
I would prefer the better driver, because i'm fed up with poor drivers underachieving like the class of alex yoong etc. From what i've seen i think Heidfeld should get it as he seems to have a better racecraft and is more consistent, very underrated IMO.

Simon

Heidfeld is 10 times the driver Pizzonia is, hopefully nick gets it and williams will be strong...
im hoping Luzzi gets the 2nd red bull seat, cause klein is complete poo...

twctopcat

International Regular
broncoman said:
Heidfeld is 10 times the driver Pizzonia is, hopefully nick gets it and williams will be strong...
im hoping Luzzi gets the 2nd red bull seat, cause klein is complete poo...
Yeah Liuzzi is definitely a class act, you don't win all the things he has without being quality. However with money being important to a team like Redbull i fear they may go with Klein, which is something i hate still about F1 but you have to live with. I think Liuzzi will get his chance eventually though, be it with Redbull or another team.

Hoggy31

International Captain
Klien is stupid, he caused that many accidents last year and even caused accidents with his own team mate.

Simon

both have contracts, theres talk they will split the the races half and half with a view to them both having fulltime seats in 2006, not a bad move i guess....

jot1

State Vice-Captain
twctopcat said:
An abundance of new rules to say the least. Many aerodynamic modifications, one set of tyres to last the whole weekend, and engines to last two weekends to name but a few.
No one has mentioned the new formula for qualifying. I think there's going to be a few big surprises on the starting grid. 2 single laps 2 different times 2 different days then times added together and gets the position on the grid. I wonder if we'll see both qualifying laps on tv or just the one on Saturday as usual? 8-)

twctopcat

International Regular
jot1 said:
No one has mentioned the new formula for qualifying. I think there's going to be a few big surprises on the starting grid. 2 single laps 2 different times 2 different days then times added together and gets the position on the grid. I wonder if we'll see both qualifying laps on tv or just the one on Saturday as usual? 8-)
Depends a lot on the individual countries broadcasting i think. The main cause for concern is that in religious countries the sunday qual laps may coincide with any religious broadcasting programs. However i think the old system sounds good as i think the sat lap will be like the old system with regards to low fuel which will give a good indication of each car's potential before the sunday lap which will be run on race fuel levels.

shaka

International Regular
Nz does not get the qualifying races, only the highlights of Schumacher's and the person on pole.

Piper

International Captain
Hoggy31 said:
This is a thread for Formula One fans such as myself to discuss F1.

Well i'll start off by asking who does everybody think will the title this year?
I think if Schumacher doesnt retire i think he will win it easily and i really hope he does