• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Football team you support

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
BoyBrumby said:
Kwality! I went to uni in Hull. Still keep an eye out for their results.

Why Hull tho, of all teams? ;)
Well i support the West Tigers in Rugby League and thought why not follow the tigers over there...

Just a pity i cant see any games here in OZ...

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Blewy said:
Well i support the West Tigers in Rugby League and thought why not follow the tigers over there...

Just a pity i cant see any games here in OZ...
oh the logic...

are they as crap as wests by any chance?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
broncoman said:
oh the logic...

Ummm, dunno.

They're currently 2nd in League 1 (the third flight of English pro football) so may actually get promotion to The Championship next year. Peter Taylor (England Under-21 boss) is their manager & they have a very large catchment area, so they have the potential to be big. Hull's a big Rugby League town, but The Tigers do all right crowd-wise.

I'll do my did you know? stat now: Hull is the largest conurbation in England never to have had a top-flight association football team. :D

Regarding Rugby League, in England my affections are divided between Leeds & Hull. As a kid I supported Leeds 'cos they were the team most likely to stop Wigan (who won everything), but after going to uni in Hull I naturally took an interest in my local team. In the NRL I follow St George/Illawarra. As a Pom I took to Sydney St George what with St George being our patron saint & stuck with them when they merged.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Regarding Rugby League, in England my affections are divided between Leeds & Hull.
BOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! HISS!!!!!!!!! :p

Boy Brumby said:
As a kid I supported Leeds 'cos they were the team most likely to stop Wigan (who won everything)
errm...what about the team that did stop them and have since won 4 superleagues, 4 Challenge cups and a World Club Challenge? :huh:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
BoyBrumby said:
I'll do my did you know? stat now: Hull is the largest conurbation in England never to have had a top-flight association football team. :D
It's still a hole, though. Some Norwegians must have named the place...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
steds said:
errm...what about the team that did stop them and have since won 4 superleagues, 4 Challenge cups and a World Club Challenge? :huh:
Nah, you've lost me.... ;)

I hate playing the "I'm an old ba$tard" card, but when I started following League (late 80s) it seemed Leeds were the only realistic challengers.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Samuel_Vimes said:
It's still a hole, though. Some Norwegians must have named the place...
Does Hull mean something in Norwegian then? One vowel from hell in English, which is fairly apt... :D

Of course (pulls on anorak) it really isn't called "Hull" at all; it's Kingston-upon-Hull. Hull is the river the city stands on. :happy:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
BoyBrumby said:
Does Hull mean something in Norwegian then? One vowel from hell in English, which is fairly apt... :D

Of course (pulls on anorak) it really isn't called "Hull" at all; it's Kingston-upon-Hull. Hull is the river the city stands on. :happy:
Indeed, Hull means hole. For the record - the Vikings named Grimsby (lit: Grim's town), which I'm led to believe is not far away - seems logical that they named Hull as well.

We've got Hell too, though, it's a place near Trondheim...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Samuel_Vimes said:
Indeed, Hull means hole. For the record - the Vikings named Grimsby (lit: Grim's town), which I'm led to believe is not far away - seems logical that they named Hull as well.

We've got Hell too, though, it's a place near Trondheim...
Grimsby's about 20 miles from Hull. If you like a strong smell of fish it's the place for you!!

Funnily enough my old anthropology tutor (half) jokingly said that he thought the reason people from the North-East are so wild when it comes to nights out is because they are the descendants of the Viking raiders of yore!

Presumably that means your average Scandinavian is the descendent of the dull ones who were left behind! :D

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
BoyBrumby said:
Grimsby's about 20 miles from Hull. If you like a strong smell of fish it's the place for you!!

Funnily enough my old anthropology tutor (half) jokingly said that he thought the reason people from the North-East are so wild when it comes to nights out is because they are the descendants of the Viking raiders of yore!

Presumably that means your average Scandinavian is the descendent of the dull ones who were left behind! :D
Grimsby's only twenty miles as the crow flies. It's a damn sight further by road, and there's a whacking great river in t'way, thankfully.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
broncoman said:
oh the logic...

Simon Hull are actually a good side, not many teams can claim to be promoted 2 years running and if they achieve it this season then they will be one of them...

We also have 2 players in our squad which were rated in the top 25 players outside the premiership..

I am expecting within 2-3 seasons we'll be in the top flight...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Blewy said:
Simon Hull are actually a good side, not many teams can claim to be promoted 2 years running and if they achieve it this season then they will be one of them...

We also have 2 players in our squad which were rated in the top 25 players outside the premiership..

I am expecting within 2-3 seasons we'll be in the top flight...
Money rules football...