• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Open Predictions thread

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
broncoman said:
well done to pratyush for winning the tipping comp, however i think we need to look at restructuring the points system for the french open, im not very happy that ed and i were so dominant in the early rounds and were blown away because of 1 or 2 matches in latter rounds. instead of doubling the points, i think we should look at just adding 1 point per round... so the final is worth 7...
I am glad to win the tipping but even more glad that Safin won the tournament.

Regarding the points system, I quite like the doubling of the points per round as it brings in a lot more excitement and a lot of people have a chance till the end. The 1 point system would make some one a clear leader difficult to over take in the latter, more exciting stages of the tournament.

I think we can do a poll some time before the actual French Open and use the points system which more people decide on.

Over all it was wonderful such a good predicitons league worked out with a lot of people taking part. Congrats to every one who tipped! Specially to Bronco for taking such active interest and putting so much effort tabulating.

I think this Australian Open was one of the better Grand Slams we have had. Quality tennis and so many top players playing to potential right from the unfancied Ferrero for this tournament to the upcoming Nadal and Coria to the aging Agassi to the patriotic Hewitt to the utterly genius Federer and Safin.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I like the idea of the doubling - adds more weight to the finals.

One thing that might make it more fair is for eg the quarter finals onwards, have closed tips (all sent to an email address) - I know some of my later tips were part influenced by what others near the top had gone for.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
I like the idea of the doubling - adds more weight to the finals.

One thing that might make it more fair is for eg the quarter finals onwards, have closed tips (all sent to an email address) - I know some of my later tips were part influenced by what others near the top had gone for.
yeh thats probably fair, cause going into the final there were 6 or 7 people who could mathematically win, but the top 2 were always gonna tip different so only one of them would win...

_Ed_

Stupid me for going off on my weekend road trip and forgetting to leave some tips here first! Would have gone with Hewitt in the final anyway so wouldn't have done any good. Well done Pratyush!

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
Yes from the quarters onwards it should be closed tips IMO too.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Next time I reckon we stick with the current format, but for interests sake have an ajoining competition that has one point for each correct tip, so we can see who actually tipped the most amount of matches correctly. It can also be used as a decider if there is a tie.

Simon

Mister Wright said:
Next time I reckon we stick with the current format, but for interests sake have an ajoining competition that has one point for each correct tip, so we can see who actually tipped the most amount of matches correctly. It can also be used as a decider if there is a tie.
yeh, thats a fair enough call...

biased indian

International Coach
one other way is to have one match in every day a double point one

ie for eg say fedrer vs safin

where fedrer was fav if any one pick safin is going to win he will get double the point and if safdin lose he will lose that much point

Simon

biased indian said:
one other way is to have one match in every day a double point one

ie for eg say fedrer vs safin

where fedrer was fav if any one pick safin is going to win he will get double the point and if safdin lose he will lose that much point
personally i cant agree with that, it unneccisarily complicates things...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I thought the system was fine. I think people picking Safin over Federer in the semi-final deserve a lot more points than someone picking a random no-namer against anotehr no-namer, and happens to win.

The difference between picking a semi-final or final and picking a first round match should be large. Especially since often (note, not always) the latter matches are more unpredictable.