• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Open Predictions thread

twctopcat

International Regular
Hoggy31 said:
Roger Federer (SWI)[1]

As much as i'd love to tip Safin, how could you go past Federer.
Great that the four left are the best four around. I just hope the bear comes up with an upset, he's awesome that man.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Oh my God Nalbandian came so bloody close. Blake, Johannson, Nadal and Nalbandian have all come close to being awesome underdog tips, but just couldn't cross the line.
biased indian said:
if hewy and andy wins then it will see all top four seeds in the semifinal
when was the last time this happened in a grand slam did any one have any idea??
Its been 9 years since that happened.

My tip for tomorrow:

Marat Safin (RUS)[4]

No point going with the crowd. Coming second ain't going to get me anywhere. I've been gambling all tournament, and aren't going to stop now.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i really dont know whos gonna win, but ill go with..............................................

Roger Federer

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
twctopcat said:
Safin is the only one who can beat federer, i look forward to listening to it tomorrow, should be an epic.
I partially agree with that statement. Safin is the best bet to beat Federer based on his natural athletic ability. He's a machine, and at his best, can beat anyone at anytime, including the great Federer. However as much as I love the guy, he is sometimes mentally lacking which hurts him. Going into the Aus Open final last year he had beaten both Roddick and Agassi in immense 5 setters. Terrific stuff, I was cheering for him in both those matches. However I didn't like the way he went into the final. He didn't go in expecting to lose, but dare I say he went in not being too fussed if he lost.

Yeah he made his come back to tennis, but after being Rodick and Agassi, he should have had faith that he was good enough to go that one step further, even if he was physically drained. Desire carries you a long way, Hewitt has shown that many times, as has Goran, Agassi and others who have made come backs (career and match wise). Granted I am not in his head and didn't know what he was thinking, but thats my interpretation of last year's final.

Agassi is still, and until he ends his career, will always be another man that can beat Federer. He almost beat him at the US Open last year. He's mentally strong, very experienced and can beat Federer. Yes he was swept off the court at the Open this year, but I still would never put money against him (neither would I put money for him against Federer mind you.)

But whilst I will be surprised, I won't exactly be too shocked if Safin wins tomorrow. He's fresh, like Federer, and that means he'll have belief in himself. He won't go in thinking that he has an excuse if he loses. He almost beat him at the Masters Cup, this tournament might be the one.

twctopcat

International Regular
Jono said:
I partially agree with that statement. Safin is the best bet to beat Federer based on his natural athletic ability. He's a machine, and at his best, can beat anyone at anytime, including the great Federer. However as much as I love the guy, he is sometimes mentally lacking which hurts him. Going into the Aus Open final last year he had beaten both Roddick and Agassi in immense 5 setters. Terrific stuff, I was cheering for him in both those matches. However I didn't like the way he went into the final. He didn't go in expecting to lose, but dare I say he went in not being too fussed if he lost.

Yeah he made his come back to tennis, but after being Rodick and Agassi, he should have had faith that he was good enough to go that one step further, even if he was physically drained. Desire carries you a long way, Hewitt has shown that many times, as has Goran, Agassi and others who have made come backs (career and match wise). Granted I am not in his head and didn't know what he was thinking, but thats my interpretation of last year's final.

Agassi is still, and until he ends his career, will always be another man that can beat Federer. He almost beat him at the US Open last year. He's mentally strong, very experienced and can beat Federer. Yes he was swept off the court at the Open this year, but I still would never put money against him (neither would I put money for him against Federer mind you.)

But whilst I will be surprised, I won't exactly be too shocked if Safin wins tomorrow. He's fresh, like Federer, and that means he'll have belief in himself. He won't go in thinking that he has an excuse if he loses. He almost beat him at the Masters Cup, this tournament might be the one.
Last year was a bit exceptional because Safin was just coming back from his injuries and did brilliantly despite all this. And he met Federer on a day when he was just too strong. What i like about safin is his belief in his own abilities. He believes that when he plays well, how well his opponent plays is irrelevant, he will win. Some say this is arrogant but i love it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Let's hope he can come up with his best, because anyone that knows tennis and knows Safin knows (heh, that's a weird sentence) that Safin at his best can take it up to Federer. :)

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I really think Safin can beat Federer, and had I been a mile behind I would have tipped him, but I have to go with who I think will win - Federer.

When Simon tips against Hewitt in the 2nd semi-final that is when I will overtake him.

1st Semi Final - Federer

2nd Semi Final - Safin

twctopcat

International Regular
Mister Wright said:
I'm an I.D.I.O.T.

1st Semi Final - Federer

2nd Semi Final - Hewitt
Go easy on yourself, i thought it could be some weird permutation on the point system!

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
twctopcat said:
Go easy on yourself, i thought it could be some weird permutation on the point system!
Sorry I saw The Hives at the BDO on Sunday, so suddenly I have a thing about saying I.D.I.O.T all the time.