• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

BoyBrumby

Englishman
How much do people take these international games into account outside of the World Cup?

In 50 years, will All Black rugby be remembered in this period with no World Cups having been won by the men in black?

It appears to be by the media at least that more or less nothing matters outside of the World Cup.
I think the world cup is the natural focal point for the sport, much as it is with football and I suppose that's only right & proper. As with the round-ball game tho the "best" team doesn't always win; I don't think too many people would seriously contend Italy are the best national football team &, similarly, I doubt too many non-yarpies really think SA are the best union team nor are England the second best.

I think NZ's failure to land the big one is more of an issue for you blokes than it is for the rest of the world. NZ are generally regarded as the yard-stick by which other countries should be judged still. Let's not forget that Brazil failed to win a world cup for 24 years between 1970-94, so there's a precedent for the dominant team in a footballing code failing to land the grandest prize.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
It depends on what happens to New Zealand rugby in the next 50 years, but I'm sure this period will be remembered like '96-97. Eventually people will appreciate that this was the second great All Blacks side of the modern professional era, perhaps the greatest if they keep winning 90% of their Test matches. Those people who'd rather Henry wasn't the coach are welcome to return to '98-2003.

If we lose the next World Cup, we're chokers. If we win it, we can only win it at home. I'm pretty much over caring about the WC. It's irrelevant six months after it's held.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
And I'm over our little argument Francis - you haven't added anything that's worth replying to. Get back to me when you get some sense of perspective.
Don't mind Francis.

He only started watching rugby seriously about three years ago. He's read a lot of books since then and has a good knowledge of rugby history, but doesn't understand the rivalry between NZ and SA, since he convinced himself going into it that SA were better & loves it whenever NZ lose. Thus, his silly line about South Africa always winning when it counts. I can think of a dozen times NZ beat SA when it counted.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ha, Perm's railing against anything going in favour of NZ is bordering on the ****ing boring.
Knew I'd get that response. Yeah, look, Kaino should've been awarded that try, but equally Thorn should have been sin-binned. I thought in general the referee made poor decisions that affected South Africa than the All Blacks.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I watched both the NZ vs SA match and the FRA vs AUS matches on Saturday.

The first game was great, it was so much quicker and the surface wasn't that good either.

In the Wallabies match, Giteau was tremendous, 8 from 8 and he set up all 4 tries.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
How much do people take these international games into account outside of the World Cup?

In 50 years, will All Black rugby be remembered in this period with no World Cups having been won by the men in black?

It appears to be by the media at least that more or less nothing matters outside of the World Cup. The same you could say be applied to cricket and football too.
Seems as though both France and England are hardly concerned with their sides they send to the southern hemisphere. I'd say most people consider some of them to be pretty irrelevant TBH when 30 point victories are recorded. England lost to South Africa by even worser margins in a couple of tests just before the 07 World Cup too from memory.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Fearing for the Bok, scoreline deeply flattered them and given the backline is void of any creativity getting points is a real worry especially when Butch James can’t kick rudimentary penalties and conversions.

Steyn is needed at centre, Jacobs is an impact player (who doesn’t make any impact against sides half decent) and Ndungane is too slow, Jantjes to replace him out wide whilst Percy should take over at fullback.

Silver Arrow

School Boy/Girl Captain
Percy back, Pieterson on the wing, Jacobs still retained at centre, Steyn on the bench.

Kankowski should be in the starting team. How can he not even be on the bench?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Wow. Great score from Januarie there. We'll be seeing that a few times. Ties it up at 28 apiece with conversion to come. Could this be NZ's first home loss since 2003? When we beat them. :ph34r:

EDIT: Steyn slots the conv. 4 mins left. 2 point ball game.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
ABs in the mire here, slightly.
Knows his union, the big fella. 30-28 to the Boks; fully merited but the citing commissioner will be a busy boy after that. Saw a definite eye-gouge, which will be a long, long holiday for the owner of whichever green-shirted hand it was.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And SA hold on for a well-deserved win.

Exciting game that. Neither team was anywhere near their best though IMO, so many errors.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
GFTO Andy Ellis. Your distribution explored new levels of **** tonight.

With the defections of McCaw, Thorn and then Williams, we were always going to struggle up front, but never mind. The 30-game winning streak had to end at some stage.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
GFTO Andy Ellis. Your distribution explored new levels of **** tonight.

With the defections of McCaw, Thorn and then Williams, we were always going to struggle up front, but never mind. The 30-game winning streak had to end at some stage.
Knowing how the NZ rugby public responds to defeat, are we going to see calls for Henry's head soon?

I guess the other issue that might come up is the selection of players who ply their trades elsewhere. I can absolutely see the arguments why the NZ union won't consider it, but what is undeniable is that it weakens the ABs. Kelleher or even Marshall would surely have done better today?

Francis

State Vice-Captain
What tremendous fellows these South African chaps are lads!

A week after a very disappointing performance they rise up and break New Zealand's unbeaten record at home like the World Champions they are. It's just a shame we're not in the amateur days where they'd play a best of three or four in a country. I'd have loved to see South Africa win another game and go away from New Zealand soil in the same regard as Craven's side from the 30s.

But it's another quality moment in the fine history of South African rugby.

Nice drop-goal attempt by Carter btw.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
The Springboks victory has made the Tri-Nations come alive! For so many years the All Blacks would never lose at home you knew as long as they won one away they'd take the tournament. But not this year!

I wouldn't underestimate the Wallabies either. I think they're capable of winning their home games this year and who knows whether they can suprise us with a win elsewhere.

I think we can all agree that a loss to New Zealand benefits Tri Nations, it benefits rugby, it benefits the starving children of the world, it benefits the Elfs in Redcar, it breathes new life into forests and unites cultures.

Knowing how the NZ rugby public responds to defeat...
Golly goodness the Kiwi's public are terrible when their team loses. It's worse than the Aussie cricket team. Yes Wayne Barnes did a bad job, but New Zealand had 13 minutes to win that game when they were deep in France's half. The fact that Henry called for a drop-goal while McCaw refused to obey shows how well they handled the pressure. Then there was last year's Bledisloe Cup, where three tackles were missed on Ashley-Cooper (was it Ashley-Cooper or someone else) before he scored a try. Mortlock made one of his vintage breaks as well. What was discussed after the game? The refereeing of the scrums! Yes it was poor and Gregan got away with murder (he usually did) but New Zealand made crucial mistakes and didn't hold themselves accountable for those mistakes.

Already there have been posts on rugby boards discussing how poor the management was last night and how New Zealand should have won it. It was a close game and every close game has little mistakes which are accentuated by such a narrow loss. New Zealand could have played better, but so could South Africa.

It was a close game but the superior team won.

Last edited: