Page 70 of 238 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120170 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 3559
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Official Rugby Thread

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    Burger is great, he can play the scavanging role or he can be a hard as nails defender and runner, depending on the team's needs and game situation. Bakkies Botha hurled McCaw to the ground, because McCaw wouldn't get off Gary Botha who was lying on the ground. It was slightly uncalled for, but it wasn't a random act. I don't think Rodney So'ialo really had to redeem himself to anyone, other than the idiots who seem to think that Lauaki and Tuiali'i are better options at #8.
    Gee, that's subtle Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    Gee, that's subtle Perm
    Well I reckon those people are idiots, because Soialo is quite clearly the best #8 in the country and should play ahead of Sione Lauaki and Mose Tuiali'i all the time.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Banned
    Well I reckon those people are idiots, because Soialo is quite clearly the best #8 in the country and should play ahead of Sione Lauaki and Mose Tuiali'i all the time.
    No, you're referring to a previous post I made and calling me an idiot. I'll forgive you seeing as you're only 16

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    No, you're referring to a previous post I made and calling me an idiot. I'll forgive you seeing as you're only 16
    No need to get all Mr. Paranoid on my ***. Yes, I'm fully expecting somebody to try and draw that in Paint Turtle.

Banned
    No need to get all Mr. Paranoid on my ***. Yes, I'm fully expecting somebody to try and draw that in Paint Turtle.
    I actually think So'oialo might have put in a performance last night that completely changed my opinion of him FWIW

Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    I think Burger's a thug. At least three times in the first half alone a more stringent ref could've called him up for high shots. He constantly lies on the ball too; time was he'd have got a little shoe for his trouble, but nowadays if anyone tries anything like what I'd consider to be traditional rucking they're likely to find themselves sitting the next ten minutes out. Killing the ball is a cancer in union that needs to be excised.
    - As featured in The Independent.

"Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

Are you also of the opinion that McCaw is a cheat?

Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Are you also of the opinion that McCaw is a cheat?
    No, or not to the same extent. All open-sides cheat to a lesser or greater degree; Neil Back was at his best on the very edge of legality. It's up to the refs to police the break-downs properly & make sure that players know where the line is. As I said, in time gone by you wouldn't lie on the ball at the breakdown if you cared one iota for your health, nowadays the game's going all touchy-feely-newage so some loosies take the piss.

My main gripe with Burger is (aside from his appearance, obv) that he's a high-shot merchant too. He consistently goes above the shoulders.

Not usually one to watch much ruggers, but couldn't help but laugh at the Saffers last night.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    No, or not to the same extent. All open-sides cheat to a lesser or greater degree; Neil Back was at his best on the very edge of legality. It's up to the refs to police the break-downs properly & make sure that players know where the line is. As I said, in time gone by you wouldn't lie on the ball at the breakdown if you cared one iota for your health, nowadays the game's going all touchy-feely-newage so some loosies take the piss.

My main gripe with Burger is (aside from his appearance, obv) that he's a high-shot merchant too. He consistently goes above the shoulders.
    Yeah I agree with what you are saying, FTR I think McCaw made a couple of turnovers that was fairly obvious cheating but the referee didn't see it, expertise from McCaw I suppose you could call it. The anti-rucking thing is getting so bad that even at an 1st XV level in New Zealand you aren't allowed to ruck the person, you can only ruck the ball. Burger does have a dubious tackling style and quite often slips above the shoulders but he hasn't really been pulled up too much, so he'll continue to do it until he does.

State Vice-Captain ohtani's jacket's Avatar
    It's probably the sign of a great loose forward if people hate him. A bit of whinging from the All Blacks about cheap shots --- bah, you won the game. Harden up.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ohtani's jacket View Post
    It's probably the sign of a great loose forward if people hate him. A bit of whinging from the All Blacks about cheap shots --- bah, you won the game. Harden up.
    It's fair enough for them to whinge I reckon. It happens to McCaw every time he plays now and it wont be long before he sustains a serious injury if these cheap and high shots on him continue. Burger in particular was just blatantly trying to injure him. The main problem is his teammates should be dishing out on-field punishment at the time but are not. I would have thought Collins would be the man to do this but I think there is a bit of history between he and McCaw that might be stopping him. Anyway, I wouldn't play McCaw in the return match for this reason, especially now the yarps have written off the Tri-Nations and are apparently resting 20 odd of their best players for the tour.
    Last edited by Fiery; 24-06-2007 at 11:53 PM.

State Vice-Captain ohtani's jacket's Avatar
    No one wants a yellow card these days.

I realise that McCaw had two black eyes after the game, but it's NOTHING compared to what happened in the past between these teams. And the look on the faces of the Boks at the end of the game was payback enough.

I'm sure Jerry will line Burger up in a tackle once of these days, like he did the big French number eight. Pretty much got him subbed off.

As for the Boks pulling out their players, there goes their World Cup hopes, IMO.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ohtani's jacket View Post
    No one wants a yellow card these days.

I realise that McCaw had two black eyes after the game, but it's NOTHING compared to what happened in the past between these teams. And the look on the faces of the Boks at the end of the game was payback enough.

I'm sure Jerry will line Burger up in a tackle once of these days, like he did the big French number eight. Pretty much got him subbed off.

As for the Boks pulling out their players, there goes their World Cup hopes, IMO.

LOL at the fierce jingoism. Blinded by passion.

Thread Information