• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

Fiery

Banned
Yes, we should win this game quite easily, but it wouldn't be a bad thing if we lost. You completely ignored my second point, which I considered to be more important. The Tri Nations and Bledisloe Cup needs a bit of a stir up, surely if we lost the Cup then it would go a great way towards increasing the excitement around the 2008 competition?
I don't care about the Tri-Nations and Bledisloe "needing a bit of a stir up" more than I care about winning them tbh. I wouldn't be happy to sacrifice the title just so a few more people watch it next year...in any case, it's debatable that NZ winning it would decrease the "excitement around the 2008 competition" anyway imo

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't care about the Tri-Nations "needing a bit of a stir up" more than I care about winning it tbh. I wouldn't be happy to sacrifice the title just so a few more people watch it next year...in any case, it's debatable that NZ winning it decreases it's "excitement" imo
It certainly increases the monotony though, I don't think even you can argue against that. We see the same things happen most years and it's getting very boring, especially for the players, one reason a lot of them are jumping ship and going to England. I love winning as much as the next guy, but if we lost the Bledisloe Cup then it would help make the competition better, not just for spectators and fans, but also for players.

Fiery

Banned
It certainly increases the monotony though, I don't think even you can argue against that. We see the same things happen most years and it's getting very boring, especially for the players, one reason a lot of them are jumping ship and going to England. I love winning as much as the next guy, but if we lost the Bledisloe Cup then it would help make the competition better, not just for spectators and fans, but also for players.
We've only won the Tri-nations twice in a row. This year would be 3rd time in a row (if we win). It's not like NZ has totally dominated it from it's conception. The other 2 sides have also won it twice each....and the "reason a lot of them are jumping ship and going to England" is $$$$$$. Guys like Marshall like to use this "tired of the Super 14 & Tri-Nations" whinge to try to slightly deflect the fact that they are simply chasing the big bucks.

Perm

We've only won the Tri-nations twice in a row. This year would be 3rd time in a row (if we win). It's not like NZ has totally dominated it from it's conception. The other 2 sides have also won it twice each....and the "reason a lot of them are jumping ship and going to England" is $$$$$$. Guys like Marshall like to use this "tired of the Super 14 & Tri-Nations" whinge to try to slightly deflect the fact that they are simply chasing the big bucks.
Marshall had been playing in New Zealand for over 10 years and I am sure he was sick of coming up against the same opponents in the NPC, Super 14 and Tri Nations and I applaud him for having the courage to say as much. He doesn't hid the fact that he wanted some good money to end his career, if you actually listened to him when he left our shores then that much would have been clear. Let's face it, New Zealand dominate world rugby, and in particular the Tri Nations. If we lost the Bledisloe Cup, then I can't help but feel it would be good for rugby as a whole, particularly with the Tri Nations and Southern Hemisphere rugby. It's not all about New Zealand, there is a bigger picture, I think you're failing to grasp that idea.

Fiery

Banned
Marshall had been playing in New Zealand for over 10 years and I am sure he was sick of coming up against the same opponents in the NPC, Super 14 and Tri Nations and I applaud him for having the courage to say as much. He doesn't hid the fact that he wanted some good money to end his career, if you actually listened to him when he left our shores then that much would have been clear. Let's face it, New Zealand dominate world rugby, and in particular the Tri Nations. If we lost the Bledisloe Cup, then I can't help but feel it would be good for rugby as a whole, particularly with the Tri Nations and Southern Hemisphere rugby. It's not all about New Zealand, there is a bigger picture, I think you're failing to grasp that idea.
Firstly, yes I did listen to Marshall whining like he always liked to. Secondly, I couldn't really give a rat's about the big picture tbh. Just want my team to win. The game is in a fairly healthy state. Most of the TriNations games are still getting good crowds and we'll be doing our bit for World Rugby in 2011

Perm

Couldn't really give a rat's about the big picture tbh. Just want my team to win. The game is in a fairly healthy state. Most of the TriNations games are still getting good crowds and we'll be doing our bit for World Rugby in 2011
Pretty tempted to throw a rolleyes at you, but given how you responded last time I think I'll refrain. If you think the game is in a fairly healthy state then quite frankly you're mad.

EDIT: Marshall actually tells it like he sees it and isn't restrained by a muzzle like most of the idiots we see talking to the media, the guy actually had a bit of passion which is more than can be said for most of the players thesedays.

Last edited:

Perm

Are we going to have one of these discussions after every rugby game???
Quite possibly. Hopefully they don't come down to a Perm vs Fiery thing everytime, because we sometimes have a similar opinion on the All Blacks, most of the time it's different though.

headhunter

International Vice-Captain
Quite possibly. Hopefully they don't come down to a Perm vs Fiery thing everytime, because we sometimes have a similar opinion on the All Blacks, most of the time it's different though.
I wonder what would happen if the All-Blacks met Oz in the World Cup??
Thing could get interesting then

Perm

I wonder what would happen if the All-Blacks met Oz in the World Cup??
Thing could get interesting then
Could do, yes. Fiery and I will both be supporting New Zealand though, so I wouldn't have that it would cause too much conflict.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
I thought we played well. The media are missing the point. The scoreline isn't as important as the quality of the rugby played. Those handling errors might cost us in a Test with fewer try scoring opportunities, but last night they showed attacking intent & considering we had the ball so much the number was higher.

And Carter did well. But The Joe was just awesome. Great game.

And Leonard won that Cowan debate.

Last edited:

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
We've only won the Tri-nations twice in a row. This year would be 3rd time in a row (if we win). It's not like NZ has totally dominated it from it's conception. The other 2 sides have also won it twice each.
Ah, we have dominated it. We've won it 7 times.

Fiery

Banned
I fail to see how, yes Leonard played okay given the time that he did, but Cowan was also pretty good whenever he was in the side.
Not sure how you fail to see how when Cowan was nothing more than solid and Leonard was quite exciting/promising

Perm

Not sure how you fail to see how when Cowan was nothing more than solid and Leonard was quite exciting/promising
How was Leonard exciting/promising? Yeah he scored a try, big deal. The way some of these idiots (not meaning you) are wanking on about him on Radio Sport is ridiculous, you'd think he was the second coming of Christ. Yes he had a good game, doesn't mean diddly squat in the long-term. Grant Nisbett got it right when he said the nation needs to settle down in regards to Leonard, he had a good game, nothing else.