• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Have to say that the second-string Boks have made a pretty decent fist of both games so far. The ABs are only leading 12-6 with 62 minutes gone.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I thought the AB's played fairly averagely actually, a lot of dropped ball which wasn't very good. In saying that they didn't have too many scrums, which are generally the best place to attack from, and as a result didn't get a stable platform for the backs to run off.

Fiery

Banned
I thought the AB's played fairly averagely actually, a lot of dropped ball which wasn't very good. In saying that they didn't have too many scrums, which are generally the best place to attack from, and as a result didn't get a stable platform for the backs to run off.
McAlistar and Toeava butchered a couple of tries with bad passes and options again but I was pretty happy with the 2nd half performance.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Score blew out a bit towards the end, but given it wasn't a full-strength Boks it's quite hard to know what to draw from the test. It does look like refs are looking for McCaw more tho; he got pinged a coupla times in the second half which were both pretty marginal.

Good try from Carter at the end, but again he isn't bossing games like he should be.

Perm

McAlistar and Toeava butchered a couple of tries with bad passes and options again but I was pretty happy with the 2nd half performance.
I thought McAlister played fairly well actually, he started off strong but faded slightly. He was pretty solid though, same with Toeva. However, up against the midfield they were facing they really should've shredded them to pieces. JP Pietersen, Ruan Pienaar and Jacques Cronje were the best of the South Africans by quite some distance IMO.

Perm

Good try from Carter at the end, but again he isn't bossing games like he should be.
He played better than he has been though, which is a good sign.

Also, how bloody dire is the no rucking bull**** that the refs are dishing out? A load of crap really, if the guy is lying on the ball then he should have stripes on his back in the morning.

Fiery

Banned
Score blew out a bit towards the end, but given it wasn't a full-strength Boks it's quite hard to know what to draw from the test. It does look like refs are looking for McCaw more tho; he got pinged a coupla times in the second half which were both pretty marginal.

It was slightly better from Carter.... a step in the right direction anyway

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Also, how bloody dire is the no rucking bull**** that the refs are dishing out? A load of crap really, if the guy is lying on the ball then he should have stripes on his back in the morning.
Yeah, I think I've commented on it before; a blight on the modern game for mine. The best & most effective way to stop loosies killing the ball is to allow proper rucking.

Perm

Yeah, I think I've commented on it before; a blight on the modern game for mine. The best & most effective way to stop loosies killing the ball is to allow proper rucking.
Exactly, there were several instances of that happening in the game tonight and it's pretty poor when Hayman gets penalised for rucking a guy whose hand/foot was deliberately on the ball. What's even more dire is that this mentality is slowing creeping down the grades, I mean rucking is discouraged in Under 18 rugby here in New Zealand. It's just so crap.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Both New Zealand and Australia better put their best teams on field next week to give the rugby world an entertaining match.

Perm

Both New Zealand and Australia better put their best teams on field next week to give the rugby world an entertaining match.
Exactly, if we lose this game then we've lost the Bledisloe (which may not actually be a bad thing).

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Well, again against the boks we managed to clinch it in the second half. Boks defence was pretty solid (especially in the period when they only had 14 men, and they didn't concede any points iirc) but eventually we managed to break it - once we stopped dropping the ball. We have to get better ball handling because we've had alot of tries go begging over the bast few games because we've dropped it.

Carter did a bit better this game. He's had alot more stick than he deserves lately, and he seems to be getting back on track.

Big game against the aussies next week. Wouldn't mind losing it, tbh.

Perm

Don't understand this mentality tbh
First of all, it would do the All Blacks good to get a bit of a shake up. Imagine what would happen if we lose the Bledisloe Cup, it would be carnage. Second of all, international rugby, namely the Tri Nations, needs a bit more spice in it.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Don't understand this mentality tbh
Don't get me wrong here, I want us to win and I support the ABs but it would be far more interesting to lose the bledisloe + tri nations and the aftermath of that. Let's face it; the majority of people expect the All Blacks to win the 2 cups fairly easy, so it'd be good for the All Blacks to have (as Perm put it) a shake up before the world cup, to keep us on our toes. After all, this year is pretty much entirely about the world cup (in the rugby world).

So, basically it would be good to win next week but losing next week may be benificial in the long term. Time will tell, I guess...

Fiery

Banned
First of all, it would do the All Blacks good to get a bit of a shake up. Imagine what would happen if we lose the Bledisloe Cup, it would be carnage. Second of all, international rugby, namely the Tri Nations, needs a bit more spice in it.
Don't get me wrong here, I want us to win and I support the ABs but it would be far more interesting to lose the bledisloe + tri nations and the aftermath of that. Let's face it; the majority of people expect the All Blacks to win the 2 cups fairly easy, so it'd be good for the All Blacks to have (as Perm put it) a shake up before the world cup, to keep us on our toes. After all, this year is pretty much entirely about the world cup (in the rugby world).

So, basically it would be good to win next week but losing next week may be benificial in the long term. Time will tell, I guess...
The last thing we need is a pumped-up, confident Australia going into the WC. Any spirit-crushing we can give them next week will be beneficial. I don't think the ABs will have any problems with complacency, etc, come cup time. We should be nearly peaking around about now so should be able to win this game quite easily imo

Perm

The last thing we need is a pumped-up, confident Australia going into the WC. Any spirit-crushing we can give them next week will be beneficial. I don't think the ABs will have any problems with complacency, etc, come cup time. We should be nearly peaking around about now so should be able to win this game quite easily imo
Yes, we should win this game quite easily, but it wouldn't be a bad thing if we lost. You completely ignored my second point, which I considered to be more important. The Tri Nations and Bledisloe Cup needs a bit of a stir up, surely if we lost the Cup then it would go a great way towards increasing the excitement around the 2008 competition?