• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
Mortlock was just devastating, as I think that despite all their brilliance in attack, the mauger/mcallister combo from tonight isn't going to cut it.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Hayman call the big turning point, obv, but a huge second half from the Wallies. To stop the ABs getting a point in the half was massive.

Good result for Rugby. :)

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Get someone who can kick goals would help. We lost by 5, had Carter got his kicks we would have at least drawn.
They wouldn't dare criticise the golden boy now would they? The best thing about the whole game (apart from Adam Ashley-Cooper :cool:) was that I didn't have to listen to Tony Johnston spouting his bull****.

James

Cricket Web Owner
They wouldn't dare criticise the golden boy now would they? The best thing about the whole game (apart from Adam Ashley-Cooper :cool:) was that I didn't have to listen to Tony Johnston spouting his bull****.
Probably although he needs a serve. He's not anywhere near on song. The World Cup will be decided on who has the best goal kicker I reckon. That's exactly why we need someone who can slot the goals. We've probably got the worst first five of the main nations currently.

Get Mcalister or Evans in there.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Get someone who can kick goals would help. We lost by 5, had Carter got his kicks we would have at least drawn.
In a perfect world, if Mortlock also got his kicks, we still would have won by a six points.

Some postive signs from Australia, for the first time in like 3 years. Looks like this set of players could get us to semis with a bit of luck. Still think we lack the depth and star power to win the whole thing. Also a more consistant goal kickers would help.

Kiwis in the last two weeks look me if they lack combinations and match hardness. All this experiement and resting players looks like its going to hurt. The centre pairing was woeful. The sin bin changed the match, but you can't do it 3 times in a row and get way with it. Mauger should have been sin binned the first time. However if got sin binned instead of Hayman, i reckon the All Blacks would have still won.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Carter's still only like 12 tho, isn't he? He was bound to have a dip in form sooner or later. &, being a kiwi, it was almost bound to be this year. :ph34r:

I personally think the game was won up front; Dunning & Shepherdson were extremely cute and didn't let Hayman & Woodcock dictate. It must've been nearly half an hour before we had a properly completed scrum. Smith had a better game than McCaw too, which obviously helped. I think refs are looking for McCaw now & it's almost a case of give a dog a bad name; a couple of times he was pinged harshly in the first half.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
It's a relatively recent phenomenon actually. Before there was always a respectful quiet when a kicker lined up a shot at goal. Except for the French, but they're French anyway. I just thought the hush showed a bit of mutual respect. Seems that's gone now.

Anyway, Oz have held their own on the possession front but the ABs have made better use of it. The free-kick they gave at the scrum that lead to Gear's try was just daft; if you're on your own 22 make sure you get the basics right.
Booing away sides has been around Australia and New Zealand for about 10 years now. In Football its been around for like 20 years in South America. Nothing new really.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Booing away sides has been around Australia and New Zealand for about 10 years now. In Football its been around for like 20 years in South America. Nothing new really.
Football's an entirely different sport to be fair, I've never known penalities or free-kicks to be taken in silence in the twenty odd years I've been following it.However, placekicks are still taken in respectful silence at Welford Road (Leicester's home ground and the one I frequent most often) so the practice hasn't entirely died out. I don't really have a huge issue to booing opposition sides in general play (although I'd prefer to cheer my own in all honesty) but still think placekicks should be taken in hush. Just seems like the decent thing to do.

headhunter

International Vice-Captain
Football's an entirely different sport to be fair, I've never known penalities or free-kicks to be taken in silence in the twenty odd years I've been following it.However, placekicks are still taken in respectful silence at Welford Road (Leicester's home ground and the one I frequent most often) so the practice hasn't entirely died out. I don't really have a huge issue to booing opposition sides in general play (although I'd prefer to cheer my own in all honesty) but still think placekicks should be taken in hush. Just seems like the decent thing to do.
Agreed,
and theres no better example of this then in tholmond park when munster play.Uthmost respect for both home and away kickers.

Fiery

Banned
Waiting for Fiery to blame it on Hayman's 10 minute rest...
Aussie scored 14 points in that 10 min period so of course it was a major factor....to suggest it wasn't is just dumb. The main problem for the All Blacks however was terrible handling in the 2nd half in particular. Australia defended extremely well. Still going on about Tony Johnson eh? You've gotta decide whether you're a kiwi or an Aussie, Perm. If you're an Aussie then bugger off over there would ya...or at least stop crapping on your fellow kiwi's and taking this perverse pleasure out of losing that you seem to :dry:

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Aussie scored 14 points in that 10 min period so of course it was a major factor....to suggest it wasn't is just dumb. The main problem for the All Blacks however was terrible handling in the 2nd half in particular. Australia defended extremely well. Still going on about Tony Johnson eh? You've gotta decide whether you're a kiwi or an Aussie, Perm. If you're an Aussie then bugger off over there would ya...or at least stop crapping on your fellow kiwi's and taking this perverse pleasure out of losing that you seem to :dry:
I was actually thinking along the lines that you were going to say the decision to give Hayman a yellow card was a wrong one, but fair play for not doing so. I'll support whoever the hell I want to BTW.

Fiery

Banned
I was actually thinking along the lines that you were going to say the decision to give Hayman a yellow card was a wrong one, but fair play for not doing so. I'll support whoever the hell I want to BTW.
If you would explain why you support Australia then I would accept that but you refuse to for some reason