• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think Burger's a thug. At least three times in the first half alone a more stringent ref could've called him up for high shots. He constantly lies on the ball too; time was he'd have got a little shoe for his trouble, but nowadays if anyone tries anything like what I'd consider to be traditional rucking they're likely to find themselves sitting the next ten minutes out. Killing the ball is a cancer in union that needs to be excised.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Are you also of the opinion that McCaw is a cheat?
No, or not to the same extent. All open-sides cheat to a lesser or greater degree; Neil Back was at his best on the very edge of legality. It's up to the refs to police the break-downs properly & make sure that players know where the line is. As I said, in time gone by you wouldn't lie on the ball at the breakdown if you cared one iota for your health, nowadays the game's going all touchy-feely-newage so some loosies take the piss.

My main gripe with Burger is (aside from his appearance, obv) that he's a high-shot merchant too. He consistently goes above the shoulders.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No, or not to the same extent. All open-sides cheat to a lesser or greater degree; Neil Back was at his best on the very edge of legality. It's up to the refs to police the break-downs properly & make sure that players know where the line is. As I said, in time gone by you wouldn't lie on the ball at the breakdown if you cared one iota for your health, nowadays the game's going all touchy-feely-newage so some loosies take the piss.

My main gripe with Burger is (aside from his appearance, obv) that he's a high-shot merchant too. He consistently goes above the shoulders.
Yeah I agree with what you are saying, FTR I think McCaw made a couple of turnovers that was fairly obvious cheating but the referee didn't see it, expertise from McCaw I suppose you could call it. The anti-rucking thing is getting so bad that even at an 1st XV level in New Zealand you aren't allowed to ruck the person, you can only ruck the ball. Burger does have a dubious tackling style and quite often slips above the shoulders but he hasn't really been pulled up too much, so he'll continue to do it until he does.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
It's probably the sign of a great loose forward if people hate him. A bit of whinging from the All Blacks about cheap shots --- bah, you won the game. Harden up.

Fiery

Banned
It's probably the sign of a great loose forward if people hate him. A bit of whinging from the All Blacks about cheap shots --- bah, you won the game. Harden up.
It's fair enough for them to whinge I reckon. It happens to McCaw every time he plays now and it wont be long before he sustains a serious injury if these cheap and high shots on him continue. Burger in particular was just blatantly trying to injure him. The main problem is his teammates should be dishing out on-field punishment at the time but are not. I would have thought Collins would be the man to do this but I think there is a bit of history between he and McCaw that might be stopping him. Anyway, I wouldn't play McCaw in the return match for this reason, especially now the yarps have written off the Tri-Nations and are apparently resting 20 odd of their best players for the tour.

Last edited:

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
No one wants a yellow card these days.

I realise that McCaw had two black eyes after the game, but it's NOTHING compared to what happened in the past between these teams. And the look on the faces of the Boks at the end of the game was payback enough.

I'm sure Jerry will line Burger up in a tackle once of these days, like he did the big French number eight. Pretty much got him subbed off.

As for the Boks pulling out their players, there goes their World Cup hopes, IMO.

Fiery

Banned
No one wants a yellow card these days.

I realise that McCaw had two black eyes after the game, but it's NOTHING compared to what happened in the past between these teams. And the look on the faces of the Boks at the end of the game was payback enough.

I'm sure Jerry will line Burger up in a tackle once of these days, like he did the big French number eight. Pretty much got him subbed off.

As for the Boks pulling out their players, there goes their World Cup hopes, IMO.
:thumbsup:

Fiery

Banned
It's true, to a certain extent. I always laugh at how the NZ rugby public react after games, they are a pack of whinging ****s.
It's cause people love the game and expect a very high standard. You stick to your cheerleading mate

Perm

It's cause people love the game and expect a very high standard. You stick to your cheerleading mate
Hahahahahaha, dire. I love the game as well and there are few things more beautiful than seeing rugby played to a very high standard, that was one reason I was so excited about the Saffies in the first 20 minutes. Their forward domination of us was totally massive, an excellent sight to see.

I don't see the point in whinging though, at the rate you're going you'll turn out to be as bad as Tony Johnson.

Fiery

Banned
Hahahahahaha, dire. I love the game as well and there are few things more beautiful than seeing rugby played to a very high standard, that was one reason I was so excited about the Saffies in the first 20 minutes. Their forward domination of us was totally massive, an excellent sight to see.

I don't see the point in whinging though, at the rate you're going you'll turn out to be as bad as Tony Johnson.
I like Tony Johnson

Perm

Johnson > Mexted
Nah, Murray says some silly things and grind peoples gears but at the end of the day he has some decent comments to make and isn't a biased **** like Johnson. Of course John Drake>>>>>>>>>>>both of them.

Fiery

Banned
Nah, Murray says some silly things and grind peoples gears but at the end of the day he has some decent comments to make and isn't a biased **** like Johnson. Of course John Drake>>>>>>>>>>>both of them.
tbh I haven't noticed Johnson to be that biased. Just calls it as he sees it so must see it as I do I suppose

Perm

tbh I haven't noticed Johnson to be that biased. Just calls it as he sees it so must see it as I do I suppose
I suggest you listen next time to how much he whinges when we are having trouble and how great he thinks we are when we win.