Page 4 of 238 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 3559
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Official Rugby Thread

  1. #46
    First Class Debutant cric_manic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South of Heaven
    Posts
    831
    cant wait for the lions to come to nz its going to be awsome as i havent seem them play nz before

    i feel nz should beat the loins pretty eaisly as there back line is no where as good as ours and the foward pack will be equal,if nz gets good go-foward ball its lights out for the lions as our backline is full of stars but as all games of rugby its going to be won in the fowards

  2. #47
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    44,425
    Quote Originally Posted by cric_manic
    cant wait for the lions to come to nz its going to be awsome as i havent seem them play nz before

    i feel nz should beat the loins pretty eaisly as there back line is no where as good as ours and the foward pack will be equal,if nz gets good go-foward ball its lights out for the lions as our backline is full of stars but as all games of rugby its going to be won in the fowards
    I think that's true, if NZ get anyhting like parity of possession your backs will tear The Lions to shreds.

    I reckon that's easier said than done tho, your tight 5 is pretty lightweight (certainly compared to England's or The Springbok's) & I'd take a back row of Hill, Dallaglio & Corry over Tuiali'i, McCaw & So'oialo every single time.

    Just have to hope Hill's fit & Loz tours!!
    - As featured in The Independent.

    "Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

  3. #48
    Hall of Fame Member Smudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Deep, deep south
    Posts
    16,605
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    So Martin Johnson has called a press conference to announce his testimonial will take place at Twickers the same day as The Lions play their first tour match in NZ.

    Says Stuart Henry, a member of the testimonial committee: "It can be taken as a fair assumption that Martin's involvement in the Twickenham fixture will mean he will not be going on the British Lions tour."

    Experts in double speak will note that:

    a) Johnson himself didn't say it; &
    b) It's not the most categorical denial ever "It can be taken as a fair assumption that..." isn't "Under no circumstances will Martin be seeking to crown his career by winning a Lions series in New Zealand for only the second time ever"

    I remain cautiously optimistic
    I remain cautiously optimistic that he won't come.

    Realistically, how do you think you will go against us? I'm picking 2-1 to NZ..

  4. #49
    First Class Debutant cric_manic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South of Heaven
    Posts
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    I think that's true, if NZ get anyhting like parity of possession your backs will tear The Lions to shreds.

    I reckon that's easier said than done tho, your tight 5 is pretty lightweight (certainly compared to England's or The Springbok's) & I'd take a back row of Hill, Dallaglio & Corry over Tuiali'i, McCaw & So'oialo every single time.

    Just have to hope Hill's fit & Loz tours!!
    McCaw is better than eny of your players in the back row he is one of nz greatest number 7 and you will see he will tear through the lions fowards

    and our foward back is lightweight? thats a myth our pack has improved since the world cup and is not lightweight

    the loins dont have a lock as good as C.Jack or robinson
    they dont have a number 7 as good as McCaw
    and marshall is the better halfback of the 2 sides


  5. #50
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    44,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltman
    I remain cautiously optimistic that he won't come.

    Realistically, how do you think you will go against us? I'm picking 2-1 to NZ..
    It's gonna be hard, in our favour it's quite a short tour so hopefully we won't have your provincial sides knocking lumps off too many of our top fellas before the tests.

    Your backs are scary tho. I don't think too many Lions backs would be picked in a composite team; maybe a fit Wilkinson, maybe O'Driscoll, but that's it.

    Our best (only?) chance is a ten-man game. Pains me to agree, but 2-1 NZ a v fair call.

  6. #51
    Hall of Fame Member Smudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Deep, deep south
    Posts
    16,605
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    I think that's true, if NZ get anyhting like parity of possession your backs will tear The Lions to shreds.

    I reckon that's easier said than done tho, your tight 5 is pretty lightweight (certainly compared to England's or The Springbok's) & I'd take a back row of Hill, Dallaglio & Corry over Tuiali'i, McCaw & So'oialo every single time.

    Just have to hope Hill's fit & Loz tours!!
    Our tight five gave the French a solid going over - Marconnet, considered possibly the best prop in the world got popped on numerous occasions.

    For starters, Hill is about a 10 % chance of touring (I heard that from a very close friend of his - an Englishman no less). Tuiali'i won't start - it will be Collins, McCaw and So'oialo, whose ability to get the ball away in the tackle against France was nothing short of extraordinary.

    Quote Originally Posted by "cric manic
    the loins dont have a lock as good as C.Jack or robinson
    Yes they do - Irishman Paul O'Connell is a very classy player, and Keith Robinson's career is pretty much over (according to my sources).

    As for Marshall, I'm not even sure he will start, although both he and Kelleher are better than what the Lions have to offer IMHO.

  7. #52
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    44,425
    Quote Originally Posted by cric_manic
    and our foward back is lightweight? thats a myth our pack has improved since the world cup and is not lightweight
    You must have a different New Zealand pack in mind. The one I'm talking about were shunted all over the park by The Taffs in the autumn!!

    & I bet no Welsh forwards make The Lions starting 8.

  8. #53
    Hall of Fame Member Smudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Deep, deep south
    Posts
    16,605
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    It's gonna be hard, in our favour it's quite a short tour so hopefully we won't have your provincial sides knocking lumps off too many of our top fellas before the tests.
    Your backs are scary tho. I don't think too many Lions backs would be picked in a composite team; maybe a fit Wilkinson, maybe O'Driscoll, but that's it.

    Our best (only?) chance is a ten-man game. Pains me to agree, but 2-1 NZ a v fair call.
    That shouldn't matter anyway - you are taking 44 players, so you won't have to worry about midweek matches, and there aren't too many weekend matches before the tests.

  9. #54
    First Class Debutant cric_manic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South of Heaven
    Posts
    831
    did you see us destroy the french pack in about 20 minutes we destroyed them so much they wanted to depower the scrums

  10. #55
    Hall of Fame Member Smudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Deep, deep south
    Posts
    16,605
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    You must have a different New Zealand pack in mind. The one I'm talking about were shunted all over the park by The Taffs in the autumn!!

    & I bet no Welsh forwards make The Lions starting 8.
    Somerville, Mealamu and Woodcock will not be the front row. It will be Hayman, Oliver and either Woodcock or Somerville (or maybe even Taemoepeau) with Mealamu on for the last 20-30 mins.

    And as I said before, Tuiali'i will not be at 8.

    Maxwell will start before Williams, most likely.

  11. #56
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    44,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltman
    That shouldn't matter anyway - you are taking 44 players, so you won't have to worry about midweek matches, and there aren't too many weekend matches before the tests.
    True in theory, but our world class player pool is pretty shallow. A few injuries to key players & we're squarely banged up the pooper!

    I'm hopeful D1ck Hill will make it; he's certainly worth taking on the off chance. It was his injury against the crims that was the turning point last Lions tour.

    I certainly wouldn't ever pick any other back row forward ahead of him.

  12. #57
    U19 Cricketer Richard Rash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    P Town
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    True in theory, but our world class player pool is pretty shallow. A few injuries to key players & we're squarely banged up the pooper!

    I'm hopeful D1ck Hill will make it; he's certainly worth taking on the off chance. It was his injury against the crims that was the turning point last Lions tour.

    I certainly wouldn't ever pick any other back row forward ahead of him.
    I would pick Richie McCaw ahead of him any day of the week.. At this stage how many players from the countries other than England will make the starting line up.. obviously O'Driscall but he is the only one i can think of. Maybe a couple in the forwards?

    Is anyone actually looking forward to the Super 12.. I can't say i am looking forward to the prospect of going to the cake tin and watching the Canes get thrashed every week.. once again they were unable to draft effectively. They really really needed a quality first five. IMO Auckland should have allowed McCallister to come down and play for us. I mean what good is it for NZ rugby to have three quality five eights in both Auckland and Cantubury. (Spencer, McCaillister, Lavea and Mehrtens, Carter, Mauger). I know Mehrts wanted to stay down in Christchurch but surely if the NZRFU want the Super 12 franchises to have an even talent spread then more cooperation is needed from the franchises to ensure that the best players are getting sufficent game time and not wasted on the bench and that all five sides are competitive

  13. #58
    International Vice-Captain Anna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,025
    Bath kick butt! Sale butt that is I looked in The Times yesterday & today & there wasn't a single mention of that match...I'm insensed! It was much more exciting than Gloucester v Bristol, yet that got a whole page....I'm going to complain!!

    COME ON YOU BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


    "One day lad, all this will be yours"
    "What, the curtains?"

  14. #59
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    44,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rash
    I would pick Richie McCaw ahead of him any day of the week.. At this stage how many players from the countries other than England will make the starting line up.. obviously O'Driscall but he is the only one i can think of. Maybe a couple in the forwards?
    You can keep him! He's good, but seriously tho, not in Richard Hill's class. Colin Charvis made him look pretty ordinary last autumn & I don’t reckon Charvis’ll be in The Lions starting XV. I'd take Betsen over McCaw too, cheap-shot merchant tho he may be.

    FWIW this is my (assuming everybody's fit & available for selection) Lions XV:

    1) Woodman (ENG)
    2) Byrne (IRE)
    3) Vickery (ENG)
    4) Johnson(c) (ENG)*
    5) O'Connell (IRE)
    6) Corry (ENG)
    7) Hill (ENG)
    8) Dallaglio (ENG)**
    9) Dawson (ENG)
    10) Wilkinson (ENG)
    11) Lewsey (ENG)
    12) D’Arcy (IRE)
    13) O’Driscoll (IRE)
    14) Cueto (ENG)
    15) Robinson (ENG)

    * If Jonno finally decides not to tour Malcolm O’Kelly to replace

    ** If Loz decides against tour I’d move Corry to No. 8 & play Colin Charvis @ Blindside

  15. #60
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    23,827
    *gasp* richard rash? is this a permanent return?

Page 4 of 238 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Zeke's Official Banner Thread!
    By Zeke in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 13-08-2011, 11:58 PM
  2. Official Pro-Wrestling Thread (WWE, TNA, ROH etc.)
    By Jono in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 7861
    Last Post: 14-05-2011, 08:56 AM
  3. Official WCC Hall of Fame Thread
    By Blewy in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-02-2005, 05:23 PM
  4. The Official County Championship thread
    By chris.hinton in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 23-04-2004, 04:41 PM
  5. Vintage Cricket - Official Drafting Thread
    By JohnnyA in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 283
    Last Post: 07-02-2004, 09:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •