• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

Ali TT

International Debutant
Yeah the ball rolled off the French bloke's foot but unfortunately at that end of Murrayfield the laws of gravity don't apply so the ball couldn't possibly have been on the ground.
But could've been on a hand or Infront of the line.

Molehill

International Captain
But could've been on a hand or Infront of the line.
If he’d given the try (as he should) would there have been any grounds to disallow it?

also, why did both games yesterday have S Hemisphere refs? Seems needless and not great from an environmental point of view.

Ali TT

International Debutant
If he’d given the try (as he should) would there have been any grounds to disallow it?

also, why did both games yesterday have S Hemisphere refs? Seems needless and not great from an environmental point of view.
Think it depends on what he asked but presumably if he'd been asked for conclusive proof to overturn then it would've been a try.

I feel like there could be more dialogue between the ref and TMO though, with the ref explaining what he said to the TMO as much as the other way around.

Do the SH refs get flown over or are they already NH based?

Chin Music

State 12th Man
Scrappy match but England did muster a degree of control in the second half to leave the Welsh scoreless. Can't see them challenging France or Ireland and Scotland should fancy themselves but they have a knack shooting themselves in the foot.
Although I don't think England have truly got it together, I honestly think they've come on a bit from what we saw last year. There is at least an attempt to go through the backs, which there rarely ever is with Farrell at fly-half. Not convinced with Mitchell at scrum-half though. Often seems to delay the pass longer than he should.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I dunno. I mean yeah, two wins are two wins, but we've beaten (by consensus) the two poorest teams in the comp by a total of 5 points.

Guess we'll find out more when we play someone decent.

Molehill

International Captain
I dunno. I mean yeah, two wins are two wins, but we've beaten (by consensus) the two poorest teams in the comp by a total of 5 points.

Guess we'll find out more when we play someone decent.
Yeah, I suspect those will be the only two wins achieved by England in the comp, although both margins I think probably flattered the losers.

Having said that, starting to think that all games not involving Ireland may well be close run affairs although I wouldn't be surprised if England run them close at Twickenham - the kind of game they'll be up for.

Do the SH refs get flown over or are they already NH based?
Flown over - the NZ ref in the England game was doing just his 2nd International, yet they give him the 2 teams in the 6 Nations with probably the biggest rivalry and support him with a female touch judge (not being misogynist, just pointing out that you have a team of officials probably not used to being in front of 80k people).

Although I don't think England have truly got it together, I honestly think they've come on a bit from what we saw last year. There is at least an attempt to go through the backs, which there rarely ever is with Farrell at fly-half. Not convinced with Mitchell at scrum-half though. Often seems to delay the pass longer than he should.
Not always his fault, the England ruck clearout is not fast enough. Compare it to Ireland's and you see how Gibson-Park has access to quicker ball. I think it also boils down to Borthwick's tactics too, I'm not sure there's anymore attempt to pass through the backs really. I'd like to see Smith replace Ford.

Heboric

International Debutant
And so it begins:

I knows its only camps, but nice to see Stormers players in the new picks.
We need to beat the Irish later on this year

Molehill

International Captain

36 minutes of ball in play really isn't too bad IMO, but the time spent waiting for scrums needs to be dealt with. It's almost at the point where an accidental knock-on in the opponent's half is a decent tactical option for seeing out the last five minutes of a game.
The biggest issue for me is the re-set scrum. Fine to keep the clock rolling whilst setting the first scrum, but the moment it goes into re-set (more often than not), then you stop the clock and start again when the ball has been fed.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Super Rugby starts this weekend with one Australian club under administration and a general lack of interest

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Watching QLD v NSW and the refs spent 5 minutes discussing a QLD knock on before awarding them a penalty try & giving a Blues player 10 minutes in the bin

The game can’t get out of its own way

I support Queensland and it might have been technically correct but this is ridiculous and they wonder why nobody watches this ****

Last edited:

Ali TT

International Debutant
Watching QLD v NSW and the refs spent 5 minutes discussing an obvious Queensland knock on before awarding them a penalty try & giving a Blues player 10 minutes in the bin

The game can’t get out of its own way
Yes, can be terribly slow. Also, the penalty try is enough punishment in these incidents.