• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

ripper868

International Coach
Scots on the comeback...good ticker being shown here.

Edit: Scots in with a sniff to pinch this, looked dead on their feet 10-15 minutes ago.

Last edited:

Molehill

International Captain
Hard to know what to make of these matches. The French still seem a long way from full fitness and are obviously timing it to peak in 4 weeks time. Can't help wondering if the Scots are either very good or will be done by the time they meet the big boys.

England losing Farrell can only be a good thing really, looks like he'll get a 6 week ban. Ford to control at 10 with Smith to come off the bench with pace makes sense. It also sorts out the centre issue as well as you can't be tempted to stick Farrell there. Slightly more positive signs in the pack, if they can create a back row out of Earl, Curry and Lawes they could be on to something.

Finally the ref, not the first time he's lost control of a match and gone ballistic with cards. I don't see how you can card a prop who's literally just come on the pitch. Just give penalties for scrum infringements, they're not what yellows are for. Everything kicked off from there. By the end, it felt like he gave a yellow to Wales to try and make up for his earlier **** ups. He's too young, not been exposed to high profile matches enough and simply out of his depth.

England will probably put up a half decent defensive display in Dublin but lose by about 15 is my prediction.

CarlsbergXpress

U19 Vice-Captain
England will probably put up a half decent defensive display in Dublin but lose by about 15 is my prediction.
Unfortunately this is how I feel they will perform against any decent team they face in the WC. Unless we dominate up front I don't see where the tries are coming from and I don't see Eng dominating Ireland, SA, NZ or France up front. Jeez Argentina is going to be a tough game for that matter.

Molehill

International Captain
Unfortunately this is how I feel they will perform against any decent team they face in the WC. Unless we dominate up front I don't see where the tries are coming from and I don't see Eng dominating Ireland, SA, NZ or France up front. Jeez Argentina is going to be a tough game for that matter.
Agreed, they just don't seem to ever play with much common sense either. If you pick the ball up in broken play then chances are there are gaps to exploit, but they always seem to just revert back to their 'processes' no matter what.

And I still have no idea what Steward was doing on that penalty try. Why would you not let the player catch it then land then tackle him, would've been a fairly straightforward shove into touch. It just feels like they're incapable of thinking for themselves most of the time.

ripper868

International Coach
If Farrell plays this weekend, and cops a high shot, the player penalised/sanctioned should be let off under mitigating circumstances. Those circumstances being Farrell should be suspended and not playing.

ripper868

International Coach
The article linked said:
However, they need strong enough evidence and a strong enough argument to overturn the panel's original verdict. But even if unsuccessful, the governing body feel they need to send a message supporting their officials as well as the Head Contact Process.
I'll play lawyer, here's some supporting evidence:
1692278878241.png1692278764480.png1692278808777.png1692278838022.png

Reverse angle shows clear prep to deliver a shoulder charge, drops his arm to open the shoulder, drives through with said shoulder, into the head of Wales Player. Both of Farrell's feet actually leave the ground just after the impact as he lengthens his body upwards, showing intent to hit with force.

1692279178215.png

Re the 'mitigation' of Basham being moved by George, he is moved, but is moved towards Farrell's outside shoulder, which he didn't' use to deliver the hit, but repositioned his body to ensure he delivered the hit with his inside shoulder, which was prepped and ready to deliver the tackle he delivered.

He's done it before, is likely do it again, and previous attempt at rehabilitation have proved useless.
Entry point: 6 weeks
Priors: 4 weeks
Apology and Fine: minus 1 week
Total: 9 week ban, with 12 months suspended sentence in case of reoffence within next 10 years.

Images courtesy 4:29 to 4:35 of this video -
(primarily watched for imagery of said tackle, not in support of the corruption claims, your honour)

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm not entirely unsympathetic to Farrell, it's obviously instinctive because no one would "decide" to make a tackle like that in a grim WC warm-up game. But if he physically can't stop himself headhunting then it's not fair to ask opponents to share the pitch with him.