• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

Molehill

International Captain
Factor in the fact that RA is basically broke and hard to see them getting what they need from league
Ironically, the RFU in England seems to be overflowing with cash. Ticket prices for an England game at Twickenham are now something stupid like £150 for the big ones and it sells out too. The problem is, you make prices that high and only one type of person is going. Whilst rugby is at least taught in all the schools, there is (like cricket) a large proportion of top players coming through the Private set up again.

I suspect the top brass don't really care as the balance sheet looks great. Sadly, like a Lord's Test Match, it doesn't seem to matter what price you put on tickets, certain members of society will just turn up anyway for a social.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Skelton goes from reserve to captain for World Cup :blink:

Seems more like a squad for ‘27 than September but hard to blame him as the “established” players shouldn’t be automatic picks on form anyway

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Think the biggest difference between 03 (and the late 90's/early 00's) is the Wallabies had won 2 of the last 3 RWC's, were regularly competitive with and occasionally considered as the best in the world (see names: Eales, Larkham, Gregan, Smith, Roff, Horan, Little, Burke, Latham, with a splash of league crossover successes in Tuqiri, Sailor (ish), Rogers and Walker, and basically being a whole bunch more likeable and 'regular' than the brat packs to follow of JOC, Cooper, Beale et al.

Think the biggest part is 20 years of losing means kids don't want a part of it, it's easier to bandwagon on a League team than it is to only have the Wallabies. The lack of international contest doesn't seem to matter in League, it's always been streets ahead of rugby in NSW and QLD for eyeballs and boots on feet. AFL ditto in Victoria.

I don't think the answer is in more established league crossovers, the answer is in getting those kids at the grassroots, which as Burgey pointed out doesn't happen, especially with the NRL gifting contracts to any kid who can tackle and run quick from age 10.

It's also not regularly on FTA tv, which NRL and AFL are, so again, it's just not seen by the masses, and therefore not embraced. Heck, I grew up in a rugby family, but was all league/sokkah until I was about 10 years old as it's what I mostly saw on tv. I didn't get into rugby proper until some family friends got Fox Sports and we'd have regular BBQ's to watch the rugby at their place.

having not live din Aus for 8 years now, I can't comment much about if the 'heartlands' of Sydney's East still even give a toss about rugby, as I assume most of those types died off in the early 00's.

I hope 2027 is a huge success, but also won't be surprised if we do and England 2015 and go out in the pools of our own tournament.

Go the Wallabies.
AFL will completely destroy union in Sydney imo

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Ironically, the RFU in England seems to be overflowing with cash. Ticket prices for an England game at Twickenham are now something stupid like £150 for the big ones and it sells out too. The problem is, you make prices that high and only one type of person is going. Whilst rugby is at least taught in all the schools, there is (like cricket) a large proportion of top players coming through the Private set up again.

I suspect the top brass don't really care as the balance sheet looks great. Sadly, like a Lord's Test Match, it doesn't seem to matter what price you put on tickets, certain members of society will just turn up anyway for a social.
Cricket being different because the grounds are tiny though right?

Flem274*

123/5
AFL is probably the best sport in the world at fan engagement. Melbourne having the Oceania sporting culture and the same population as NZ but packed into one city helps a lot, but they do a lot of good work as well.

I don't think the Wallabies have a class problem so much as a depth problem and a severe mental block. The NRL solves its depth issues by taking from and not paying a cent towards one of their major talent development factories (NZ Schoolboys Rugby). Australian RU can't really access, or does not want to lower themselves to access, that particular pool.

I don't think it's a safety issue either. League is far more relaxed regarding frankly stupid dangerous **** and it's probably soft match fixed to boot so that isn't the issue. AFL isn't exactly safe either.

Rugby Union is just not putting the work in. Kids and their parents like contact sport. Rugby is fun when you don't play like Gatland's Wales. Aussies also prefer winners and the mental hold the All Blacks have over Australian rugby is likely unpalatable to fans.

Chin Music

State 12th Man
Give him three years and he'll have a great chance of making the Wallabies.
Having said that, he may have some stiff competition from Jeremy Ponsonby-Button of Joeys who's really looking the goods atm.
Blimey, the Aussie rugby team seems to have more aristos than England do. I mean you had Adam Ashley-Cooper a while back!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
No Hooper for the Wobblies' squad? Big call.

Not quite what he was, but if he's not one of the best 33 union players in Oz you blokes are clearly doing pretty fugging well for cattle!

ripper868

International Coach
M Hoops ain't what he used to be, is also fighting a calf niggle from memory - possibly one of those syndesmosis things that take 3-9 years to heal.

1 of 2 things happen this world cup, we implode spectacularly, or Carter Gordon is the 2nd coming of Stephen Larkham and Mark Ella. Take your pick.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah Hooper is crocked and rumour has it that he wouldn’t be available until at least after the group stage anyway

Molehill

International Captain
Have seen a lot of Skelton in European Club Rugby, he's never struck me as captain material. In fact, he's often been used from the bench as an impact player.

ashley bach

International Captain
LOL at the scoreline of 6-0 at halftime in this day and age of Union.
Either the defence is superb or the attack is toothless and lame.

ripper868

International Coach
England leading sure, but only as Wales are doing their best to be terrible. This game deserves a 9-9 draw tbh.

ripper868

International Coach
Steward deserves Red here, takes eye off the ball and only to the man from 2 metres away, and still runs through him.

Yellow is weak there, get that he only landed on his shoulder, but that's low level from Steward.
Edit: unless it's under review to be upgraded, but not sure that's a thing yet in these tests.

ripper868

International Coach
And Farrell deserves 6 months. How many times....

****s his fist, shoulder, everything. Find a new 10 for the RWC Borthwick.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well I wouldn't normally be putting up the bunting for England beating a shithouse second string Leekist team, but we are where we are.

weeman27bob

International Regular
Comprehensive victory for England there. Never in doubt, would be shocked if we don't make the final of the world cup.

ripper868

International Coach
If it wasn't a RWC year it'd be minimum 8 weeks, but it is, so he'll miss the next 2 warmups because he said sorry to a guy who went off concussed.

But yep, Ford did a much better job, and OF being binned probably won England the match (along with Wales being Wales).

The real question is, Ireland by how much next week (if they both put out full strength teams)