• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Don't really think there's any told you so when it comes to the Wallabies losing tbh. I've not seen the game, just the scoreline, and thinks it's probably a fair reflection of where the team are at. Bledisloe stays in NZ for another 10 years at this rate.
There’s just no depth. Our back three were terrified of the high ball while JOC starting at 10 says enough

ashley bach

International Captain
Wow that was some performance from the All Blacks, very impressive and counted the Bok brilliantly. Getting Mounga in at first five certainly made a whale of a difference and notice how he defended the 10 channel all night.

Be very interesting to see what happens with Cane and especially Foster now.
From what I've heard, and I'd be happy to hear different if someone knows otherwise, is that Robertson doesn't want a bar of it.
That is, at least for this season, which I'm guessing will include the remainder of the rugby championship as well as the end of year tour to Europe.
Fair enough too, guess he doesn't want the dirty scraps leftover from what Foster has created to date.
Having said that, Foster now has the chance to learn from his errors and turn a new page, and with plenty of matches left in the season the chances
are still there for massive improvements, and there's no better way to start than a win at the formidable Ellis park.

ashley bach

International Captain
What I couldn't quite believe in his post match interview was him saying that was their best performance all year. Was he actually watching the game? Was there a single aspect of play where we actually dominated the Bok? The general public aren't interested in "improving", "the right track", etc - they want wins and that's all that matters.

With Scott Robertson being heavily linked to the England job - and if the media is to be believed with Razor having met the powers that be in Sydney recently (during England's tour), it will be an absolute joke if he slips through NZ Rugby fingers and Foster leads us to the World Cup.

With the way Australia are playing, the Bledisloe is under serious threat this year.
Isn't it amazing just what can happen in the space of a week? Bet you don't think too seriously about that happening any more.
Think the Wallabies will be the All Blacks bashing bunnies for a wee while yet:)

James

Cricket Web Owner
Isn't it amazing just what can happen in the space of a week? Bet you don't think too seriously about that happening any more.
Think the Wallabies will be the All Blacks bashing bunnies for a wee while yet:)
Given all the injuries the Wallabies have I wasn't overly surprised. I still reckon a full strength team would push the All Blacks.

James

Cricket Web Owner
From what I've heard, and I'd be happy to hear different if someone knows otherwise, is that Robertson doesn't want a bar of it.
That is, at least for this season, which I'm guessing will include the remainder of the rugby championship as well as the end of year tour to Europe.
Fair enough too, guess he doesn't want the dirty scraps leftover from what Foster has created to date.
Having said that, Foster now has the chance to learn from his errors and turn a new page, and with plenty of matches left in the season the chances
are still there for massive improvements, and there's no better way to start than a win at the formidable Ellis park.
If Foster stays, it's a weak decision from the NZRU in my opinion. Winning at Ellis Park doesn't change the fact that we've been poor for the past 2 years and need a change. As has been talked about elsewhere and within the media, that was a win for Ryan's coaching ability, not Foster.

The South Africans are saying tongue in cheek that the best thing to come out of the loss is that Foster is potentially going to lead the All Blacks to the World Cup. Totally agree with them if that's the case.

I expect all hell to break loose within NZ if Foster is retained.

ashley bach

International Captain
If Foster stays, it's a weak decision from the NZRU in my opinion. Winning at Ellis Park doesn't change the fact that we've been poor for the past 2 years and need a change. As has been talked about elsewhere and within the media, that was a win for Ryan's coaching ability, not Foster.

The South Africans are saying tongue in cheek that the best thing to come out of the loss is that Foster is potentially going to lead the All Blacks to the World Cup. Totally agree with them if that's the case.

I expect all hell to break loose within NZ if Foster is retained.
The thing that might bugger it up now is if the blacks win their last 6 matches this year in style.
Hard to drop a coach after 7 good wins so it makes for a tricky situation.

Flem274*

123/5
Foster is 100% a lesser coach than many but it's pretty funny to see how still good we are when we have forwards doing their job and better screens for the high ball catchers. As usual the debate will rage around the backline (I see Havili is copping some flak, but I think that's by those with the agenda of Jordan to 15 but are finally admitting Jordie Barrett just might be quite good so they can no longer pretend he's only there for his name).

Like, our backs were really really dumb on Saturday with some of their choices and execution, directly leading to two SA tries (Havili exit kick and Mo'unga choosing not to exit off kick off but isolate himself), but it didn't matter because we kept the ball secure. The backs have played smarter rugby for less result.

Tyrel Lomax isn't/wasn't Super Rugby standard so to see him cope in the scrum with that test was a huge endorsement for Jason Ryan. I wanted Lomax cut from the Hurricanes before Ellis Park.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Oh well... time to move on and support the team moving forward.

Sucks that we're now going to lose Razor to the English by the looks of it.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't really think there's any told you so when it comes to the Wallabies losing tbh. I've not seen the game, just the scoreline, and thinks it's probably a fair reflection of where the team are at. Bledisloe stays in NZ for another 10 years at this rate.
From the highlights it looks like Argentina figured out one or two specific ball handling weaknesses in receiving high balls and transitioning out of rucks and mauls and just spammed the hell out of them with their rush defense.

ripper868

International Coach
Wallabies bring Bernard Foley I to the squad for South Afrcia tests is a real indicator of just how poor we are at #10 right now.

Guess was bound to happen after being blessed with the likes of Ella, Knox, Larkham, Cooper (lesser extent but can't deny the talent) heck even Flatley could do a job. We have no standout #10, which is probably for the first time I can remember

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Wallabies bring Bernard Foley I to the squad for South Afrcia tests is a real indicator of just how poor we are at #10 right now.

Guess was bound to happen after being blessed with the likes of Ella, Knox, Larkham, Cooper (lesser extent but can't deny the talent) heck even Flatley could do a job. We have no standout #10, which is probably for the first time I can remember
jfc...Bernard Foley

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member

Lolesio and the red headed 10 for the Waratahs are both good players. They just need to be backed.

ripper868

International Coach
No doubting they are good players, of course they are, you have to be to be at that level, but from what I've seen from Lolesio, he doesn't take control at Test level - decent at SR sure, but not (yet?) Test standard - agree that the answer doesn't lie in going back to our 32+ year olds who played a bit of 10 back in 2015. I mean, at the moment i'd not be against Hodge playing at 10 and just booting the ball to the corners for Markia to chase every lineout/scrum - he at least appeared to organise etc when Quade got injured, plus kicks his goals.

to be clear, not an endorsement of Hodge at 10 in any serious way, but just a reflection of the (apparent) dearth of 10 talent in Aus right now.