• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
This shows just how big Rugby has become globally:

Organizers of the Rugby World Cup, as well as the Global Sports Impact, state that the Rugby World Cup is the third largest sporting event in the world, behind only the FIFA World Cup and the Olympics.
I love RU (2nd favourite sport behind cricket) but I've always been dubious about that (World Athletics Champs, CWC - thanks to India, Euros, Formula 1, Golf/Tennis majors etc, age group Fifa tournaments etc.)

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's a shame because the Wallabies has an awesome legacy and certainly has the potential to get back to where they were. Hopefully the World Cup here in a few years will get kids interested in the gam.
I have massive doubts as AFL & NRL are cashed up and predatory

ashley bach

International Captain
It’s England & the All Blacks which are massive draws

Now do virtually any other country
Can't imagine there'll be a spare seat in the house for all 3 tests coming up against the Lions.
Even if there are no Lions fans (of course there will be heaps) a sellout seems assured.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Anyone here watched a game at Ellis Park? One of my sporting dreams to watch an All Blacks game there.

Flem274*

123/5
Lots of discussion here but one thing I've picked up on was Social's safety comment - not a factor at all, I'm willing to bet. I watch league, the blind eye to high tackles and especially whoever the HIA doctors are will see a lawsuit or ten against the NRL within 20 years.

Jaz Tevaga HIA a few weeks ago was particularly memorable. Bloke was swaying and looking sick but apparently passed his HIA. No he didn't, and this happens every week in the NRL.

The...inconsistency...of cards and dangerous contact in Union is becoming a meme (I've seen Joe Moody punch a guy in the face in a maul and get away with it but something like the Ta'avao accidental head clash was a red card and the Retallick a week later a yellow) but fair credit, the penalties are hopefully mitigating the dementia suffered by the likes of Hayman and the English prop for the current players. The NRL...is not....though uncontested scrums might be a small boon for League. Union props are literally killing themselves with their job.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lots of discussion here but one thing I've picked up on was Social's safety comment - not a factor at all, I'm willing to bet. I watch league, the blind eye to high tackles and especially whoever the HIA doctors are will see a lawsuit or ten against the NRL within 20 years.

Jaz Tevaga HIA a few weeks ago was particularly memorable. Bloke was swaying and looking sick but apparently passed his HIA. No he didn't, and this happens every week in the NRL.

The...inconsistency...of cards and dangerous contact in Union is becoming a meme (I've seen Joe Moody punch a guy in the face in a maul and get away with it but something like the Ta'avao accidental head clash was a red card and the Retallick a week later a yellow) but fair credit, the penalties are hopefully mitigating the dementia suffered by the likes of Hayman and the English prop for the current players. The NRL...is not....though uncontested scrums might be a small boon for League. Union props are literally killing themselves with their job.
Dude, I am a father & it’s real

There’s been serious spinal injuries in union and that freaks people out

You’re mistaking us for another country

Union is generally broadcast on a secondary channel with only selected games shown

Every single AFL & NRL game is broadcast live from U18s up

World of difference & good luck competing against that exposure

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty sure junior league participation numbers are plummeting. But they have so much money and so much exposure

Union is pretty ****ed in Australia honestly. Forget about competing with league or AFL right now. They'd well to regain union followers in the first place

Shady Slim

International Coach

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
i thought this too but apparently last year a big bounce https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2021/08/08/nswrl-celebrates-birthday-with-record-participation-growth/#:~:text=- Newcastle Junior Rugby League – 4339,participants from 9680 in 2019.

inroads in the womens market too which is the natural consequence of more exposure to the women's game, which i have to say australian sports have done a masterclass at of recent (but obviously still a long way to go)
Yeah I've seen them claiming this before but I think the devil is in the detail

A lot of those numbers are propped up by oztag rather than proper full on contact league

edit - I could be wrong, and i can't be bothered finding the source, but yeah I did read that league is covering up a drop in their numbers with oztag participants. Having said that, they still gain exposure and develop a following for the code from that

Last edited:

Shady Slim

International Coach
Yeah I've seen them claiming this before but I think the devil is in the detail

A lot of those numbers are propped up by oztag rather than proper full on contact league

edit - I could be wrong, and i can't be bothered finding the source, but yeah I did read that league is covering up a drop in their numbers with oztag participants. Having said that, they still gain exposure and develop a following for the code from that
yeah fair enough makes sense

i note also the growth was split 1.7% mens game and 20% womens game and one doubts if the women's game can keep growing at that rate (well, even if it does keep growing which it should with more exposure that's an enormous jump)

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
yeah fair enough makes sense

i note also the growth was split 1.7% mens game and 20% womens game and one doubts if the women's game can keep growing at that rate (well, even if it does keep growing which it should with more exposure that's an enormous jump)
I don't think it matters either way to be honest. It's culturally followed

It's a shame that union is such an inward run code. We can argue about what's better to watch and so forth but union is far far more fun to play

Shady Slim

International Coach

It's a shame that union is such an inward run code. We can argue about what's better to watch and so forth but union is far far more fun to play
i've only ever played league but watching union it looks horrid to play personally, but again can't say affirmatively given i've never played it

ashley bach

International Captain

i've only ever played league but watching union it looks horrid to play personally, but again can't say affirmatively given i've never played it
Having only played union, can't really comment which is more ''fun'' to play, needless to say union was very enjoyable for many years.
While I don't really like to make comparisons between the codes, because they're both great games, will go as far to say that unless
it's an important game such as test matches, world cup games or the latter stages of super rugby, league on the whole is a more enjoyable
game to watch from a casual view point.
This may partly be to the amount of action seen over 80 mins, the amount of time lost in union due to scrum resets etc, doesn't quite compare
to the free flowing non stop action in league.
The major concern with union currently is the amount of cards dished out these days, there seems to be a never ending amount.
This completely destroys the game in part, none more so than for the spectators involved.
Totally for reducing the injuries etc for the sport, but to what cost is the question. Have no idea how this problem can be solved.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty sensational win from the pumas on the weekend. Came back against a huge deficit

South American rugby really on the rise with Argentina, Uruguay & Chile all in the RWC