• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Feel like our ambitious attacking style didn’t really suit the situation, we’d have been better off just grinding the 14 men down. Great try just now though.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Feels a lot like our loss to the Leekists last year; took too much out of ourselves clawing back to parity after a desperate start and ran out of gas at the end.

Slade and Marchant in the centres isn't working and, for all their potential, Steward and Malins don't give us the cutting edge Watson and May did.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, super, super break from the wee Italian 15 to set up the winning score and wonderfully unselfish play to look for the support runner on his shoulder.

Fair play to them.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Amazing effort from Italy. That try! The fullback looked like Christian Cullen. Also well done to Josh Adams for passing on his motm award. Real shame that Italy share a World Cup pool with France and the ABs. It would be great for rugby in Italy if they could make the quarters like Japan did last time.

France look very very good and will be very hard to beat in the next RWC. Can they deal with the pressure?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
lower down Spain have qualified for the World Cup for the first time since 1999

their wikipedia article helpfully lists which unions they have borrowed players from
1647762327834.png

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I don't follow rugby but sort of know enough to realise that Italy don't win many matches in the Five Nations. The really astonishing thing here is that Jeff Stelling stopped Soccer Saturday to mention it - usually nothing interrupts the football on a Saturday afternoon. :offtopic:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I don't follow rugby but sort of know enough to realise that Italy don't win many matches in the Five Nations. The really astonishing thing here is that Jeff Stelling stopped Soccer Saturday to mention it - usually nothing interrupts the football on a Saturday afternoon. :offtopic:
'... don't win many ..' is overstating it. They're not quite as successful as that; I think they had lost 20+ on the trot. And for all I know, this may even be there first FN win outside of Italy.

weeman27bob

International Regular
'... don't win many ..' is overstating it. They're not quite as successful as that; I think they had lost 20+ on the trot. And for all I know, this may even be there first FN win outside of Italy.
They beat Scotland away in 2007 and 2015.

Howe_zat

Audio File
36 losses on the bounce from 2015 to yesterday. They actually haven't won a game at home since they beat Ireland in 2013.

1647777699804.png

Niall

International Coach
Their underage teams have had some nice results here and their, e.g the under 20's won in England this year so rugby has to give them time, obviously they won't ever win the six nations but hopefully they can be a little more competitive in the next decade or so.

Regarding the world cup which all sides have an eye on , Ireland were decent but beat nobody special and seem nailed on for their traditional quarter final mauling.

Jones is the tough call, if they are going to get rid its got to be ASAP.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
They beat Scotland away in 2007 and 2015.
That 2015 defeat was horrible, I was really excited about our chances that year because Toonie was working wonders with Glasgow at the time, who had the entire Scottish back line and I thought we'd be playing great rugby.

Brought back down to earth fairly quickly, fair to say I was a couple of years early with my excitement.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So it looks like Australia will host the ‘27 WC, the’29 Women’s WC plus a Lions tour in ‘25

This obviously represents a massive opportunity for a sport that is really struggling here but there’s huge problems to be resolved in the meantime

Free to air games are shown on a secondary digital channel while the rest are either streamed or not broadcast at all

Pretty hard to generate interest when very few people watch the game

Then there’s the rules and their interpretations

Australia is the only country in the world with 3 major physical contact football codes

League & Aussie Rules are really simple to understand while union is not & all it takes is for one pedantic referee to make the game unwatchable

Spark

Global Moderator
I've become much much more of an AFL watcher and fan than rugby union over the last five years or so but I would strongly disagree that its ruleset, as actually applied in real games, is easier to understand than Rugby's

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fortunately no one in Australia will know the 2027 Rugby WC is being held. Makes the embarrassing silver spoon closed shop that is the national team easy to ignore.