• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

Niall

International Coach
France rugby saying **** "corona protocols we got to eat some waffles" is magnificently French.

Mediocre jokes aside, the more comes out on how "seriously " they have taken protocols then their has to be serious punishment rather than a derisory fine.

Will be interesting if their is resignations over this, not ideal as they seemed to finally putting if together recently.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not a flawless performance from England by any stretch, but a great game.

When Dupont went over with 64 seconds on the clock one feared the worst, but we hung on in there and showed more discipline at the breakdown than has been the case so far this tournament.

Pack looked a tighter unit with Ewels next to Itoje too. Doesn't have the physical presence of Hill, but an infinitely better rugby player and athlete.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Whichever way this ends up going in the last 10 minutes, it's been a heck of a comeback by the Chiefs.

EDIT: And they're in again! They've won the second half 28-3!

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Played the Micks. Destroyed us up front.

First time we've lost to all the other home nations since 1976, apparently. Sigh.

weeman27bob

International Regular
Played the Micks. Destroyed us up front.

First time we've lost to all the other home nations since 1976, apparently. Sigh.
In some ways it felt much less frustrating than the Scotland/Wales games. It wasn't a game that felt like luck wasn't on our side, Ireland were just the better team and after they took a lead we just couldn't get ourselves back in it. Would have been worse if there was more at stake.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
What's your take on why we're not very good this year?
I think it's a combination of key players out of form (Farrell has looked a pale shadow of himself, both the Vunipolas have been short of a gallop and Daly still looks a quality centre masquerading as a full back), some poor selections (I've bagged Jonny Hill in this thread before, but he's really not test quality) and the lack of a plan B when teams resist our initial onslaught.

Covid obviously hasn't helped either as it's limited the options to those selected at the start of the tournament, but that's a problem all the nations have faced too.

weeman27bob

International Regular
I think it's a combination of key players out of form (Farrell has looked a pale shadow of himself, both the Vunipolas have been short of a gallop and Daly still looks a quality centre masquerading as a full back), some poor selections (I've bagged Jonny Hill in this thread before, but he's really not test quality) and the lack of a plan B when teams resist our initial onslaught.

Covid obviously hasn't helped either as it's limited the options to those selected at the start of the tournament, but that's a problem all the nations have faced too.
I thought Daly had his best game for a while today - but agree that he's been not as good as he has been otherwise.

Penalty count definitely hasn't helped us in the tournament as a whole.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
i guess France will absolutely smash Wales now that there's nothing at stake?
That's the hope, anyway.

Welsh have looked cod ordinary pretty much throughout and they're somehow one win from a Slam.

Suspect they've used up their supply of jam for several seasons though. Played significant parts of both the Scottish and Irish games against 14 men and got two extremely debatable calls in their favour for tries against us.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
it would be extremely France to win this 65-10 and somehow fail to score four tries against Scotland to seal it
Actually, looking at the table, a 65-10 win for Les Bleus would mean any kind of win versus the Sweaties would be enough for them to pip the Leekists to it.

Assuming at least 20 of the 65 points come from tries.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Suspect they've used up their supply of jam for several seasons though.
Turns out I was wrong. Don't think Josh Adams grounded the ball for the third Welsh try but, as the on field call was "try" the TMO neglected to overrule.

That said the French have been poor. The odd moment of magic, but they've played like the directionless France of popular cliche.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Wow. Some finish.

Willemse gets himself red carded for an obvious (and nasty looking) eye gouge on Wyn Jones, but it somehow galvanises France and the last dozen minutes was all blue.

Faletau and Lian Williams are both sinbinned for persistent infringements and Wyn Jones himself can consider himself lucky not to have joined them, and tries from Ollivon and, two minutes into overtime, Dulin edge the home side there by 32-30.

Best game of the tournament by the proverbial country mile.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
What a last 5 minutes, although why France didn't stick the ball out I don't know.

How do you win at Twickenham and in Paris and not win the title FFS?

That Wales game is just more frustrating now.