Cricket Player Manager
Page 254 of 262 FirstFirst ... 154204244252253254255256 ... LastLast
Results 3,796 to 3,810 of 3927
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Official Rugby Thread

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Yes you are alone in saying that NZ had no right to draw that game.

12-12 was an accurate reflection of the game despite the possession favouring Aussie by 70 to 30%.

NZ really should have had a try but Aaron Smith butchered it.

We also played well beneath our normal standards - largely because Australia rattled us and got in our heads.
    Last edited by Hurricane; 19-08-2014 at 07:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Suspected Kaino had been playing with an injury. Didn't look himself despite the customary big defense.
    Hurricane likes this.

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Well the NRC kicked off last night with Brisbane City defeating Sydney Stars 45-20 in a 6 tries to 4 encounter played under modified rules - the biggest being a change in scoring system:
    Try - 5 points
    Conversion - 3 points
    Drop/Pen Goals - 2 points

Conversions proved to be crucial - Sydney led 20-16 at half time (4 tries to 2) but missing all conversions cost them. Samu Kerevi was the standout of the match, injuring his two opposite centers with damaging runs and breaking the line with ease, he debuted for the reds late in the season and looks a frightening prospect. All in all, the match was running rugby from the first to last in conditions not made for it, it was raining cats and dogs at one point. If this is what the NRC is going to dish up, I say give me more!
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

In other news, All blacks to win by 60. certainly aren't weakened by Messam coming in, Crotty can expect plenty of attention at 12 though.

Quote Originally Posted by ripper868 View Post
    certainly aren't weakened by Messam coming in.
    Nah, we're weakened significantly.

Kaino is (normally) in a completely different class to Messam. Playing on an injury last week slowed him down a bit but there's basically no comparison between the two. That's why the selectors only needed to watch a handful of Super Rugby games after he came back from Japan to chuck him in as first choice straight away.

The man pretty much won us the world cup singlehandedly.

messam is very very good though
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Dean Jones was my favourite player.

Quote Originally Posted by dermo View Post
    messam is very very good though
    he's good in loose attack/counter-attack type games that generally happen against Aussie teams where his sevens skills really come to the fore, but he can be pretty invisible against SA/Argentina style forward packs.

He's not particularly good at creating go forward ball out of nothing. He needs broken play to thrive.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Realise I'm very late to this, and hindsight's a great thing, but what were the thoughts on Beale at 10 last week? I was surprised they didn't go with Foley (not that I profess to be an expert).

Have to say, despite the conditions last week I really enjoyed the game. Hard and uncompromising. But I fear what will happen this evening.

Harking back a few weeks, the Super 15 final was one of the best games of football across any code I've seen in ages. Crusaders were magnificent given they lost Carter so early.

One thing I've noticed about rugby which I really enjoy. The ref might give a dodgy/ contentious decision, but it isnt dwelt on for ages with endless replays during the game. They get on with it. Contrast with league which is ****ting me no end atm with the agonizing over every 50:50 call.
    Last edited by Burgey; 22-08-2014 at 03:27 PM.
    Hurricane and ripper868 like this.

i've said this to a few people this week but it was the sort of game where if you didnt/did think beale was the man to play 10 then that game wasnt going to change your mind, deserves another shot in dry conditions at the very least
    Hurricane likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Not much to say about the game. NZ were determined to make amends for last week. Australia took a bad yellow card and got hammered with the man advantage. After that we had too big a lead and could afford to play expressively which led to more points.

My massive heart is breaking. If anyone needs me I'll be in the corner crying.

completely outclassed by a far superior team, white and beale will cop a lot of **** for that because they're easy targets but the entire team was comprehensively out played, particularly in the forwards

I don't know if our players are that much better. I just think we had the better game plan on the night.

Also I am convinced that we must train for 15 vs 14 situations because we are close to unstoppable with the man advantage while Australia has had a couple of cracks at us now with a man in hand over the past two weeks and has not made us pay.

I don't know how to weigh in on Beale as I will need to watch the game again. I barely remember him doing anything right or wrong, my mind is just full of AB highlight reels.
    If you forced me into a corner and poked me with sharp sticks until I said something then I would say that I thought he went better than last week but that Australia always seemed to be on the back foot or going backwards and some of that needs to come back to your 1st 5s ability to move the team around the field. Still I just don't remember him touching the ball much. I don't think we let him play well.

How about Barrett shutting down Folau on the break away - never thought I would see that.

He is the 2nd best front rower in the world behind Bismark. He would be easily in the world XV and he doesn't get any press in any of the media (that I have access to)
    Alex Corbisiero says "hi".

Wouldn't have too many Poms in a World XV (Lawes and Launchbury would be in the shake up, but that's probably about it), but our big, American-born, Italian-surnamed loosehead would be in there.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

How about Barrett shutting down Folau on the break away - never thought I would see that.
    remember this from last year?

He's ridiculously fast. Supremely talented player but still just behind Cruden.

Thread Information