Page 240 of 262 FirstFirst ... 140190230238239240241242250 ... LastLast
Results 3,586 to 3,600 of 3923
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Official Rugby Thread

hurricane, in your opinion will sonny bill walk straight back into the all blacks?
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Dean Jones was my favourite player.

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Well its Nonu vs SBW - 6 months ago they would have taken SBW due to Nonu's off field antics. The decision is some time away so I don't know what will happen to Nonu's form.

Tough call to make. If I were making the decision I would stick with Nonu - however for SBW to be coming back it will be based on some assurances that he will be a starter so who knows what promises have been made. What do you think will happen?
    Last edited by Hurricane; 30-04-2014 at 01:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

agree its a very tough call, though i feel perhaps if the blues have another average season that may impact on nonu's chances. I'm not so sure there would be assurances made to SBW with regards to a starting spot, as an outsider looking in that doesn't seem and all blacks kind of thing to do. It will be an interesting battle no doubt but if i had to tip who will be starting come the all blacks first game of the world cup i'd say SBW.

do you have an opinion on this Malakai Fekitoa? I haven't seen much of him all year but his try against the sharks was outstanding. Is he the bolter for a centre spot?

Don't watch highlanders games as a rule but maybe I should - his video looks good.

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Fekitoa will probaly find himself in the centres for an end of season tour or 'friendly' tests against an inbound northern opponent. I'd expect certainly a bench spot for him. AB centres will be Conrad at 13 and SBW or Nonu at 12. Could Fekitoa take a wing spot? Possibly but there are these guys called Savea, Jane, and Ben Smith and no doubt others.

Pat McCabe is a great servant of Aus rugby and one of the bravest/toughest rugby players I've ever seen. While he would happily run into a brick wall of razor blades and salt, I dont think he offers enough to be considered our best 12. Australia's potency lies in our outside backs and having a second player who can be a playmaker or running option (read Toomua) is the perfect partner for Quade. It also gives Genia (or whoever the 9 is) a second option to pass to. And with two playmakers you can attack both sides of the field effectively from centre field set pieces (provided we can win the scrum in the first place)
    Hurricane likes this.
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

International Debutant
    Yep, fair points.

chiefs vs blues game will be a closely fought affair. As will the force cheetahs game.

Genia has refound his mojo in that last game and is clearing the base of the ruck far faster. I don't care that they lost on the weekend as they were never going to win that game. He is back. Interestingly McCabe looked very good in his outing for the Brumbies yet even they won't give him a starting jersey.

AAC showed in his match that he has gone up a level in this year's comp.

Australia are somewhat spoiled for options and will need to have a shrewd selection policy.
    Last edited by Hurricane; 04-05-2014 at 02:41 AM.

have to say hurricane i thought savea's defence was god awful, his effort in the carraro try was disgraceful

also michael hooper surely isnt far from being the best 7 in world rugby

Quote Originally Posted by dermo View Post
    have to say hurricane i thought savea's defence was god awful, his effort in the carraro try was disgraceful
    Wasn't a flash effort.

Quote Originally Posted by dermo View Post
    also michael hooper surely isnt far from being the best 7 in world rugby
    He's in the top 3 with Pocock and Ritchie but given Ritchie just came back and Pocock is out then if you added the word "atm" to your sentence then it would be hard to debate the point with you.

Aussie have always had good 7s btw for as long as I can remember. Have trouble with some of the other positions like a good 8 man.
    Last edited by Hurricane; 04-05-2014 at 02:54 AM.

It's a problem you'll find at every level of australian rugby, to many forwards want to be ball runners and not enough who want to be hard men around the rucks. If we had more players who put more value on smashing someone around a ruck than trying to run over the top of them, we'd be better off for it. There's an argument its got something to do with rugby league having such a big following

is it also possible that the bigger units - guys 6 foot 2, 6 foot 3 and weighing 110 kgs with excellent mobility get snapped up by the other codes as well? I would see little demand for a Michael Hooper or George Smith in league.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    is it also possible that the bigger units - guys 6 foot 2, 6 foot 3 and weighing 110 kgs with excellent mobility get snapped up by the other codes as well? I would see little demand for a Michael Hooper or George Smith in league.
    not really tbh, although many would like to argue there is a constant turf war going on between union and league for juniors, i would argue that the majority only play one code and they have decided upon the code they would like to play long before they reach 6 foot 2 and 110kgs.

Fantastic effort by the Sharks.

Higginbotham went down in my estimation tonight. it was just one play, but it was on out wide and he had a dig at the line instead like a typical forward and the movement eventually came to a halt. yes he is big, yes he is strong, yes he knows the rules and doesn't infringe too much, yes he plays the game with aggression, no he doesn't have good game awareness. Would not have him in my australian team now. Still his team won the game so good on him.

The rebels are mercurial. Impossible to predict which team will show up each week. They are not well coached in the backs - but their forwards seem effective and don't yield much ground. That is how they are competitive.

one things for sure, luke jones is the best second rower in australia right now

Thread Information