• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

open365

International Vice-Captain
BoyBrumby said:
Just home from Leicester v Bath.

Now I don't wanna sound like a sore loser (I don't even support Leicester, actually), but something is seriously wrong with the laws as they currently stand where they effectively reward a team for foul play.

About five minutes to go & Leicester, trailing by 3 points, have a scrum about 10 metres from the Bath line. Bath deliberately collapse the scrum under pressure & David Flatman is correctly sin-binned. With a 7-man scrum to face Leicester set the scrum again from their penalty. Leicester shove Bath back towards their line & Taufa’ao Filise blatantly uses his hand in the scrum incurring another yellow card.

This leaves Bath with only 2 front rowers on the pitch & the ref with no option but to call uncontested scrums. At a stoke Leicester are gelded of their main attacking option.

This cannot be right. The ref could've given a penalty try to Leicester, but to me it didn't quite warrant it. Instead, through utterly cynical foul play, he has no other option but to reward the defending team with uncontested scrums. I can see that when a team is unable to field 3 front-rowers thru injury that uncontested scrums are fair (no-one wants to see a serious injury), but when it's due to foul-play surely the offending team should have to forfeit?
I heard Corry say 'Youe pulling me leg right?' when the ref said it was uncontested scrums(via ref link)

Still, it was an amazing occasion, those flags made the atmosphere unbeleivable for a rugby match, i'm going to get that panoramic photo when it comes out.

At the end i just couldn't beleive we lost, it wasn't meant to be like that, with the home support, and having 2 players in the bin, it should have been comfortable. I guess it was just once to many times to ask Leicester to pull a match from the fire...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
open365 said:
I heard Corry say 'Youe pulling me leg right?' when the ref said it was uncontested scrums(via ref link)

Still, it was an amazing occasion, those flags made the atmosphere unbeleivable for a rugby match, i'm going to get that panoramic photo when it comes out.

At the end i just couldn't beleive we lost, it wasn't meant to be like that, with the home support, and having 2 players in the bin, it should have been comfortable. I guess it was just once to many times to ask Leicester to pull a match from the fire...
It was a great occasion. It's the first time I'd been to the Walkers & I was impressed. Nice, clean modern stadium with a great view of the pitch from all around, yet still compact enough to retain an atmosphere.

Some of Leicester's decision making at the end was awful tho, I think both Goode & Corry spurned big overlaps trying to burrow their way to the line. With the 2 extra men The Tigers really should've used them.

Where were you? I was in the East Stand right up near the rafters, about 8 seats to the right of the telly cameras.

open365

International Vice-Captain
BoyBrumby said:
It was a great occasion. It's the first time I'd been to the Walkers & I was impressed. Nice, clean modern stadium with a great view of the pitch from all around, yet still compact enough to retain an atmosphere.

Some of Leicester's decision making at the end was awful tho, I think both Goode & Corry spurned big overlaps trying to burrow their way to the line. With the 2 extra men The Tigers really should've used them.

Where were you? I was in the East Stand right up near the rafters, about 8 seats to the right of the telly cameras.
Yeh, i'll have to look at the game again on DVD but my dad was really ****ed of when Goode went for the line. Tigers have been playing like this for too much of the season, it was only a matter of time before it caught up with us somewhere.

I'm not sure which stand i was in, i was opposite the changing rooms and adjacent to the dead ball line in the half where tigers warmed up, if that makes any sense, i came in through turnstyle 29 and i was quite close to the pitch.

I went there last year to see the Toulose game, it's a pitty Leicester aren't moving there any more IMO, i'm confident we could get at least 20,000 in every game.

On another note, i've never ever ever seen tigers win away from Welford road, and i've watched them away about 10 times. So i'm becoming a big jnyx.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
open365 said:
On another note, i've never ever ever seen tigers win away from Welford road, and i've watched them away about 10 times. So i'm becoming a big jnyx.
Heh. Sounds like me. Wigan Athletic didn't win in any of the first 7 games I watched them. The next season they won Division 2 (as it was). Now they're in the premiership.

Moral of the story: I'm not a jinx any more but you are! Ha! :p

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Voltman said:
It works out as something ridiculous like $150,000 a game.

Unless you meant me, Blaze... :(
Never had you down as a flouncer, Volts. Feeling a bit unloved?

Come on everyone, group hug. No cupping.... ;)

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Well, Tana's gone to France and I said he wouldn't. I feel caught between sticking to a bet and robbing you lot of my unique brand of humour...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Olly Barkley arrested

If we ran a poll on which international Rugy player was least likely to be arrested for alleged involvement in an incident that lead to someone ending up in hospital with a busted jaw I'd say Olly Barkley would be somewhere near the top, but lo & behold, from the Beeb:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/5240604.stm

Needed CS gas to detain him too! I've clearly underestimated the boy. :D

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Is it my (rather drunk) imagination or is there a game on Sky between Valke (?) and Sharks played on sand?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
If we ran a poll on which international Rugy player was least likely to be arrested for alleged involvement in an incident that lead to someone ending up in hospital with a busted jaw I'd say Olly Barkley would be somewhere near the top
That's if anyone remembered who he was?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
I'm pretty confident Anna will... :p
I'm no expert, but he's not exactly a household name or even an England regular, is he?

Anyway, I hear Farrell's actually going to play a game at the weekend. Interesting. My money's on him breaking down in his first scrum.
Nice to know he's not put Union clubs off signing our players, though. The quality of the players they're targeting is a bit shoddy, though. Walker to Bath, Myler to Northampton and Karl Pryce to Gloucester? Do they deliberately scout for the worst players, Brumby?

And when are international games back?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
steds said:
I'm no expert, but he's not exactly a household name or even an England regular, is he?

Anyway, I hear Farrell's actually going to play a game at the weekend. Interesting. My money's on him breaking down in his first scrum.
Nice to know he's not put Union clubs off signing our players, though. The quality of the players they're targeting is a bit shoddy, though. Walker to Bath, Myler to Northampton and Karl Pryce to Gloucester? Do they deliberately scout for the worst players, Brumby?

And when are international games back?
He's a regular England squad member, but no not a regular starter; he's our 3rd or 4th choice stand-off but can play inside centre too.

Dunno about the worst players, but the RFL do seem to be going for a quick fix 'cos we're looking to be squarely banged up the pooper when it comes to defending Bill next year. League the easiest resource for England-qualified players.

WRT Farrell, he's not a flanker for mine. He should be looked at at inside-centre where he can dictate play more, which is the big fella's strength. His kicking game will be more or less wasted at 6. Actually Nigel Melville mentioned him as a potential England captain in tThe Guardian yesterday, which seems a bit previous given he's only actually played 60 mins of a reserve game in Union!

I think the autumn internationals start late Oct. I do know we're playing yer Argies on Nov 12th 'cos I have tickets to go! :happy:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Dunno about the worst players, but the RFL do seem to be going for a quick fix 'cos we're looking to be squarely banged up the pooper when it comes to defending Bill next year. League the easiest resource for England-qualified players.
Can't see any of them being any sort of fix. You're a Northampton fan aren't you? Bet you jumped for joy when you heard you signed a player who struggles to get a game for Salford?

WRT Farrell, he's not a flanker for mine. He should be looked at at inside-centre where he can dictate play more, which is the big fella's strength. His kicking game will be more or less wasted at 6.
Dictating play was never really Farrell's game, imo. Infact, he played his best rugby for Wigan when they had all the injures in 04 and he was forced to move to prop. They will be wasting his kicking, though.

think the autumn internationals start late Oct. I do know we're playing yer Argies on Nov 12th 'cos I have tickets to go! :happy: