Page 235 of 254 FirstFirst ... 135185225233234235236237245 ... LastLast
Results 3,511 to 3,525 of 3805
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Official Rugby Thread

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Don't think that decided the match though, even the Springbox coach and captain admitted they were below par last night.

All Blacks proved they can't be beaten by trying to go over the top of them.

The All Blacks are still easily a step above them, and years ahead of Australia who seem to have gone massively backwards since McKenzie took over. They deserved to lose last night.

The home nations will be licking their lips against playing Australia on the end of year tour. I can't see them beating any of England, Ireland, Wales.
    Australia are bad but we aren't that bad - home nations side really are ****

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Australia are bad but we aren't that bad - home nations side really are ****
    Well, I wouldn't be that blunt - but the Loins hardly found the Wobblies to be a walk in the park.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

We did when we actually played rugby instead of whatever the **** we were doing in the 2nd Test.

International Debutant
    Well 1st 2 games really as the Lions just skinnied the 1st test. See O'Connor got in trouble again. Just piss him off. Most over rated player atm. In fact he has always been over rated.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    I think his defensive awareness is attrocious. But his offensive skills is superb. He needs to find a position in the backline and stick to it and master it. I wish he was a number 12.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

International Debutant
    I just can't see anything in him. He's not especially fast to compensate for a lack of power. He can't ghost like Larkham or possess killer acceleration. Not evasive either. He can kick but he's not a 1st choice goal kicker. Neither is he a punisher in defence. I think he's a bit of a myth and has an attitude. Time for a long spell to sort out his "issues".

I don't think he can run around 3 guys like Beale can. Or just burn them off with gas. But if you don't want him we will take him and turn him into a star. At his first training one of our goons will pop him in the nose and the coach will tell him he will get more of that unless he starts playing with determination. We will make him grow up.

His strength is his ability on offense to make a line break or to put someone else into a line break through a slick pass. I think he shows well at super level but with tighter defence at test level does not shine as much.

His defensive positioning against the all blacks was some of the worst play from a wing I have ever seen and if you told me he had been paid off to play like that I would believe you.

I think he reads his own press and needs a solid coach to sort him out.

I agree that he has underachieved - but I think he can be a star if he gets guidance.

That is my opinion. Also he has been loyal to Aussie rugby by not going overseas and needs to be repaid for that act of faith.

International Debutant
    Well I agree with pop him in the nose bit.

Great second half performance, should have wrapped up the Rugby Championship with that.

Australia will be really up against it next weekend against Argentina. Will be interested to see the odds for the match.

Indeed the abs back line was the difference.

Can't believe non of you ****s have mentioned the South Africa v All Blacks game at Ellis park a week or so ago, holy **** that was amazing easily the highest quality game of union i've ever seen or league for that matter

was pretty pleased with the wallabies efforts on saturday though, gave it a good go and there was definitely plenty of positives particularly in the backline

Quade Cooper played his best game for the wallabies imo, some of the balls he was giving at set piece we're beautiful, he's always had that ability and imo the hard running of guys like Kuridrani really helped him. Probably the best part of his game was his composure in other areas, he's always been capable of the magic ball but he made all the right decisions, and executed them. There's this consensus that when Genia plays well the Wallabies play well, but really Quade playing well is far more important, he's the one creating opportunities for his outside men and when he does it takes the pressure off Genia to be the focal point in attack and is so much harder to defend

Despite this there's still a massive difference between us and the All Blacks, especially in the forwards. Read and Messam i just can't talk up enough, they epitomise NZ rugby. They've got the defence and hard ball running of a top line forward, and the skills of any back. IMO the entire NZ pack just works harder than the AUS pack and that was the difference on saturday, the amount of times they score tries with massive overlaps is astonishing and its the work rate of the forwards that allows this. They can commit less forwards to the rucks and still retain the ball easily because rarely does one of their forwards get dominated in a tackle contest, theres a huge gap between the NZ and our forwards in this area, tbh i don't rate Horwill or Mowen at all. Good leaders and good line out jumpers but thats about all imo. Neither are damaging ball runners and neither are punishing defenders, Hooper is twice as good a ball runner as both of them and hes half the size. We really missed Higginbotham this season imo.

and I also reckon Folou's future lies at 13, especially when Beale returns. He's the best ball runner in Aus and arguably the world but watch NZ's first try from the weekend and you can see why Dagg is still the best 15 in the world, Folou needs to improve his ball playing skills a great deal if he wants to take his game to the next level. I will say however his aerial skills are freakish and seeing as every other outside back in Aus seems inept under the high ball, its a real reason to keep him at 15. A fully fit Beale at 15 and Folou at 13 could be the way forward imo.

Maybe Beale comes in at 12? Really every other position in the backline is spoken for after last night and Tomua didn't look shabby either and he is a waste on the wing.

Your analysis is a good one except a bit unfair on Mowen I thought he was stronger than Messam if we forget about the try that Messam set up. Your number 8 was quite pathetic and didn't seem to understand what a number 8 is supposed to do and that is muscle it up and create fear in the opposition.

your replacement front row was a marked step down from your starters and horwill made his only contribution of the night by leaving the field as they played better without him.

All this said there was a home town call that disadvantaged Australia when they poured 10 guys into a rolling maul 5n metres out and the ref awarded a penalty against them for some strange reason. They score on that play and the game could have been a cliff hanger.

In general Australia produce good line out jumpers and good 7s. And they have always produced good 7s. Going all the way back to poidevin. They struggle for rugged rough as guts people to play in the 6 and 8 jersey.

As far as putting Folau in the 13 jersey, why would you want to displace Kiridrani - he was an absolute revelation at 13 and completely outplayed his opposite number.

i probably am being harsh on Mowen bracketing him with Horwill, as a 6 he is a serviceable option. but Fardy definitely superior than him in most facets of the game bar the line out, real shame he didn't play on the weekend because he's been really good the last few games. Fardy 6, Higginbotham 8 and I spose Pocock 7 is the ideal starting back row for the wallabies, although I wouldn't really have a problem with them picking Hooper over Pocock.

don't think you can play Beale at 12 and I'm much more a fan of having your fullback as a 2nd ball player as opposed to playing two 10's at 10 and 12, IMO a good 10 negates the need for a ball player at 12 and I'm more a fan of a hard running 12, i.e Nonu or de Villiers. With all the off field issues he's had this season I think a lot of people have forgotten just how good he is, I think at his best Beale is a better all round fullback than Folou, who still doesn't have the vision, ball playing ability or kicking game that a really good 15 should have. Folou's best asset is his ability to beat defenders 1 v 1 and his ability to get over the advantage line, both essential to a good 13. Don't forget when he left league he was playing centre and that looked to be where his future lay.

Kuridrani has been very good the last few games and especially on saturday he was phenomenal, imo he could play 12 quite easily.

I don't know if I have a definite rule that a 12 has to be a hard runner like Nonu. I think upon reflection you do have a point in that Cooper, Beale, and Kuridrani (thanks for the spelling) may be too much attacking flair right next to each other.

Thread Information