• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ha, the man's a legend. Has looked like his in his 50s since his early 20s.

Weirdly though fly half is one of the areas I'm most confident in picking for the Lions, if it's not ***ton, Ford and Farrell Gatland should be made to swallow hemlock.

Scrum half a tighter call. Murray is nailed on, but I think you can then perm any two from Youngs, Webb, Laidlaw, Care or Marmion.

ripper868

International Coach
Loved the matches in Gloucester during RWC, great knowledgeable crowd who added to the atmosphere (tbf, it was the Argies who brought the best fans of the tournament) Also went to 2 of their home games leading up to RWC, one eyed and loud, yet still respect the boundaries between supporting and outright abuse. Plenty of away fans in the shed enjoying themselves as well.

We stayed in Cheltenham through ftr - Gloucester ain't much of a town on it's own!

Howe_zat

Audio File
In a not wholly unprecedented feat of Japanese success over South Africans, Sunwolves just beat the Bulls in Tokyo. What times we live in.

People moan at there being minnows in super rugby now but its certainly the first point of interest I've had in it.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
In a not wholly unprecedented feat of Japanese success over South Africans, Sunwolves just beat the Bulls in Tokyo. What times we live in.

People moan at there being minnows in super rugby now but its certainly the first point of interest I've had in it.
Bulls are minnows at the moment... (So are most of the rest of the SA teams...)

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
3 out of 6 South African teams are actually decent sides (Stormers, Cats, Sharks). All 5 Australian teams are minnows at the moment
Lions.. or else you going to get yourself strung up in Johannesburg! :) Though next year it will probably be Cats again! Brumbies and Waratahs aren`t to bad, you can see though that Aus is really stretched in their teams player wise; and that Rugby Union is not a primary sport in Aus. (Behind Cricket, Rugby league, Aus rules etc etc...)

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
The thing that seems to characterise Super Rugby more than anything else is that if it's a NZ team against someone who isn't you already know who's going to win.

Main point of interest for me is the Jags. If they can shake things up that'd be a story.

Anyway part 2 of m rugbypass thing is up https://news.rugbypass.com/view/lions-2013-hookers-now
Jags improving steadily which is good... Not totally true on the NZ versus anybody else; Lions performed well last year, getting to final and performing again this year; and also this year the Stormers and maybe Sharks doing well.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
And am really looking forward to Lions tour of NZ... it is always nice when the Lions end up playing the best team in the world when they tour SH.

Spark

Global Moderator
Late on this, but it was so ****ing stupid that anyone was talking about the Brumbies as the side that might be axed from Super Rugby next year.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Late on this, but it was so ****ing stupid that anyone was talking about the Brumbies as the side that might be axed from Super Rugby next year.
Wasn't even aware it was being considered; most successful Australian franchise by far and have the coolest name by light years.

More seriously though it kinda falls back on the old heartland v expansion argument that plagues the non-roundball codes in Europe and Australasia. In theory there are untapped markets, but in practice it's a lot easier putting bums on seats in areas with a natural affinity for the sport.

In league up here the London Broncos and Celtic Crusaders are both absent from the Super League despite potentially massive catchment areas, but the more parochial charms of Widnes and Leigh actually get punters in because they're based in league towns.

Canberra is small compared to Perth and Melbourne, but it is a rugby town.

Will it be the Rebels or the Force for the arse? WA seems (from the outside) to have slightly more feel for union, but I suspect Melbourne ' s potential market will save the Rebels, wrong-headed as that probably is.