• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
The South African media have blown this right out of proportion. Particularly that nasty, lying little oxygen thief also known as Mark Keohane.

It fails to mention that Sailor picked the guy up, they shook hands, and there was nothing more to it. That's not just the story provided by Sailor, but the story provided by an independent witness.

What makes Keo's story even more laughable is that he refers to Sailor being out with Brumbies players. Ummmm, hello, Keo? Sailor plays for the Waratahs.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Voltman said:
The South African media have blown this right out of proportion. Particularly that nasty, lying little oxygen thief also known as Mark Keohane.

It fails to mention that Sailor picked the guy up, they shook hands, and there was nothing more to it. That's not just the story provided by Sailor, but the story provided by an independent witness.

What makes Keo's story even more laughable is that he refers to Sailor being out with Brumbies players. Ummmm, hello, Keo? Sailor plays for the Waratahs.
I think it's more the fact a professional sportsman was out drinking enough to have a chunder (by his own admission) that's going to be seized on. I'm not sure of the time scale either, but was the incident after Sailor failed the fitness test or was the "fitness test" a convenient smokescreen?

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
I love Lloyd.

Anyone here playing Rugby this season? Im playing Colts for University of Queensland.

KennyD

This is one for Volty.

At UQ, we have had a player turn up by the name of Michael Hobbs, old Jock Hobbs son. He was fly half for NZ schools in 05 and is in the U19 WC squad. You know much about him?

Blaze

Banned
KennyD said:
This is one for Volty.

At UQ, we have had a player turn up by the name of Michael Hobbs, old Jock Hobbs son. He was fly half for NZ schools in 05 and is in the U19 WC squad. You know much about him?

Well I am not Voltman but I know a little bit about him. He is from Wellington and got rugby player of the year at Wellington's College Sport awards last year.

Some say he didn't deserve it though and he has only got as far as he has because of his name...

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
KennyD said:
This is one for Volty.

I know nothing - Blaze does.

That is all. :D

Anna

Does anyone know much about Shaun Berne? He's returning to Bath next season I do believe.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Anna said:
Does anyone know much about Shaun Berne? He's returning to Bath next season I do believe.
He's average - very very average. McKenzie keeps giving him a start for the Tahs, but he's got absolutely no creativity whatsoever.

In which case, he'll fit into the English club scene quite well... :D

Anna

Oooh, Elton Flatley's retired......ah, tis cos of his blurred vision. Shame, that; he was a good player.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Anna said:
Oooh, Elton Flatley's retired......ah, tis cos of his blurred vision. Shame, that; he was a good player.
Wow, poor guy. I don't think he's even 30 yet. I actually have him in one of my Super 14 dream teams currently.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
28 in fact. He's been around for years - since the first year of Super 12 in fact. Rather sad, but at the same time, he's barely been warranting his spot in the Reds starting lineup this year.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just home from Leicester v Bath.

Now I don't wanna sound like a sore loser (I don't even support Leicester, actually), but something is seriously wrong with the laws as they currently stand where they effectively reward a team for foul play.

About five minutes to go & Leicester, trailing by 3 points, have a scrum about 10 metres from the Bath line. Bath deliberately collapse the scrum under pressure & David Flatman is correctly sin-binned. With a 7-man scrum to face Leicester set the scrum again from their penalty. Leicester shove Bath back towards their line & Taufa’ao Filise blatantly uses his hand in the scrum incurring another yellow card.

This leaves Bath with only 2 front rowers on the pitch & the ref with no option but to call uncontested scrums. At a stoke Leicester are gelded of their main attacking option.

This cannot be right. The ref could've given a penalty try to Leicester, but to me it didn't quite warrant it. Instead, through utterly cynical foul play, he has no other option but to reward the defending team with uncontested scrums. I can see that when a team is unable to field 3 front-rowers thru injury that uncontested scrums are fair (no-one wants to see a serious injury), but when it's due to foul-play surely the offending team should have to forfeit?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Blaze said:
I see Christian Cullen returned for Munster this weekend. Did he get on the field?
Didn't see the game, but fair play to Munster (& especially Leinster) for making the semis.

KennyD

BoyBrumby said:
This cannot be right. The ref could've given a penalty try to Leicester, but to me it didn't quite warrant it. Instead, through utterly cynical foul play, he has no other option but to reward the defending team with uncontested scrums. I can see that when a team is unable to field 3 front-rowers thru injury that uncontested scrums are fair (no-one wants to see a serious injury), but when it's due to foul-play surely the offending team should have to forfeit?
Yeah that's poor, very poor.

Maybe a system can be devised where the offending team must provide a full 8 man scrum to pack down for the uncontested scrum, leaving 7 backs on 5.

I dunno.