• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
That was more like the England of the last year. Kind of feels like we're peaking too soon with the World Cup over two years away but that's a silly, irrational thought.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
That was more like the England of the last year. Kind of feels like we're peaking too soon with the World Cup over two years away but that's a silly, irrational thought.
Well done England. That looks to be an excellent side. I think the Lions have got a genuine chance of winning a test in NZ, and England will be genuine contenders at the WC in Japan.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Genuinely top performance from England. Seeing us play like that puts the previous Six Nations games into sharper focus.

It's the sign of a good side to win whilst underperforming, but equally it's a little frustrating we hadn't played like that until now.

Without wishing to be patronising, credit to yer Sweaties too; they at least turned up to play rugby rather than stop the oppo playing.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Unbelievable! 18 wins in a row!

I'm calling it, the Eddie Jones' England side has been better than the Hansen *** ******* side that also won 18 in a row. England will win the Grand Slam and eclipse them. This sets us in good stead for a cracking Lions series, and I am predicting that the Lions will become the second Lions side to defeat *** ******* on *** ******* soil, joining the 1971 Lions.

Bravo England! With excellence they appeared like the smile of an emanating cat at the most unlikely of places, some gust of the wind and they created it!

This is better than the Fred Allen *** ******* side of the 1960s.
This is better than Grizz Wylie's *** ******* side of 1987-89.
This is better than John Hart's *** ******* side of 1996-97.
This is better than Graham Henry's *** ******* of 2005-07.
This is better than Graham Henry's *** ******* side of 2010.
This is better than Steve Hansen's *** ******* side of 2016-17.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
I don't mean to get ahead of this weekend. This weekend is very important. But I thought I should share this YouTube channel with you - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Pw6iUW8Dgmb_JSEqzXH3w/videos

I'm so freaking excited for this Lions tour! This is the most excited I've been since since the 2005 Ashes.

Here's an amazing try by Andy Irvine (one of my all-time favorites!). He was such an awesome support player in counter-attack, and guys like Smudge just never got that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pbmrKh4gAk

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, it'd be good to gauge England against the best. We have beaten everyone else, but NZ remain the benchmark.

I suppose we might have a kind of proxy England in NZ soon though. Gatland's preference for beef over guile notwithstanding, one imagines somewhere near half of the touring party will be English.

That said, the only positions I would call with any degree of confidence are Stander at 6, Billy V at 8, ***ton at 10 and Farrell at 12. If there's any justice Hogg will be the full back, but part of me still thinks his relatively small stature and occasional defensive lapse will negate the attacking threat he carries. At least in Warren's mind.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Conor Murray at 9 is more or less a dead cert for me and so the presence of the two Irish half backs (as well as Ireland being the only NH team to beat NZ in five years) makes going for a largely Irish unit quite attractive, so long as you improve it with English second rows and English/Welsh outside backs. There will be plenty of English players in the reserves though, so could well be half the touring party. Especially by the time selection is sorted and they call up half a dozen extra blokes for the midweek team.

This weekend will hopefully answer a lot of questions there.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ha, idiots gonna idiot.

It's a slightly harsh call, but Watson did look very sharp in the hour he got v yer Sweaties and Daly's easily the most talented footballer of the wing options Eddie has at his disposal, so I've no problems with it.

One of Jones's most renowned qualities as a coach is that sliver of ice in his heart that allows him to make the harsher calls (he wasn't afraid to yank Burrell after 20 minutes when he thought the big fella wasn't up to it), but a less heralded one is a preference for ball players in the back line. In Ford, Farrell, Joseph and Daly we have four. One of the most impressive aspects of the Scotland win was the space we created for the backs to exploit. JJ giving kudos to the FF 10/12 combo was on-message, but it went beyond mere pumping up of team-mates' tyres. The Scots barely laid a tartan palm on him for any of his tries, such was the space conjured.

Space + pace = tries.

Howe_zat

Audio File
The thing working against that is his sticking by Mike Brown who, while a safe pair of hands and a strong tackler, has now completely excised all pace and passing from his game. It's a bit like having Nathan Hughes at fullback.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The thing working against that is his sticking by Mike Brown who, while a safe pair of hands and a strong tackler, has now completely excised all pace and passing from his game. It's a bit like having Nathan Hughes at fullback.
That's fair. Mike's legs have gone slightly. He's not breaking the first tackle as often as he used to and has butchered a couple of chances by ignoring May and Daly outside him.

My guess is it's his perceived "leadership" qualities that're keeping him in. We've a relatively young backline and maybe Eddie wanted an old sweat to cajole the shavers along. Now Farrell seems to be maturing (and also appears to have that "natural leader of men" quality his old man had in spades) I suspect Daly (or Nowell or Watson) will be the long term #15.

I`ve been disappointed with the way the Irish have played this year... thought they would be better.
Yeah, I always thought they might struggle for tries with the comparitive lack of pace in the back three, but the defence has cost them in their two defeats so far.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah, it'd be good to gauge England against the best. We have beaten everyone else, but NZ remain the benchmark.

I suppose we might have a kind of proxy England in NZ soon though. Gatland's preference for beef over guile notwithstanding, one imagines somewhere near half of the touring party will be English.

That said, the only positions I would call with any degree of confidence are Stander at 6, Billy V at 8, ***ton at 10 and Farrell at 12. If there's any justice Hogg will be the full back, but part of me still thinks his relatively small stature and occasional defensive lapse will negate the attacking threat he carries. At least in Warren's mind.
If Hogg doesn't start at 15 then something is very wrong.