• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Was Joost the best South African player of the professional era? When I think of Mark Andrews, Andre Venter, Ruben Kreuger, Os du Randt, Bryan Habana, Victor Matfield and Bakkies Botha... I think YES. He was also better than any halfback *** ******* ever produced - including Loveridge.

Is Joost the second best halfback ever after Gareth Edwards? No.

RIP.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Vale Joost.

The words "great" & "legend" are tossed about with wanton abandon nowadays, but both can be applied to the big fella without fear of hyperbole. Quite simply the best scrum half I've seen in my watching.

If one were to pick anyone to epitomise the best of Springbok rugby, it'd be him. Lavishly talent with a step to die for replete with a cold eyed steely hardness. Joost was the player Mike Phillips thought Mike Phillips was. I can think of no higher praise.

Heaven's XV has its starting 9.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
10 Greatest English Rugby Union Players of All-Time

1. Martin Johnson
2. Jeff Butterfield
3. Fran Cotton
4. David Duckham
5. Richard Hill
6. Jonny Wilkinson
7. Jason Robinson
8. Jason Leonard
9. Roger Uttley
10. Wavell Wakefield

special treat... The 'What if Rugby League Never Existed XV'

1. Tony D'Arcy
2. Phil Kearns
3. Enrique 'Topo' Rodriguez
4. Dick Thornett
5. John Eales
6. Scott Gourley
7. Ray Price
8. Mark Loane
9. Ken Catchpole
10. Mark Ella
11. David Campese
12. Wally Lewis
13. Michael O'Connor
14. Dally Messenger
15. Russell Fairfax

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Clifford the big red dog in for Saturday.

i reckon he's the new Tom Croft. Big enough to be picked in the pack but has enough pace to justify randomly popping up on the wing rather than doing traditional flanker work.

vogue

International Vice-Captain
Just caught the last 10 minutes so missed most of the action apart from the Wales try. Looking forward to the second half.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Get in. Always enjoyable to deny Wales their World Cup final. Particularly after giving them victory in recent times.

vogue

Well done England. Enjoyed the second half. Shame for Wales and for me lol...would have got points in the predictions..now likely down at the bottom taking someone else's place :D

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Second week on the bounce we've been second best and got the win. Handy habit to get into; Sir Eddie has turned us into a "cute" team. We've developed the useful knack of winning crucial passages of play.

I think the Welsh game management cost them in the end; obviously Davies, J's decision not to kick for touch was ultimately the deciding factor, but they also spurned two or three very kickable penalties in the first half attempting to force a try, even once opting for a scrum. Nice statement of intent and all but also a wrong-headed failure to realise England were clearly in the ascendancy in that area.

Halfpenny's goal kicking is kinda his thing too...

ripper868

International Coach
Looking forward to Italys victory next week following **** Eddies remarks post match. I'll give him credit he has done well to turn this team around, but he's sincerely in a Piers Morgan league of ****ness for mine.

Scots v Francs will be interesting viewing, fear I'll be en route to Heathrow though so will miss it.

vogue

Looking forward to Italys victory next week following **** Eddies remarks post match. I'll give him credit he has done well to turn this team around, but he's sincerely in a Piers Morgan league of ****ness for mine.

Scots v Francs will be interesting viewing, fear I'll be en route to Heathrow though so will miss it.
Looking forward to this game too, Sunday afternoon viewing whilst watching the snow fall outside. Hope your flight is uneventful and that you get back to English soil soon to continue your travels in Europe. Seems a shame you will miss the spring here,best time in London.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Pretty ordinary passage of rugby there; French concede a penalty for a runner crossing in front of the ball carrier, the substitute scrum half shoves Lopez for (v slightly) tossing the ball away, general handbags ensues, the penalty is reversed and, finally, Lopez misses a gimme shot at goal.

Been a good game though and Fickou crosses as I type; 11-5, kick to come.