Page 223 of 262 FirstFirst ... 123173213221222223224225233 ... LastLast
Results 3,331 to 3,345 of 3922
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Official Rugby Thread

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    I put L at 10 because he seemed like the only option if Quade has been dropped. I actually have concerns about Christian at Super level let alone test match level. So if Quade comes in I would drop L altogether. And no I can't spell his name!

On a serious note I really reckon Aussie needs a game breaker at either 12 or 13 and I reckon O'connor is one of the better players on the planet.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Good move O'connor was wasted on the wing.

Aussie have many guys who can play ten
    Beale (still out?)
    Barnes (injured) but my personal fav
    O'connor

My backline

Genia
    Christian
    James
    AAC
    Ioane
    Anybody at 14 - any mongrel with pace.
    Mogg (has looked awesome)
    Has to be Speight
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Has to be Speight
    nah mitchell

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Odds are the Wobblies are going to be facing some seriously large Lions wings (North is a mortal and the other is likely to be either Cuthbert or Tuillagi), so they need some size out there.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Brumby, how far off an England (re)call-up are the two Wasps wingers?

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    I suspect Varndell's time has gone, tbh. Had very high hopes for the boy, as he's a beast, but does have bollocks for hands and is suspect defensively, which the management obviously hate, hence Barrett and Brown being fixtures in the side.

Wade's played for the Saxons and for England in the annual game v the Baa-Baas so must be in the selectors' thoughts. Worry he's a little petite myself, but has serious gas, which is nice in a wing, obvz.

Charlie Sharples should be next cab off the rank if there's any justice tho; thought he was pretty harshly treated and is a nice, direct runner in the Josh Lewsey mode.

Yeah, defence was the reason Varndell got dropped wasmt it? Still relatively young so don't want to say he's as good as done just yet, but that's because I'm a big fan like yourself. Ashton has cost us his own share of points recently so perhaps a small sign you can still make it if defensively subject.

I'm really not a fan of picking a fullback on the wing. Used to be a time when our back three was a genuinely exciting prospect to watch and now its just not the case. A phenomenal finisher or someone with electric pace (like the two mentioned) would be a pleasant change. The difference in quality between us North-halfpenny-cuthbert was laughable

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Last night's Aussie conference fortunes was an incredible reshuffle in the great unwashed "who should Straya pick for the Lions" speculation game.

Folau let in a try, but apart from that he played like a genius against the Chiefs. George Smith and Lealiifano put themselves firmly on the radar and Jesse Mogg would have to stomp on the selector's door to beat it down any further. Things looking much, much more comforting than last week.

Which leads to its own problems:

1. We now have an embarrassment of riches at 7 in Smith, Gill and Hooper, but who gets drafted in at openside with no Pocock? Presumably Smith because of his experience and match awareness, but I still don't envy Dingo Deans making this decision.

2. To fit all the in-form backs into the squad, some are going to have to be played out of position. Mogg, Barnes and Folau aren't all going to be fullback even though all three are playing well enough in their own right, Quade is still persona non grata with Deans (opening the O'Connor-at-10 farce debate), and with the Lions being extremely clear with declaring a forward-steamroll strategy, you can't help but think that distribution from flyhalf and inside-centre will be crucial if we want to exploit our (well, presumed) mobility advantage. Huge competition on the wings too, considering Ioane is a dead cert and O'Connor, Folau, Mafi and even Mogg worth considering for the other one.

Deans seems to like McCabe at 12 though, and his defence is excellent. Then again, so is Lealiifano's and he distributes and kicks with a lot less hesitation. Then there's Folau again, who is getting exponentially better and translating his league versatility into rugby.

In a perfect world, we'd have Beale at 15, but he probably won't integrate back into the side between now and the first test.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    9 Genia
    10 Cooper
    11 Ioane
    12 Lealiafano / Tapuai
    13 AAC
    14 O'Connor / Speight
    15 Mogg

Folau shouldn't be near the team for a Lions series IMO
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

Reds are first Oz team to sweep NZ counterparts in 17 years of super rugby and arent even best team in Australia

Things might be looking up

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Reds are first Oz team to sweep NZ counterparts in 17 years of super rugby and arent even best team in Australia

Things might be looking up
    Indeed they have played well - although I think Genia has been the edge in some games and is in great form.

While the NZ teams especially the Crusaders who are traditionally our best have not found their mojo. The Chiefs never were going to be as good without SBW. The Highlanders have been dissapointing. And the Canes average.

I can't explain what is going on with the Crusaders.

I am a big fan of the Brumbies this year btw.
    Last edited by Hurricane; 27-04-2013 at 04:29 AM.

In terms of Aussies' prognosis overall. I think they will lose 2-1 to the Lions presuming it is a 3 test series.

I think Robbie is holding you back and the smartest thing NZ ever did is not appoint him head coach of the ABs.

For example for whatever reason - Cooper is starting to play percentage rugby (judging this off the last game) I saw him under pressure take the ball into contact and recycle the ball rather than throw a miracle ball out the back door to his next player which he would have done last year. Deans may have been better to have picked him in this form if he has indeed turned a new leaf and has turned into a proper rugger.
    Last edited by Hurricane; 28-04-2013 at 01:22 AM.

In terms of Aussies' prognosis overall. I think they will lose 2-1 to the Lions presuming it is a 3 test series.

I think Robbie is holding you back and the smartest thing NZ ever did is not appoint him head coach of the ABs.

For example for whatever reason - Cooper is starting to play percentage rugby (judging this off the last game) I saw him under pressure take the ball into contact and recycle the ball rather than throw a miracle ball out the back door to his next player which he would have done last year. Deans may have been better to have picked him in this form if he has indeed turned a new leaf and has turned into a proper rugger.
    During the Reds vs Brumbies clash last week, Greg Martin (a Qlder naturally) had a dig at Deans regarding Cooper and the differences between his play at provincial and test level

Whilst the coach cannot take all the blame, RD has been a big disappointment with the Wobblies and has been very lucky to last this long

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    During the Reds vs Brumbies clash last week, Greg Martin (a Qlder naturally) had a dig at Deans regarding Cooper and the differences between his play at provincial and test level

Whilst the coach cannot take all the blame, RD has been a big disappointment with the Wobblies and has been very lucky to last this long
    Can you remember some of his points social - would love to hear them.

Can you remember some of his points social - would love to hear them.
    After Cooper had done a couple of good things in defence in the one passage of play, one of the other commentators said something like "Cooper does that a lot for Queensland but not for Australia."

Martin countered with something like "that's because the Queensland coach has confidence in his ability and allows him to play to his strengths whereas Robbie Deans obviously doesnt, structures the game differently and Cooper ends up confused and not doing anything particularly well at times"

It was only a 5 second exchange but the inference was that Cooper's game suffers at test level because he feels that Deans doesnt have any confidence in him

Anyway, as I said earlier, whilst you cant blame him for everything, IMO Deans is lucky to have a job after 2 Scotland losses, a defeat by Tonga, the RWC debacle against Ireland and the lack of development of a number of players

Thread Information