• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Anna said:
Well, John Connolly's coaching Australia. I feel betrayed. I'm sure I'll live.
An Australian coaching Australia? Yeah, I can see how you feel betrayed... :blink:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Anna said:
He left Bath in November :p
He hasn't had a wash in two months? Maybe he is an honorary Pom then. :P

(yes, I know Bath is a city and a rugby team...)

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Personally, don't know a lot about the bloke. Good luck to him though, because I think he'll need it.

Anna

International Vice-Captain
He took Bath from near-relegation one season to Premiership play-off final the next. Much respected by many Bath supporters. Good luck to him.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
John who? Australia didn't really put any systems in place to make sure they were ready when Eddie Jones was no longer capable of coaching the Wallabies.

Good luck to him, he'll need it..there really isn't any depth in Australian rugby and there are a number of players close to retirement too.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Voltman said:
He hasn't had a wash in two months? Maybe he is an honorary Pom then.
Hoi.

I've cut out the sheep jokes - you restrict your pom cleanliness jokes to our teeth.:huh:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
Hoi.

I've cut out the sheep jokes - you restrict your pom cleanliness jokes to our teeth.:huh:
But there's so much scope.

And besides, that's my first dig at your nation's lack of personal hygiene.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Write-up from the Highlanders v Reds match in Oamaru last night:

A second-half comeback from the Queensland Reds fell eight points short against a slowly improving Highlanders side in the Super 14 pre-season match at Centennial Park last night.
The match was a typically scrappy encounter for a pre-season match leaving Highlanders coach Greg Cooper and his Reds counterpart Jeff Miller with plenty to work on.
Nick Evans gave the Oamaru crowd a glimpse of his class with a solo try in the first half, but it was Craig Newby who got the tries flowing after an early Nick Evans penalty.
Newby was on hand to take an infield pass from Pehi Te Whare after Ben Blair had returned a Reds clearance with interest, taking the ball to the Reds 5m line.
But the match had been pretty ugly up until the two tries late in the first half.
The crowd got a little excited just before the break though, when Evans ghosted through the defensive line from about 45 metres out and stepped the cover defence to score next to the posts.
The Reds made a better fist of the second half, and even managed parity in the scrum at time against a formidable front row.
The forward pack also snaffled a few balls at ruck and maul time, even when they were heavily outnumbered. Unfortunately, their backs made handling errors at crucial times, turning the ball back over.
But Henari Veratau’s try early in the second half was probably deserved for the Reds, even if it did come in unusual circumstances.
Classy Reds fullback Drew Mitchell chased down a chip into the ingoal, and tapped the ball back to Veratau who touched the ball down without a hand laid on him.
Julian Huxley’s conversion was successful, as was his conversion of the Reds’ second try, which came from a well-constructed maul close to the line.
But a late try to Filipo Levi, in much the same manner as the Reds' last try, gave the Highlanders the vital eight-point buffer, which the team held onto until the final whistle.
The Highlanders lineout was at its worst, which coach Cooper said was an area of concern.
“I just think you can’t get good continuity in a game if you cant get the lineout going,” Cooper said.
And it was the lineout that stymied good field position in the first half.
Cooper said it was a combination of factors that caused the lineout to operate short of its potential.
The Highlanders were on the end of a heavy penalty count from referee Lyndon Bray but Cooper was happy with the way the defensive line moved up.
The 17-0 halftime break was slowly eroded by
As is the way in pre-season matches, most of an extended bench got a run. Replacement halfback Chris Smylie was possibly the best bench player to have a run after he replaced Jimmy Cowan, who looked decidedly rusty for much of the first half.
Cooper was forced into one change when Andrew Blowers was forced to leave the field after copping a boot on his leg, although that gave Filipo Levi more game time at number 8, a position he is still learning.
“I’m a bit tired,” Levi said.
“I was supposed to play the last 20 minutes.”
Levi played most of his club rugby at number eight last season, but this was another step up.
“Me and AB (Andrew Blowers) are learning the role,” he said.
“But we’re both enjoying the opportunity when we get out there.”
Seilala Mapusua had a strong game, turning over plenty of midfield ruck ball, and also linking well with his outside backs when required.
Replacement flanker Tim Boys ran and defended well when he came on, while Tom Donnelly cleaned up the Highlanders’ restart area, which had been a bit messy in the first half.
Cooper wants more accuracy from the team, and will need it, in the team’s first match of the Super 14 at Christchurch against the Crusaders on February 11.
Highlanders 22 (Craig Newby, Nick Evans, Filipo Levi tries; Evans 2 conversions, penalty) Reds 14 (Henari Veratau, Sean Hardman tries; Julian Huxley 2 conversions). Halftime: 17-0.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Who'd you take for The Super 14 (doesn't sound right, does it?) this year, Volts? &, with an eye on any Fantasy teams I may pick, any youthful bolters I should be aware of? :)

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I think the Blues will be hard to topple actually. As long as they can get their first-string tight-five on the paddock.

A smoky for your Fantasy team could be Chris Smylie, who may well usurp Jimmy Cowan as the Highlanders halfback in the first few rounds.

Blaze

Banned
Voltman said:
I think the Blues will be hard to topple actually. As long as they can get their first-string tight-five on the paddock.

Volts - Do you think that they should adjust the play-off system now that there are 14 teams?I IMO 5 teams should qualify for the finals.

The Hurricanes look outstanding on paper, as do the Blues and Crusaders.

My top 4 would be - Blues, Hurricanes, Crusaders, Waratahs.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:
Volts - Do you think that they should adjust the play-off system now that there are 14 teams?I IMO 5 teams should qualify for the finals.

The Hurricanes look outstanding on paper, as do the Blues and Crusaders.

My top 4 would be - Blues, Hurricanes, Crusaders, Waratahs.
No, not interested in long-winded finals systems. A simple 1st v 4th and 2nd v 3rd is fine by me.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
One man I will be following closely this season is Peter Hewat. He had a good season lat year, definitely good enough to be picked for the Wallabies ahead of some of the trash Jones was picking (Johansson, what the?). Hopefully he'll play well again and get rewarded by Connolly.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
One man I will be following closely this season is Peter Hewat. He had a good season lat year, definitely good enough to be picked for the Wallabies ahead of some of the trash Jones was picking (Johansson, what the?). Hopefully he'll play well again and get rewarded by Connolly.
Peter Hewat should never be a Wallaby. A very handy Aussie state player, but doesn't have the pace for the international game. Also, his penchant for trying for the intercept occasionally comes off in the looser Super 12/14 competition, but it would be exploited like nothing else at international level.

As for you questioning the Johansson selection, I wonder at your knowledge of Australia's younger players. I very much like what I've seen of him - he's very agile for a 110kg midfielder, and he was possibly the pick of the Reds at Oamaru on Thursday (even if I didn't mention him in the report). He should be a staple in the Reds backline this season, and I see him as a better long-term prospect than Turinui.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Voltman said:
But there's so much scope.

And besides, that's my first dig at your nation's lack of personal hygiene.
Perhaps it's fallout.

After all, we are only 22 miles from France.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Voltman said:
Peter Hewat should never be a Wallaby. A very handy Aussie state player, but doesn't have the pace for the international game. Also, his penchant for trying for the intercept occasionally comes off in the looser Super 12/14 competition, but it would be exploited like nothing else at international level.

As for you questioning the Johansson selection, I wonder at your knowledge of Australia's younger players. I very much like what I've seen of him - he's very agile for a 110kg midfielder, and he was possibly the pick of the Reds at Oamaru on Thursday (even if I didn't mention him in the report). He should be a staple in the Reds backline this season, and I see him as a better long-term prospect than Turinui.
I see your point about Hewat, fair call. Abit of NSW bias maybe :p

From what I've seen of Johansson (nothing since last season mind you) he doesn't really impress me at all. Looked a bit lost at times, but maybe he'll improve with more experience. I hope he does prove me wrong. As fot Turinui, I'm really disapointed with his inability to step up at the international and even Super 12/14 level. Not living up to his potential at all.