Page 212 of 249 FirstFirst ... 112162202210211212213214222 ... LastLast
Results 3,166 to 3,180 of 3733
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Official Rugby Thread

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    The Tri Nations (or whatever its calling itself now the Argies have been enfranchised) starts again this weekend. Hope Los Pumas put on a good show and maybe sneak the odd win.

Find them altogether less disagreeable as a rugby nation than a football one.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Yeah good luck to them. It makes me pleased to see when people behave in a generous fashion and include another country in their competition for the growth of the sport. The 5 nations did it. And now the Tri Nations have done it.

I sometimes wonder if Argentina may have been better off joining the 6 nations because then they could have beaten up on Italy and had good games with which ever home nation was having a poor year. But geography advised that we were the better fit.

Other changes I would like to see include a Pacific Islands team being admitted into the tournament (and the world cup)

SA is playing Argentina Sunday morning. And we play them Aussies on Sat night.

I think the Argentines will be poor for the 1st two or three games and will get better in the 2nd half of the four nations.
    Last edited by Hurricane; 16-08-2012 at 12:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

State Vice-Captain BackFootPunch's Avatar
    A combined Pacific Nations team in the Rugby Championship would be alright imo but they should play as separate nations at the World Cup. Tonga, Samoa and Fiji have all had decent results on their own.

Very much looking forward to the weekend as well. Alongside the rugby, we have the return of the English Premier League as well.

Wouldn't a combined Pacific team be frowned upon similar to the way the Great Britain football team was?

I'd see a Pacific Islands team as similar to the way the Windies work in cricket. Obviously they don't have the history of doing it but it could certainly work.

The main problem though is that the likes of Tonga and Samoa etc only get their best players at World Cup time. And they've proved they can compete on that stage. They're just nowhere near as good in the years in between which isn't good for anyone except the European clubs they play for.

They can compete but not topple one of the top teams.

If they competed as Pacific Islands they would be a legit chance to win the whole thing.

Tonga toppled France last year no? And France nearly got up against us

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    They can compete but not topple one of the top teams.

If they competed as Pacific Islands they would be a legit chance to win the whole thing.
    This reminds me of Richard's argument that Ireland and Scotland should be forced to play as part of England in cricket.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Quote Originally Posted by BackFootPunch View Post
    Tonga toppled France last year no? And France nearly got up against us
    Touche' - not sure that France really came to play until the knock out phases mind. But good point.

See my Personal Message on your wall.

Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    This reminds me of Richard's argument that Ireland and Scotland should be forced to play as part of England in cricket.
    Disagree with that proposal England are good enough without them. I also believe USA and Canada should combine in rugby and cricket it would be the making of both games in that neck of the woods.

Sevens will be the making of Rugby in USA and Canada I reckon.

It raises an interesting point though, is it better to have 10 teams who can all beat each other on any given day or a few dominant ones and the rest playing catch up?

I can't think of any decent comps that are genuinely open in terms of potential winners.

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    I believe that Europe should make one football team and that be it for everyone.

Not a fan of combining any country with others tbh. Samoa/Tonga/Fiji are perfectly good enough in their own right. Maybe a PI team for a charity game/special tour (ala British and Irish Lions/Barbarians) but that's where it should stop.

A country is a country. Play as one.
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

Quote Originally Posted by ripper868 View Post
    I believe that Europe should make one football team and that be it for everyone.

Not a fan of combining any country with others tbh. Samoa/Tonga/Fiji are perfectly good enough in their own right. Maybe a PI team for a charity game/special tour (ala British and Irish Lions/Barbarians) but that's where it should stop.

A country is a country. Play as one.
    Do you think the West Indies should disband then?

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFootPunch View Post
    I'd see a Pacific Islands team as similar to the way the Windies work in cricket. Obviously they don't have the history of doing it but it could certainly work.

The main problem though is that the likes of Tonga and Samoa etc only get their best players at World Cup time. And they've proved they can compete on that stage. They're just nowhere near as good in the years in between which isn't good for anyone except the European clubs they play for.
    This, plus the lack of opportunities to play against the major nations. I think the idea of a Pacific Islands team, whilst perhaps good in theory to give the best of the Pacific Island players more exposure to facing the bigger nations, won't improve the individual islands' fortunes come World Cup time. Rather, they need to have a window to play international matches against the New Zealands and the Australias. If they're given their best players, I can't see the big teams fielding second string teams. Australia even lost to Samoa in a pre-Tri Nations encounter last year.

Thread Information