• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Ha ha to Henson. Bath beat Worcester- yay. I got the Bath 2005-2006 calendar for xmas- yay also!! :D

Blaze

Banned
One of the greats. It's a shame he had to call it quits. He was our best skipper since Fitzy. I can't help but think that we are going to miss his experience and leadership big time.

Awesome to see that he is staying on for Wellington although he will be blocking the way for either Smith or Nonu who will be trying to replace him in the black jersey.

Who would people's 13 be? Mauger and Smith in mid field doesn't fill me with the greatest confidence in regards to defence even though Smith is a top defender, the pair of them lack size.

Nonu makes too many errors and still misses tackles.

I guess Mills is an option although I would probably go for Smith.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:
One of the greats. It's a shame he had to call it quits. He was our best skipper since Fitzy. I can't help but think that we are going to miss his experience and leadership big time.

Awesome to see that he is staying on for Wellington although he will be blocking the way for either Smith or Nonu who will be trying to replace him in the black jersey.

Who would people's 13 be? Mauger and Smith in mid field doesn't fill me with the greatest confidence in regards to defence even though Smith is a top defender, the pair of them lack size.

Nonu makes too many errors and still misses tackles.

I guess Mills is an option although I would probably go for Smith.
So Smith lacks size, but you think Mils is an option? :blink: Smith is bigger than Mils by a good 5kg.

McAlister and Smith are the 2007 RWC combo for mine...

Blaze

Banned
Voltman said:
So Smith lacks size, but you think Mils is an option? :blink: Smith is bigger than Mils by a good 5kg.

McAlister and Smith are the 2007 RWC combo for mine...

Mills just gives me the impression that he is stronger and more solid. If that is the case then I have underestimated Smith. I agree with McAlister although Mauger seems quite high up in the All Black leadership group. I wouldn't be surprised if he was close to the back seat on the bus.

I personally think Mauger is pretty average. McAlister Smith does have a good look about it.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Possibly, although with the amount of knocks he's been taking and the position he plays, I'm not sure if it's a certainty.

James

Cricket Web Owner
The news media seem to think Anton Oliver stands a good chance of getting the captaincy back.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Blaze said:
Not a good move IMO. He is not a guareented first team pick.
With the strength of the All Blacks currently, is no one but Carter a guaranteed pick though?

Blaze

Banned
James said:
With the strength of the All Blacks currently, is no one but Carter a guaranteed pick though?
There are a couple more who are but yeah I see your point. I can't see anyone else other than McCaw who looks like captain material.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
No. Umaga isn't going anywhere. I am willing to bet my presence on Cricketweb on this one.

Blaze

Banned
Voltman said:
No. Umaga isn't going anywhere. I am willing to bet my presence on Cricketweb on this one.

Yeah and it is nice to see for a change. When was the last time someone retired from the all blacks but stayed in NZ to give back to his province?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Voltman said:
That just a gut-instinct or have you "heard" something, gutter-dwelling journo-scum that you are?! :D

Blaze

Banned
Umaga said that he doesn't want to live in any other country but NZ. He said he has been to every rugby country in the world and none are for him. He wants to keep his family in NZ and give something back to Wellington rugby.

Could be lying but I doubt it.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
That just a gut-instinct or have you "heard" something, gutter-dwelling journo-scum that you are?! :D
I live below the gutters, thanks very much. :p

Nah, pretty much what Blaze said. Also, considering how closely he is tied to the suburb he lives in, Wainuiomata, and considering he's never moved from there, I just don't see it happening.

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Well, John Connolly's coaching Australia. I feel betrayed. I'm sure I'll live.