Page 208 of 262 FirstFirst ... 108158198206207208209210218258 ... LastLast
Results 3,106 to 3,120 of 3923
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Official Rugby Thread

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    If Roberts not playing I may not watch. Will see.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

posted this on cricsim but the action seems to be here

Right good performance from the ABs.

Not sold on Smith the halfback. Lots of sniping runs by him when he might have passed the ball. Thought Weepu took better options.

Carter is a phenom.

Kieran Read is a legend.

Elliot did nothing wrong.

Savea - three tries - looks like he was born to wear the black jersey.

SBW a mixed game. Some knock ons etc. But also took some good options to settle play down on a number of occassions and he wouldn't have done that a year ago. May not have done enough to keep Nonu out of the starting line up.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Hard to know what to take forward, really. Pretty average old Ireland line-up. Think a 3 test series for a team who're on the downward slope and have never beaten NZ ever is a strange call. Been nice to see one of the PI teams get a test versus the big brother.

Although apparently Christchurch is already sold out for next week?
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Hard to know what to take forward, really. Pretty average old Ireland line-up. Think a 3 test series for a team who're on the downward slope and have never beaten NZ ever is a strange call. Been nice to see one of the PI teams get a test versus the big brother.

I honestly felt sorry for Ireland - they were in the game for the first 15 minutes but were down 9-3 for minor infringements. I do think the home team always gets the rub of the green from the ref.

Barnes is a better 1st 5 than Cooper - I don't know why Cooper isn't playing but it will make for a better Aussie.

Higginbottom over; been coming. Horne absolutely butchered a try a couple of minutes ago; simple pass to Ashley-Cooper was on but went alone and got scragged.

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Barnes is a better 1st 5 than Cooper - I don't know why Cooper isn't playing but it will make for a better Aussie.
    Cooper's only just returned to Super Rugby from a long injury layoff, IIRC hes only played 80 minutes once this year. I don't think it was ever the intention that Cooper would play at least the earlier part of the series. I think Australia must persist with Quade though - Genia, Cooper, Mitchell, O'Connor, Ashley-Cooper, Ioane, Beale is a frightening backline and I don't think Barnes brings anything that that combination doesn't.

I honestly felt sorry for Ireland - they were in the game for the first 15 minutes but were down 9-3 for minor infringements. I do think the home team always gets the rub of the green from the ref.
    Ireland always seem to start strongly against us, taking aside the match in New Plymouth two years ago. No contest after the first 15-20 minutes as they really tired badly.

Not sure what you mean the home team receiving favourable refereeing decisions. The penalty count was even and Ireland might count themselves lucky not to have had a yellow card when Conrad Smith was cynically held back with about 10 minutes remaining. Also felt Owens made a strange decision to penalise the AB scrum late in the second half.

posted this on cricsim but the action seems to be here

Right good performance from the ABs.

Not sold on Smith the halfback. Lots of sniping runs by him when he might have passed the ball. Thought Weepu took better options.

Carter is a phenom.

Kieran Read is a legend.

Elliot did nothing wrong.

Savea - three tries - looks like he was born to wear the black jersey.

SBW a mixed game. Some knock ons etc. But also took some good options to settle play down on a number of occassions and he wouldn't have done that a year ago. May not have done enough to keep Nonu out of the starting line up.
    I thought Aaron Smith was excellent for his first test. Speed clearing the ball was good, appeared confident bossing around the forwards and although he didn't attempt too many snipes as Genia did against the Welsh, that wasn't really required with Carter able to direct the game from first-five.

I still have a few concerns about Savea, and most of those will either be proven or dismissed when we face South Africa and they use the high ball endlessly. His performance tonight was outstanding though.

Agree with most of your other comments. Seemed to be a deliberate tactic to use SBW in a rugby league first receiver style to hit the ball up, which was only semi successful. I guess if the idea was to target O'Driscoll, who seemed to make a concious effort to mark SBW, then it worked by forcing him to make more tackles than he was anticipating.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post

Sold out about a month ago actually. Its obviously got a much smaller capacity than the AMI Stadium (formally Jade Stadium/Lancaster Park) damaged in the earthquake and the crowds for Crusaders matches have packed the place out so its little surprise an AB match is sold out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
    Cooper's only just returned to Super Rugby from a long injury layoff, IIRC hes only played 80 minutes once this year. I don't think it was ever the intention that Cooper would play at least the earlier part of the series. I think Australia must persist with Quade though - Genia, Cooper, Mitchell, O'Connor, Ashley-Cooper, Ioane, Beale is a frightening backline and I don't think Barnes brings anything that that combination doesn't.
    Barnes brings a brain, good defence and sound temperament

Cooper posesses none of those attributes

Cooper was unbelievably bad during the WC and that should not be forgotten easily

Solid showing from England, but 22-17 flatters us slightly.

Impressive cameo from Joseph when he came on; **** off a wet shovel, the boy, has serious gas.

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Barnes brings a brain, good defence and sound temperament

Cooper posesses none of those attributes

Cooper was unbelievably bad during the WC and that should not be forgotten easily
    Agreed - only the most patient coach would persist with quade.

@ Somers:
    Smith tried just as many snipes as Genia did if not more. You just noticed Genia's more because they actually resulted in serious metres.

Smith is not the 2nd coming as a halfback. Unless he improves he will be dropped before he plays 20 games as an AB.
    - too many sniping runs
    - taking 3-4 steps towards the backline before releasing the pass.
    - a wobbly pass with his left hand

Pluses
    - Intelligent player and followed the set plays well and the game plan well.
    - Knew when to spin it wide vs pass to the forwards.

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Yeah Barnes has been superb leading the waratahs to 6 straight losses. Give me Quade any day of the week. When a wimpy 5/8 can get so far up Sir richie and the rest of the countries nose that a full blown hate campaign is directed at him he may be doing something right. "oh noes the 5/8 stood up to our worlds greatest flanker, how dare he fight back against richie who is an angel an example for god himsel to live upto"

Cooper>Barnes - Reds v Waratahs will show this.
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

Having crash ball merchants against albeit a very slow and limited but physically big Bok side isnít the best idea. Barritt had a good homecoming, looked like he learnt the lines to God Save the Queen overnight and replaced with a nice shiner after doing sweet FA.

Boks looked pretty ordinary. Aus and NZ still light years ahead in regards to back play.

Thread Information