• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

vogue

International Vice-Captain
Grand slam is England s .

Didn't play at their best but still..hopefully going to get better.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Because I'm bored, here are the 10 greatest rugby coaches of all time...

1. Alan Jones
2. Graham Henry
3. Carwyn James
4. Fred Allen
5. Ian McLaughlin
6. Sir Clive Woodward
7. Rod MacQueen
8. Jim Telfer
9. Bob Dwyer
10. Danie Craven

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Still bored, so here's the greatest rugby side of all time that I could think of...

1. Robert Paparemborde
2. Bryn Meredith
3. Graham Price
4. Frik du Preez
5. John Eales
6. Richard Hill
7. Peter Winterbottom
8. Hennie Muller
9. Gareth Edwards
10. Mark Ella
11. David Campese
12. Mike Gibson
13. Danie Gerber
14. Tony O'Reilly
15. Serge Blanco

subs: Chris Koch (prop), Uli Schmidt (hooker), Martin Johnson (second-rower), Jan Ellis (South Africa), Ken Catchpole (halfback), Jack Kyle (five-eighth), J.P.R. Williams (fullback)

Here's the second best rugby side I could think of...

1. Topo Rodriguez
2. Keith Wood
3. Jean-Pierre Gauret
4. Willie John McBride
5. Johan Claasen
6. Ivor Jones
7. Piet Greyling
8. Mervyn Davies
9. Rob Howley
10. Hugo Porta
11. David Duckham
12. Tim Horan
13. John Gainsford
14. Gerald Davies
15. Andy Irvine

subs: Os du Randt (prop), Colin Deans (hooker), Paul Ackford (second-rower), Mark Loane (eightman), Joost van der Westhuizen (halfback), Cliff Morgan (five-eighth), H.O. de Villiers

1. Ian McLaughlin
2. Jan Lotz
3. Fran Cotton
4. Victor Matfield
5. Mark Andrews
6. Willie Ofahengaue
7. Schalk Burger
8. Mourne du Plessis
9. Danie Craven
10. Bennie Osler
11. Joe Roff
12. Mannetjies Roux
13. Trevor Allen
14. Bryan Habana
15. Jason Robinson

subs: Peter Johnson (hooker); Boy Louw (prop); Lucien Mias (second-rower) ; Lawrence Dallaglio (eightman); John Hipwell (halfback); Michael Lynagh (five-eighth); Matt Burke

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I feel like you've deliberately left some huge names off that list...to the point that it seems like it's baiting...

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I feel like you've deliberately left some huge names off that list...to the point that it seems like it's baiting...
I think that is clear Hendrix. But only a rabid ABs are NUMBER ONE FOREVER fan would bite. I think you and I are both non-plussed by his list.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Hurricane, what's your all-time XV? I've been trying to get BoyBrumby to give me his XV, but he seems to ignore my posts these days for some strange reason. But yeah, give me your all-time XV.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Re: Huge Names Off That List

Nass Botha
He had an amazing boot but couldn't tackle. Also he didn't unleash that phenomenal backline enough, where danger men like Gerber and Carel du Plessis roamed.

Rupeni Caucau
Phenomenal peak! But drug issues got in the way of what could have been the greatest wing of all time.

Dider Codorniu
The most underrated rugby player of all time... But with Sella, Jean Prat, etc, in the way, he just couldn't make my list.

Jerome Gallion
Underrated halfback - really underrated! But just couldn't command the same position.

Abdel Benaazi
Close! Very close! He could be very erratic.

Brian O'Driscoll
Overrated. An extremely overrated player.

John Rutherford
Close... very close...

Oh stuff this! I appreciate your point. Here is another list!

1. Ray McLaughlin
2. Rafael Ibanez
3. Phil Vickery
4. Rob Heming
5. Gordon Brown
6. Abdel Benazzi
7. Michel Crauste
8. Laurent Rodriguez
9. Jerome Gallion
10. Stephen Larkham
11. Rupeni
12. Jean Prat
13. Didier Codorniu
14. Patrice Lagisquet
15. Gavin Hastings

subs: Jeff Probyn; Brian Moore (England); Steve Cutler (second-rower); Neil Back (openside-flanker); Dean Richards; Dickie Jeeps (halfback); John Rutherford (five-eighth);

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Hurricane, what's your all-time XV? I've been trying to get BoyBrumby to give me his XV, but he seems to ignore my posts these days for some strange reason. But yeah, give me your all-time XV.
I havn't watched enough world rugby to the topic justice. Also I was overseas for many years so my list will be full of recent players and 1980s players. Nonetheless here is a list...

1 McDowell
2 Bismark
3 Servat (is that his name? The French prop)
4 Ian Jones
5 Steve Cutler
6 Pinetree
7 McCaw
8 Shelford

9 Nick Farr Jones
10 Lynagh
11 Lomu
12 Nonu
13 Sella
14 Campese
15 Hastings

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Wow!

Steve Cutler, but not John Eales?
Shelford over Zinzan...?
McCaw over Ice?
Hastings over Cullen?
Bismark over Fizty?
Did Pinetree ever play at 6?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Wow!

Steve Cutler, but not John Eales?
Shelford over Zinzan...?
McCaw over Ice?
Hastings over Cullen?
Bismark over Fizty?
Did Pinetree ever play at 6?
Wiki says Pinetree played 8, Flanker and lock, And he doesn't sound like an openside to me so that leaves the 6 jersey.
Steve Cutler was amazing.
Shelford was a significantly better player than Zinzan and wouldn't mention the two of them in the same breath.
Young Ritchie was a sight to behold. While Michael Jones' reputation was bigger than he was as a player.
Yes probably Cullen is a better Fullback than Hastings but I needed some more Northern Hemisphere guys. And always loved Hastings.
Fitzpatrick was a fantastic lineout thrower but an average scrummager and average around the field in the loose.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
of those I've seen

1. Os Du Randt
2. Mario Ledesma
3. Carl Hayman
4. Brad Thorn
5. John Eales
6. Jerome Kaino
7. Richie McCaw
8. Kieran Read
9. George Gregan
10. Dan Carter
11. Jonah Lomu
12. Tim Horan
13. Umaga
14. Rupeni
15. Cullen

I wanted Brodie Retallick there over Thorn but then I realised Retallick is only 25 which is insane.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
of those I've seen

1. Os Du Randt
2. Mario Ledesma
3. Carl Hayman
4. Brad Thorn
5. John Eales
6. Jerome Kaino
7. Richie McCaw
8. Kieran Read
9. George Gregan
10. Dan Carter
11. Jonah Lomu
12. Tim Horan
13. Umaga
14. Rupeni
15. Cullen

I wanted Brodie Retallick there over Thorn but then I realised Retallick is only 25 which is insane.
Too many All Blacks. By that, I mean 8 too many All Blacks.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I've only been watching since the late 90s. The best players have often been all blacks in that time.

it's also my list so **** you etc etc