• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So. The wallabies beat the all blacks despite a nick phipps horror show. Great game of rugby, thoroughly enjoyed in an english pub with pints at 11am. Always felt NZ would win. Nic white booked his ticket to england , Toomua showed he is our starting 10.
Phipps and Foley are decidedly average but for the love of god, don't pick White

Pick Genia, the kid from the Rebels, Toomua, Lealiifano and chuck Giteau in the mix as well

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It was a disappointing result, but that was a really entertaining game to watch. Well done to the Aussies - deserving winners.

I thought Aaron Smith was pretty poor for us. But NMS was fantastic on debut.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
1) Fardy had a game of two halves. Didn't notice him much 1st half. In the 2nd half he looked the best in the world in his position. Perhaps he just has better conditioning than most.
2) Pocock for the first time in many years of watching the Bledisloe cup actually gave Australia an asset at number 8. Usually that player is a complete passenger everytime we play australia and it turns into us against 14 men. That is hyperbole obviously. But some truth to it as well. Inspired selection to put him at 8 even if he had no idea how to release the ball from the back of the scrum.
3) Aaron Smith has lost his shape on clearing the ball from the base. Needs to watch some of his own videos.
4) Pleased as punch we lost. We needed that so the players will actually listen to the coaches when they tell them to train harder for the world cup.
5) We will crush Australia next week by 20 points at least so strong are we at Eden Park.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Phipps and Foley are decidedly average but for the love of god, don't pick White

Pick Genia, the kid from the Rebels, Toomua, Lealiifano and chuck Giteau in the mix as well
Do you mean stirzacker spelling?
If so he is too inexperienced

Rebels were great this year but the force gave new voice to concerns that 5 teams in Australia is a bad call

ripper868

International Coach
5) We will crush Australia next week by 20 points at least so strong are we at Eden Park.
I think the AB's will win, but I don't think it'll be a 20 point drubbing. This year's All Blacks isn't the unbeatable All Blacks of year's gone by, the names are the same for the most part (Smith's, Carter, Read, McCaw et al, but the pace and precision isn't quite there. All Blacks by 10 or less - or the Wallabies by 2 with a Nic White Penalty goal from halfway.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I think the AB's will win, but I don't think it'll be a 20 point drubbing. This year's All Blacks isn't the unbeatable All Blacks of year's gone by, the names are the same for the most part (Smith's, Carter, Read, McCaw et al, but the pace and precision isn't quite there. All Blacks by 10 or less - or the Wallabies by 2 with a Nic White Penalty goal from halfway.
We are getting Nonu back. He is worth 7 points alone. If our proper locks start the game then that is also worth another 7 points. Our two starters are world class, but our locks off the bench aren't so great, would probably have Thrush as 3rd choice at least he is competent even if he is not a force.

Also we have home town advantage. ABs by 20. I don't even think Australia will enter the game genuinely believing they can win.

I can't even remember the last game we lost to anyone in New Zealand. Probably SA in Hamilton in 2009 or so. That is a long time.

If we really really wanted to win this game then we would resort to thuggery. Luckily for Australia we don't care that much as our sights are set on the world cup and we don't want to lose anyone to a suspension. In days of yore however I would think we would have taken out Pocock as he was basically the difference between both sides.
"Taking out" by the way doesn't need to be a blunt Richard Loe approach of breaking his nose. We have other methods.
1) A hard punch to the ribs at the bottom of the ruck will learn him not to go into dark places too often. If he doesn't learn the first time repeat as necessary.
2) Come close to breaking his fingers when he tries to wrap up his hands around the ball. This is a legit tactic and was taught to me at rugby training and we practiced it on each other.
3) Finally the politically correct answer - is to nullify him. This is a combination of us meeting with the referee before the game (as we are allowed to) and asking strategic questions about how the law will be administered that guide the referee into making decisions on the night that ping Pocock off the field. Nullifying him also means plain clearing him out. Someone like Kaino gets asked to do the business and just nullify him at the breakdown physically. Target him and don't let him compete.

ripper868

International Coach
The next All Black coach:hqdefault.jpg

Honestly think the AB's are too classy to resort to those sort of tactics, and honestly good luck using all 3 on Pocock if they did, omething tells me a knock or two here and there doesn't really bother him.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Jesus Hurricane.
Your point about the locks was absolutely valid but then what are you talking about with all that other garbage? There is no place for that crap.

There were several weak points in our game that we need to address:
-Kieran Read needs to regain his form because he's becoming a bit of a liability, which is crazy considering how good he was 2 years ago. He's missing tackles all over the shop.
-Sonny Bill Williams simply doesn't have the pace or the ability to run the lines that a good 12 should.
-Conrad Smith needs to pick up his game, which I expect he will do with the re-introduction of Nonu.
-We can actually run the ball out from the 22 every now and again: Ben Smith, Julian Savea and Nehe Milner-Scudder is ridiculously potent. Give them more licence to run.

Those are a few things to consider before resorting to cheap shots.

social

One point that seems to have been missed in all this is that the Wallabies didn't actually play all that well and still won so BOTH sides have lots of improvement in them

I will be pleasantly surprised if Oz win but anyone thinking that all the ABs have to do is turn up and they will win by 20 is kidding themselves - they will need to improve a lot and Australia will need to go backwards from not a massively high base for that to be the case

social

The next All Black coach:View attachment 22248

Honestly think the AB's are too classy to resort to those sort of tactics, and honestly good luck using all 3 on Pocock if they did, omething tells me a knock or two here and there doesn't really bother him.
Ha ha, the guy is an absolute weapon so good luck with taking him out

If the ABs are sensible (and they are!), they will devise a game plan which involves keeping Pooper away from the ball as the GOAT et al cant hope to match them at the things they do well

ripper868

International Coach
Social brings the goods. Really looking forward to Saturday morning (London time) , and also Saturday night having picked up some sneaky tickets to England v France.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
To quote that Indian fan before the 2011 cricket world cup final, all my team needs to do is catch the bus to the game on time.

Seriously home town advantage is huge. Australia have been quality at home for the last two years so don't read too much into the last game. They don't travel well, And the ABs are beasts at home.

Yes I am saying all we have to do is turn up.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
We're just not that good.

This year the referees aren't enforcing the release of the tackled player as strictly, which makes it much easier to earn defensive penalties. More significantly, our speed to the breakdown has slowed down considerably, which is not something you can let slide against Pocock and Hooper. This is why Hansen has gone for Vito over Kaino, which sacrifices physicality for a bit more mobility and speed around the park.

Of course, the ideal candidate to provide that extra pace in the loose forwards would be Ardie Savea, as he has done this for the Hurricanes all season, but he's not in the squad.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
We're just not that good.

This year the referees aren't enforcing the release of the tackled player as strictly, which makes it much easier to earn defensive penalties. More significantly, our speed to the breakdown has slowed down considerably, which is not something you can let slide against Pocock and Hooper. This is why Hansen has gone for Vito over Kaino, which sacrifices physicality for a bit more mobility and speed around the park.

Of course, the ideal candidate to provide that extra pace in the loose forwards would be Ardie Savea, as he has done this for the Hurricanes all season, but he's not in the squad.
Goodness the quality of our posts has gone in polar directions. I have become the rugby thread semi troll and you are delivering the posts with technical details and solid information. A long time ago I used to post like that. Good stuff Hendrix.:)

ripper868

International Coach
Cheika has named a rather experimental side for this, including benching Pocock and starting Cooper. I'm interested to see if the Auckland crowd is over the booing yet, or if they are still afraid of a wittle boy from Tokoroa who dared to ruffle Richie.

I don't think this team will win the Bledisloe, but I understand Cheika's thinking in giving everyone a crack - and it also means the AB's won't have a chance to see if they can nullify the Pooper, until we meet at the RWC anyway.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Cheika has named a rather experimental side for this, including benching Pocock and starting Cooper. I'm interested to see if the Auckland crowd is over the booing yet, or if they are still afraid of a wittle boy from Tokoroa who dared to ruffle Richie.

I don't think this team will win the Bledisloe, but I understand Cheika's thinking in giving everyone a crack - and it also means the AB's won't have a chance to see if they can nullify the Pooper, until we meet at the RWC anyway.
stupid decision. They win on Saturday and they would own us at the world cup. Plus this Wallaby team would start to believe in themselves.

Ranking of 10s in Aussie

Foley
Toomua
Giteau
Daylight
Daylight
Cooper

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Plus Pocock needs every chance he can get to learn the 8 jersey and the Aussie team need to learn team work. They were attrocious at times with their combinations.

Stupid.