• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

PY

International Coach
I saw the All Blacks 'talking' to the ref as well during the game so it's not a one-sided affair but I have to admit, the Home Nations have been doing it more than others. Not saying it's OK because both sides do because it needs stamping out whoevers doing it.

And Scotland don't have the best back line, they just didn't have to face Dan Carter (without wanting to sound like the Sky commentators who love him) who shredded England and Wales. Didn't get to see the Ireland game though so could have been different. I think all of the Home Nations have problems in their backs to be honest except for the possibility of Ireland when they get it together. Have to admit though that the Sweaties put up an awesome fight. :)

Six Nations is going to be interesting this year....

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
David Lyons should be coverted to a prop. Now that would be interesting.

Tony Spreadborough is a hilarious ref. I love it when he just squeals or tells players to 'SHUT UP!' in that high voice of his.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
KennyD said:
David Lyons should be coverted to a prop. Now that would be interesting.

Tony Spreadborough is a hilarious ref. I love it when he just squeals or tells players to 'SHUT UP!' in that high voice of his.
Spreaders is just about the worst ref out there. He's pretty much universally reviled at every English Premiership ground. He can't ref scrums to save his life & has a very infuriating habit of blowing his whistle & then deciding what he's going to give! He came close to ruining what I thought was a pretty decent test. So, as an Englishman, I'd like to apologise for the deeply incompetent turd. :p

Went to Twickers yesterday for the Samoa game. We were pretty average again I thought, especially first half. We didn't recycle the ball quickly enough & our threequarters were standing far too laterally; not once did I see anyone hit the ball at pace. We improved a bit in the second half when we bought Olly Barkley on to play at inside centre & moved Tindall back to his natural position at 13.

Nice to see Varndell score on his debut (although doubt he'll get many easier scores) & there was a serious bout of handbags towards the end. Annoyingly I couldn't see much of it because it happened on the opposite touchline to where I was sitting & when the fight broke out they pulled the plug on the big screen! The wusses! You're never too old to enjoy seeing a good tear-up! :D

After the autumn tests I think NZ are a way clear of the pack, with SA second, yer Frogs third & us fourth.

PY

International Coach
The BBC weren't shy about showing it. :D

Moody definitely should have gone as should Tuilagi. Vili should have probably gone as well for the forearm swipe on Cueto, I'm not surprised he got angry at the second effort (not condoning his reaction though). The Fiji #7 should thank his lucky stars as well to be honest as he threw several into Cueto's unprotected skull.

It was a disappointing effort from England really though the result looks OK.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Maybe our defence made Scotland's backs look good, but I don't think so.

The Lamont break set up a long period of play where Scotland were camped in our half. They tried to maul their way over the line, but our defence held out (the only aspect of our performance that didn't drop off.)

I was impressed with Lamont, the replacement half-back Blair and the fullback Southwell. Their first five isn't any great shakes, but the replacement Godman put in a neat little kick for Webster's try. We didn't see any vision like that from the other home nations. Scotland did a hell of a lot more with the ball.

They may not be as adventurous in the Six Nations, but it had some of us in New Zealand wondering why Lamont wasn't a Lion.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Anybody see Bob Dwyer's defence of Eddie Jones? He has got to be kidding. This is getting absolutely ridiculous.

Also, here is something that I think should be implemented, not only in rugby but all sports. Instead of contracting coaches for years to come, short-term contracts (one year max) or performance-based contracts should be used. This solves so many issues, because the ARU sacking Jones would be admitting a mistake in contracting him until 2007. This is the only reason I feel they are hesitant in showing a negative attitude towards him publicly, let alone sack him.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
What did Dwyer say?

Eddie Jones is a bit of a comedown from the likes of Alan Jones, Bob Dwyer and Rod MacQueen, but he did orchestrate some of those Sydney defeats over us...

What's the bigger problem, the tight five or Jones' insistent phase play? (Since you guys have the backs to kill us.)

PY

International Coach
Moody banned for 9 weeks, Tuilagi for six and Vili for 2 weeks.

Got to love the rose-tints the Samoan coach has on. :D

""There was a reaction from Cueto, and Moody came in and took a swing at Alesana from behind, and then it was all on.

"I think the guys were getting quite frustrated, and they didn't appreciate one of their boys getting hit from behind, which is what I think started it.

"For Semo Sititi to be involved in that, there was obviously something very awry. He is a consummate professional, but he was aggrieved very much by what he saw."

On the clear as day video, it was Tuilagi who threw the first punch and everyone else stupidly joined in. 8-)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, but Moody's got previous this year tho. Already served 6 weeks for a spot of pagga so he was always going to get clobbered. Leicester must be overjoyed! :D

Anna

BoyBrumby said:
Spreaders is just about the worst ref out there. He's pretty much universally reviled at every English Premiership ground. He can't ref scrums to save his life & has a very infuriating habit of blowing his whistle & then deciding what he's going to give! He came close to ruining what I thought was a pretty decent test. So, as an Englishman, I'd like to apologise for the deeply incompetent turd. :p
he refereed a match at my college once!

We improved a bit in the second half when we bought Olly Barkley on to play at inside centre & moved Tindall back to his natural position at 13
Didn't watch the game unforunately (was playing iron-woman ultimate frisbee all day!!) but the combination of Tindall & Barkley seems to be the best pairing of the autumn from what I've heard.

Last edited:

PY

International Coach
Robinson certainly sounds like he's pretty happy with it while trying to sound if Moody has been hard done by. :D

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Anna said:
Didn't watch the game unforunately (was playing iron-woman ultimate frisbee all day!!) but the combination of Tindall & Barkley seems to be the best pairing of the autumn from what I've heard.
It was, for my money. Olly is our only inside centre with anything like a test-standard kicking game & I think he might be able to do a decent job as a 2nd 5/8th in the NZ mold. Plus with him being a leftie it dovetails nicely with Charlie H @ 10. Ideally he'd be a yard or two quicker, but I think he's worth a run there.

WRT your ultimate frisbee thingy, when I went to see Leicester-Gloucester the other week they had a demonstration of it at half-time! Apparently Leicester are ok at it or something? Not my cuppa tea, but to each their own! :p

BoyBrumby

Englishman
marc71178 said:
Moody still makes it back for the 6 Nations apparently - is the whole punishment a cop-out?
Does smack of a bit of a carve-up. Given he'd already had the one ban & the maximum suspension for fighting is a year! I guess they'd argue Tuilagi had the first swing, but even so Moody must've thrown about half a dozen punches.

Anna

PY said:
Bet you were knackered..... :blink:
Yup!! It was great fun tho. Twas Damme Slamme indoor tournament in Nottingham- we won spirit!! Got a couple of really nice mugs as a prize :)

BoyBrumby said:
WRT your ultimate frisbee thingy, when I went to see Leicester-Gloucester the other week they had a demonstration of it at half-time! Apparently Leicester are ok at it or something? Not my cuppa tea, but to each their own! :P
Really? That's great! Yeah, Leicester are pretty good....I'm guessing it was EMO (East Midlands Open) who did the demo?

open365

BoyBrumby said:
Oh dear. What a tragedy for the world's most overrated player, er, rather the glamorous Welsh inside-centre. :laugh:

England to shaft the Taffs royally at Twickers now. From the beeb's website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/european/4540652.stm
This is the best piece of news i've heard in a while!!!!!!!

There is no one i detest more in sport than Gavin fecking Henson,how dare he accuse tigers of foul play!