• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
With all due respect, how could you get it so wrong? Did you actually remember any of Loe's "incidents"?
Let it go. You are sometimes a bit grumpy online. Not all the time just sometimes.

If you must have an answer I left NZ in 1990 so I suspect some of those incidents in the video happened after that. If they happened in the 80s then I don't have a memory of them. My main memories of Loe incidents were him breaking a french front rowers nose in a test. And him just generally roughing people up in rucks and mauls.

My rugby (and cricket) watching consists of circa 1978-1990 and 2007-2014.

I missed all of Cullen's and Umaga's careers :(

ripper868

International Coach
:wub: a Cullen Run.

Loe a ****. "Hardmen" that should be celebrated are more in the like of Zinzan and Robin Brooke, Sean Fitzpatrick, Totuai Kefu, Tana Umaga, Francois Pienaar. Guys who played tough, and (mostly) fair.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Some comments on the game

1) Toomua. Quality quality Quality player. He has grown so much even over the course of this season. Just always seems to take the right option. He was as good as Cruden tonight and some people put Cruden in the top 5 fly halfs in the world.
2) Fardy - mixed game, strong in lineouts, needs to start playing like a big man. I realise Australia needs him at lineout time, he needs to pick up his play around the paddock. Gave away silly penalties.
3) White - an inexcusable knock on from the base. Good halfbacks don't make those mistakes. Good game overall. Not test quality because of that knock on.
4) Mowen - played like a number 8 should. Strong rambunctuous runs. Good game from the captain. Led from the front.
5) Anscombe - why did he come on with 5 minutes left why wasn't he starting. That was why the chiefs lost,
6) Dave Renney. Appalling performance. All of his substitutions failed. Both the fullback and the 9 both gave away penalties even though they were only out there for a matter of minutes.
7) Retallick - best lock in open play in the world atm.
8) Tamiefuna sp? - surprised he lasted the game. His fitness must be improving.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Also for the Pat McCabe fans out there. He really should be a starting player in Super Rugby. But he isn't good enough to get a go at the Brumbies and that is fair enough. He also wouldn't get a go at the Tahs unless he wants to challenge for wing spot. He needs to switch teams next season to the rebels or someone. That would also be good for the league overall.

the big bambino

International Captain
Look if we are going to make and accept the point that thuggery in rugby is about bigger players picking on smaller players who are unable to defend themselves, and whose entire team is too intimidated to dish out some payback at the bottom of a ruck then I don't have much of a leg to stand on because thuggery sounds just as cowardly as sledging is if not worse.

So you have taken away by way of assumption my first reason which is that thuggery is less cowardly.
I guess the other reason I have for preferring thuggery is that it is against the rules and there is consequences, so justice is done in the end.
Sledging on the other hand is within the rules, I have often seen some of the younger batsman in international cricket become completely unsettled by a verbal serve from the slip cordon, the batsman has complained to the umpire and the umpire has just said "OK OK settle down young man". You can basically say whatever you want - only time you might get in trouble is if the stump mic catches you like it did to Michael Clarke. Thus the only remaining reason I can hold on to is that thuggery gets punished and this sanctifies it more in my mind while I feel more cross with sledging because the perpetrators get off scot free and this makes it seem like more of an injustice to me.

With regards to the assumption that thuggery is cowardly. I don't know whether it is or isn't - Richard Loe certainly never had anyone take him to task after he broke someone's nose. And perhaps that it is because people were afraid of him. So maybe his acts were cowardly. But they were very big forwards that he assaulted and not little wings or half backs. So I could go either way.

Thanks for this reply. I was avoiding the thread bcos I thought I was going to get a serve. :laugh: That'll teach me about making assumptions. All fair enough but a minor criticism - I don't think your point is best illustrated with Loe. :)

the big bambino

International Captain
I was at the Brumbies v Chiefs match with my eldest son and boy what an event!. Just a great great game and its so refreshing to see the Brumbies play with panache after so may years of stodginess and down right clumsiness. Enjoyed watching them this year. Agree that Toomua is class but I also think Nic White is our best halfback option atm. Despite our shellacking last start against the Tahs I think we can win to get our usual comeuppance v Crusaders.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I was at the Brumbies v Chiefs match with my eldest son and boy what an event!. Just a great great game and its so refreshing to see the Brumbies play with panache after so may years of stodginess and down right clumsiness. Enjoyed watching them this year. Agree that Toomua is class but I also think Nic White is our best halfback option atm. Despite our shellacking last start against the Tahs I think we can win to get our usual comeuppance v Crusaders.

I am glad you enjoyed the game. And it makes me happy to encounter any Aussie who has a love for rugby. It makes me happy for the state of world rugby that two of the semi finalists are from Aussie and only one from NZ. I always think the competition is a joke when two NZ teams make the final to compete against one another.

I loved the last 15 minutes of the game there were massive hits, and heroes stood up to be counted. It must have been insane to be there live. Your money would have been well spent.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Thanks for this reply. I was avoiding the thread bcos I thought I was going to get a serve. :laugh: That'll teach me about making assumptions. All fair enough but a minor criticism - I don't think your point is best illustrated with Loe. :)
I like that you call me out at times and you always do so politely without being OTT . Cheers.

ripper868

International Coach
I am glad you enjoyed the game. And it makes me happy to encounter any Aussie who has a love for rugby. It makes me happy for the state of world rugby that two of the semi finalists are from Aussie and only one from NZ. I always think the competition is a joke when two NZ teams make the final to compete against one another.
This comment peaked my interest so did some research.

NZ v NZ Finals: 4 (2006, 2003, 1999, 1998)
RSA v RSA: 2 (2010, 2007)
AUS v AUS: 0

So it's not as common as you might think, particularly if you remove the 1998/99 results, that's only twice in the last 11 years of competition, and not since 2006, during which time there have been two RSA v RSA finals.

AUS cleary running a distant last, but we invaribly end up with Aussie teams every year competing for the NRL and AFL titles.:ph34r:

EDIT: Link to Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Rugby#Champions

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
I've never really got into the Brumbies Tahs rivalry as I thought it was a bit confected. But now I hear those ****ers have banned Brumby Jack from the sidelines! Thats it Tahs. You have earned by undying hate and like forever. :mad:

Spark

Global Moderator
Haha, ain't that the truth.