• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

Quaggas

State Captain
So, from this

QF1: Winner Pool B v Runner-up Pool A
QF2: Winner Pool C v Runner-up Pool D
QF3: Winner Pool A v Runner-up Pool B
QF4: Winner Pool D v Runner-up Pool C

1st vs 2nd in pool D will be massive. The winner in B will have a rather more difficult quarter finals match

Edit; Oh, and then:
SF1: Winner QF1 v Winner QF2
SF2: Winner QF3 v Winner QF4

!

Think SA should attempt to finish 2nd in B

Last edited:

ripper868

International Coach
Looking at the draw closer, Australia have dodged a massive bullet.

We'd be proper stuffed if we were drawn with Samoa and Scotland!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
England test player threatened with deportation from UK

From the BBC.

His career ending injury happened when playing for England too.

It's a farce, obviously, and he'll doubtless be allowed to stay, but that it's ever come to this is insulting.

Whatever one thinks of the laxity of union's eligibility rules, if a chap is English enough to play for the country he's surely English enough to live here.

ripper868

International Coach
Yeah poor form really. His son is born in England so I'm guessing his kid has automatic "Englisman" stamped upon him (unlucky little blighter). Been a massive outcry all over twitter and the like so would back that he'll end up staying.

the sportman's contract route to citizenship may be possible if a club signed him up at $2 per year in a token contract. Be nice to see but probably wont happen.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Big win for the Brumbies first up. Pocock predictably a beast at the breakdown.

Didn't maybe create as many chances as the dominance would've suggested, but very solid stuff first up.

Oh, & in your face, ripper! How'd you like them apples? Etc, etc... :ph34r:

ripper868

International Coach
We prefer gum leaves - the brumbies would have certainly enjoyed them apples though.

Outclassed across the field, particularly in the back row - Mowen and Pocock were immense and menacing - our lads are probably 3 years too young before they are at that level (20,20 and 21 I think)

Reds for the title. We've got Genia back Mid-season and Horwill to come - and Quade doing double trainings so we'll be sweet....

ripper868

International Coach
So then...Robbie Deans is out to secure the Lions first Series win since forever.

He's gone and left Cooper out of an initial 30 man 'logistics' camp...Happy to acknowledge the freak skills of O'connor and Lealiafano, but those two don't exactly have the same combination with Genia that QC does. My thoughts would be you pick the best halves pairing,which IMO is Genia and Cooper given their fantastic understanding of each other's games.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
So then...Robbie Deans is out to secure the Lions first Series win since forever.

He's gone and left Cooper out of an initial 30 man 'logistics' camp...Happy to acknowledge the freak skills of O'connor and Lealiafano, but those two don't exactly have the same combination with Genia that QC does. My thoughts would be you pick the best halves pairing,which IMO is Genia and Cooper given their fantastic understanding of each other's games.
Good move O'connor was wasted on the wing.

Aussie have many guys who can play ten
Beale (still out?)
Barnes (injured) but my personal fav
O'connor

My backline

Genia
Christian
James
AAC
Ioane
Anybody at 14 - any mongrel with pace.
Mogg (has looked awesome)

ripper868

International Coach
A quality backline that - but if you slot QC into 10, Lealiafano out to 12 and O'Connor back to the sting...so many options from midfield and counter attack.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I put L at 10 because he seemed like the only option if Quade has been dropped. I actually have concerns about Christian at Super level let alone test match level. So if Quade comes in I would drop L altogether. And no I can't spell his name!

On a serious note I really reckon Aussie needs a game breaker at either 12 or 13 and I reckon O'connor is one of the better players on the planet.

Spark

Global Moderator
Good move O'connor was wasted on the wing.

Aussie have many guys who can play ten
Beale (still out?)
Barnes (injured) but my personal fav
O'connor

My backline

Genia
Christian
James
AAC
Ioane
Anybody at 14 - any mongrel with pace.
Mogg (has looked awesome)
Has to be Speight

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Odds are the Wobblies are going to be facing some seriously large Lions wings (North is a mortal and the other is likely to be either Cuthbert or Tuillagi), so they need some size out there.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I suspect Varndell's time has gone, tbh. Had very high hopes for the boy, as he's a beast, but does have bollocks for hands and is suspect defensively, which the management obviously hate, hence Barrett and Brown being fixtures in the side.

Wade's played for the Saxons and for England in the annual game v the Baa-Baas so must be in the selectors' thoughts. Worry he's a little petite myself, but has serious gas, which is nice in a wing, obvz.

Charlie Sharples should be next cab off the rank if there's any justice tho; thought he was pretty harshly treated and is a nice, direct runner in the Josh Lewsey mode.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, defence was the reason Varndell got dropped wasmt it? Still relatively young so don't want to say he's as good as done just yet, but that's because I'm a big fan like yourself. Ashton has cost us his own share of points recently so perhaps a small sign you can still make it if defensively subject.

I'm really not a fan of picking a fullback on the wing. Used to be a time when our back three was a genuinely exciting prospect to watch and now its just not the case. A phenomenal finisher or someone with electric pace (like the two mentioned) would be a pleasant change. The difference in quality between us North-halfpenny-cuthbert was laughable

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Last night's Aussie conference fortunes was an incredible reshuffle in the great unwashed "who should Straya pick for the Lions" speculation game.

Folau let in a try, but apart from that he played like a genius against the Chiefs. George Smith and Lealiifano put themselves firmly on the radar and Jesse Mogg would have to stomp on the selector's door to beat it down any further. Things looking much, much more comforting than last week.

Which leads to its own problems:

1. We now have an embarrassment of riches at 7 in Smith, Gill and Hooper, but who gets drafted in at openside with no Pocock? Presumably Smith because of his experience and match awareness, but I still don't envy Dingo Deans making this decision.

2. To fit all the in-form backs into the squad, some are going to have to be played out of position. Mogg, Barnes and Folau aren't all going to be fullback even though all three are playing well enough in their own right, Quade is still persona non grata with Deans (opening the O'Connor-at-10 farce debate), and with the Lions being extremely clear with declaring a forward-steamroll strategy, you can't help but think that distribution from flyhalf and inside-centre will be crucial if we want to exploit our (well, presumed) mobility advantage. Huge competition on the wings too, considering Ioane is a dead cert and O'Connor, Folau, Mafi and even Mogg worth considering for the other one.

Deans seems to like McCabe at 12 though, and his defence is excellent. Then again, so is Lealiifano's and he distributes and kicks with a lot less hesitation. Then there's Folau again, who is getting exponentially better and translating his league versatility into rugby.

In a perfect world, we'd have Beale at 15, but he probably won't integrate back into the side between now and the first test.

ripper868

International Coach
9 Genia
10 Cooper
11 Ioane
12 Lealiafano / Tapuai
13 AAC
14 O'Connor / Speight
15 Mogg

Folau shouldn't be near the team for a Lions series IMO

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Reds are first Oz team to sweep NZ counterparts in 17 years of super rugby and arent even best team in Australia

Things might be looking up