• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
FMD it's like we've no game-plan. Why on earth do all our ****** backs insist on kicking the ball away at every available opportunity, especially high-balls when no ****er on our team can catch it.
Don't be disheartened mate. It was only one try to nil....

/thrillaminute

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How do Kiwi posters rate Israel Dagg compared with some of the great AB full backs of recent times?

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Well there's only been one great fullback in my time (Cullen) and Dagg's still a fair way below him imo. He is generally ****ing awesome under the high ball though. Fearless as they come. Just takes the wrong option too often for my liking at the moment.

ripper868

International Coach
Yeah it was - but we never looked like winning. Our D held for a majority but always looked like breaking eventually.

Though timani (who i don't rate) played well in the first 40 - might have finally realised he is 125 kegs and big and hard to tackle because of it and can hit people because of it. Hopefully he continues in this trend. Otherwise I thought Hooper did ok and we kicked the ball far too often and too aimlessly and straight to the most dangerous men on the park (read Dagg).

Needs serious improvement.

Great for the Argies to get the draw, and if not for the charge down what might have been a famous victory. Love the passion they bring when playing at home, it's fantastic.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I thought it was a case of both sides performing better than in Sydney, but the Wallabies' inability to cope with the added intensity the ABs brought to the game after halftime the key. I actually didn't think their gameplan was too bad for the first half - trailing by 9 points at halftime against the ABs is hardly ideal but not insurmountable. I also think looking at it in some context might help - this AB side, whilst not at its absolute best, is of such a high quality that playing without three of your best five or six players leaves you so vulnerable. I think the criticism's a bit unwarranted actually. This is, after all, essentially the same squad who beat Wales 3-0 a couple of months ago.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Well there's only been one great fullback in my time (Cullen) and Dagg's still a fair way below him imo. He is generally ****ing awesome under the high ball though. Fearless as they come. Just takes the wrong option too often for my liking at the moment.
Cullen > Dagg > Muliana, in my view. I agree that Dagg has a tendency to make a few wrong options though generally they're positive mistakes. Still has so much time on his side that I'd love to reassess the comparision in a few years time. After all, he's only just cemented the fullback spot in the national side.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Its because you picked Berrick Barnes at 2nd Five Eighth - he is a wonderful 1st 5 and far better than Quade and I would say in the top 5 in the world. But honestly out of all the 12s in world rugby who played in the world cup he is the worst - I would pick the russian 12 ahead of Berrick. Barnes at inside centre kicks 2/3 of the possession away.

He is garbage in that position and always has been. They keep picking him just because of his reputation.

If I was playing against New Zealand I would
a) Kick the ball for territory inside my own 40
b) Run the ball at every other opportunity
c) Play Barnes at 1st 5.
d) Put Someone attacking like JOC at 12. OR any one of a number of different options.
e) Drop Robbie Deans as coach because he is average. Deans would do well coaching the All Blacks but so would my grandmother (god rest her soul) - to beat the ABs you need a game plan. The Irish had a game plan in the 2nd test why can't Aussie. Deans seems devoid of ideas.
f) Meet with the referee before the game and clarify how he will be calling the game - and pray to god that you actually get fair calls because Aussie got ripped off tonight (Keiran Read blatently offside twice during the game but securing vital turnovers instead).
Australia don't really have an attacking alternative to JOC to play at 12, unless Deans selects Ioane out of position. Essentially all of the other options have a more defensive mentality - Fainga'a, Horne, Barnes, McCabe, etc.

Barnes had a horrific match at 12 but I don't placing him at 10 is the better option - and isn't that counter intuitive to your point about an attacking 12? Australia played an attacking 10 and defensive 12 on the weekend, and you'd rather a defensive 10 and attacking 12 - whats the big difference?

They did actually employ a similar stategy to what you suggested by kicking for territory and attempting to run the ball once in a better field position, and their aggression on defence was also, for the most part, quite good. They just weren't good enough as a unit to come close to winning the match. Which I still don't believe was a fault of...

...Robbie Deans, who it seems even New Zealanders think should step down. I still believe calls for his resignation are over critical, and those detractors should at least wait until the matches against South Africa and Argentina. At the end of the day, theres only so much he can do with the squad he possesses.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Argentina should beat Aussie in Argentina imo. As long as they don't try to play rugby that'll suit the Wallabies.
Remember saying something similar before the tournament started and the result on the weekend makes me even more confident in that prediction. They should count themselves a little unlucky not to win the match really.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Australia don't really have an attacking alternative to JOC to play at 12, unless Deans selects Ioane out of position. Essentially all of the other options have a more defensive mentality - Fainga'a, Horne, Barnes, McCabe, etc.

Barnes had a horrific match at 12 but I don't placing him at 10 is the better option - and isn't that counter intuitive to your point about an attacking 12? Australia played an attacking 10 and defensive 12 on the weekend, and you'd rather a defensive 10 and attacking 12 - whats the big difference?

They did actually employ a similar stategy to what you suggested by kicking for territory and attempting to run the ball once in a better field position, and their aggression on defence was also, for the most part, quite good. They just weren't good enough as a unit to come close to winning the match. Which I still don't believe was a fault of...

...Robbie Deans, who it seems even New Zealanders think should step down. I still believe calls for his resignation are over critical, and those detractors should at least wait until the matches against South Africa and Argentina. At the end of the day, theres only so much he can do with the squad he possesses.
Love the discussions we have here...

"Australia played an attacking 10 and defensive 12 on the weekend, and you'd rather a defensive 10 and attacking 12 - whats the big difference?"

Massive difference - its a 10s job to decide whether to run or kick in any situation. In the situations where cooper wanted the backline to run it - Barnes overuled him and kicked away possession.

A 12 should be running it most of the time he gets it or passing it along the backline.

A defensive 12 just over rules the 10's calls effectively.

ripper868

International Coach
yes but putting Barnes at 10 just negates the entire backline - at least with Cooper at 10 he has the option to cut Barnes out of the play before he has the chance to kick it away.