Cricket Player Manager
Page 162 of 262 FirstFirst ... 62112152160161162163164172212 ... LastLast
Results 2,416 to 2,430 of 3923
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Official Rugby Thread

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    Much better effort from England this week, at least they're giving their backline the opportunity to run with the ball - and funnily enough, they've managed two tries to Australia's one. Very good call re. Youngs from BB - he looks enterprising. Still would be a bit concerned at some of the basic errors and aimless kicking away of the ball from the English, Flood doesn't really give me a lot of confidence TBH. Relatively few scrums which has been preferable for the benefit of running rugby and indeed for Australia's inexperienced front row.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, oozes potential. When they have their first choice front row fit I think the Wallabies might just challenge for the WC.
    I'm certainly not writing them off though don't hold them in quite the same class as South Africa and New Zealand, even at full strength. In saying that, theres undeniably plenty of talent within their backline (although I'd probably start Ashley-Cooper and have a 10-12 of Giteau-Barnes) and their forward pack at full strength (with Moore, Alexander, Robinson, etc.) should be able to hold its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Good points Somerset. A minor point I have in my defence is that I made my post when the score was 25-9 and Wales had yet to capitulate completely. I can't figure out why we played so well in those final 20 minutes. We were ruthless and clinical.

A random thought I have is - that back in the day when I grew up - you always kicked for touch when you were on defence. These days you keep the ball in play and just hack it as far as you can down the field. On one of those clearances they kicked it to Jane who passed it to Kahui and he ran in a try. That try would never have happened in the 1980s becuase the ball would have been in touch. I was overseas for 15 years and not watching rugby so I am still making my mind up about some of the new trends in rugby.
    I think one of the reasons we dominated in the last 20 minutes was the absense of Stephen Jones, who although had quiet patches would've at least driven the Welsh side downtown rather than play the ball in their own half for most of the last 20 minutes. That and the strange lack of fitness and high missed tackle rate for the Welsh - I'm guessing were they like that against South Africa two weeks ago too when they blew a sizeable early lead?

Even 10 years ago you were able to kick the ball to touch after passing it back into your 22 (can't remember the exact change in the law) so you've a valid point regarding the amount of kicking. I think rugby as a spectacle has definitely benefitted from the ELVs, adjustment to the rules, and the new law interpretations this season to speed the game up and encourage attacking play rather than turn to kicking the ball at the first instance (someone might want to emphasise that to England though). Carter's second try proves your point too - a 95 metre effort.

Giteau 20
    England 15

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Close game.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

O connor actually looks good for Australia now. He used to be attrocious last year. Good for him.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Youngs off for Care.

"Interesting" decision.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Giteau has kicked liked crap this game.

Ha, **** me. Who'da thunk it?

Haha, well well. Even "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" starting up with a minute to go. I don't think England played out of their skins either, strange performance from Australia it must be said. Shocking miss from Giteau too, not the first time hes missed a kick that would've effectively won Australia the game (Australia's loss to Scotland last year comes to mind).

Quote Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
    Haha, well well. Even "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" starting up with a minute to go. I don't think England played out of their skins either, strange performance from Australia it must be said. Shocking miss from Giteau too, not the first time hes missed a kick that would've effectively won Australia the game (Australia's loss to Scotland last year comes to mind).
    Was my first thought too. Mind you if we hadn't got over the line I'd have been less sanguine about Jonny's shank as well.

Only our 3rd ever win in Oz, ftr.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    O connor actually looks good for Australia now. He used to be attrocious last year. Good for him.
    From what I've seen hes still a bit inconsistent for my liking which is why I've tended to prefer Ashley-Cooper to him, though hes got immense talent for a young player - adding goal kicking to his repertoire certainly hasn't hurt him either.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Ha, **** me. Who'da thunk it?
    Anyone that has seen Giteau kick for the last 18 months would've put money on it

Only being selected on reputation and should never be allowed near a kick at goal again for the Wallabies

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Anyone that has seen Giteau kick for the last 18 months would've put money on it

Only being selected on reputation and should never be allowed near a kick at goal again for the Wallabies
    Meant more who'd have thought we might win rather than Giteau would miss, but agree re his kicking. Crumbles under pressure.

Scored a couple of decent tries in fairness to him.

England win. Maybe they could cause an upset or two at the world cup. Could be a good tournament next year.

Wish some of the lesser teams at the world cup would join forces to make stronger teams. Like US and Canada - and some of the pacific island teams Fiji and Tonga etc I heard that the island nations did once join forces for a tour of New Zealand but they had mixed results. This was some years ago.

I guess it makes for a more rich tournament to have individual countries competing however. Hope that Argentina does well again. Can't wait for it.

Go Canada.

Pool A
    New Zealand
    France
    Tonga
    Canada
    Japan

Pool B
    Argentina
    England
    Scotland
    Georgia