• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Word is Pocock is out as well with knee damage - huge loss.
Get to see hooper this way :)

I came here to make a post about Argentina. I was looking forward to seeing them compete - now I am not so excited. They just play such unattractive rugby. 10 man kicking rugby.

I do hope we rub off on them - although SA have never changed their methods I must say - so they havn't been influenced.

Spark

Global Moderator
[facile-post]

I've always found it kind of amusing that SA's playmaker is called Morne Steyn tbh.

[/facile-post]

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Realise I'm a bit late to the party - in fact its pretty much already finished - but a few comments on the Rugby Championship matches this weekend...thought that the Aus vs New Zealand match was one of the poorest Bledisloe Cup matches I've ever watched. Over zealous refereeing didn't help, but the biggest concern for both sides were the error rates. I realise Kurtley Beale hasn't played for a few weeks since the Waratahs bombed out of Super Rugby before the play offs, but I can't remember an international fullback playing poorer. Pocock was taken care of, Genia surprisingly quiet by his standards, and without the x-factor of O'Connor and Cooper Australia looked like a mid-table Super Rugby side. Actually, come to think of it they were filled with Waratahs after all. Digby Ioane and Nathan Sharpe the only players to really impress me.

Despite the aweful Wallabies performance, to think that they were still within 7 points as the siren sounded says something about the rusty All Black effort. Israel Dagg aside, plenty to work on. I thought Mealamu and Romano were the pick of the forwards, and it was particularly pleasing to see the line-up working so well despite so little locking experience. No need for Ali Williams to return to the side as far as I'm concerned. What is a little concerning is that Hosea Gear is turning into New Zealand rugby's Mark Ramprakash.

I only caught the game in Cape Town on replay yesterday, and thought South Africa were very strong. Losing Bismark early, and not having JP Pietersen, Burger, Brussouw, etc. might've left them vulnerable but it was anything but that. I think a better judge of Argentina's competitiveness will come from their efforts at home so this weekend's match should be a closer encounter. I do fear for them on their Australia and New Zealand tour though.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Get to see hooper this way :)

I came here to make a post about Argentina. I was looking forward to seeing them compete - now I am not so excited. They just play such unattractive rugby. 10 man kicking rugby.

I do hope we rub off on them - although SA have never changed their methods I must say - so they havn't been influenced.
To be fair, Argentina have actually performed best with that approach. They essentially adopted the same gameplay as England in the 2007 World Cup by playing a 10 man game, and it obviously served them extremely well. Wasn't too dissimilar during the 2011 World Cup. I can't see them changing things up much - they've got far too many players in their 30s to play an expansive type of game.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Wallabies beaten and beaten well, Hopefully next week is a better game, can see the Ab's running 40 past us if they click. Word is Pocock is out as well with knee damage - huge loss.
Horrible news for Australia especially with Horwill already out. I'm a fan of Hooper (as well as Gill) so its a good opportunity for the next lot of Wallaby opensides, but a real shame that the remainder of the tournament's going to be played without one of the stars of the modern game.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
My hatred for Aaron Smith dissapated in the 2nd half when he started doing his job and doing it well.

Badly wanted Hooper to get on the field.

Pathetic handling by the Wallabies.
I thought Aaron Smith did a really good job during the Irish series too, so good to see you're coming around to liking him. Had to laugh at the decision to substitute him for Weepu with literally 20 seconds remaining in the match though.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Wallabies are a horrible outfit

Cant blame him for everything but they have gone nowhere under Deans
Is Deans really to blame? Who else should he be selecting and would a new coach be any better? Horwill/O'Connor/Cooper are world-class and unavailable, and I don't really think the next tier of Wallabies are going to perform any better. It also hardly helps when so-called professional players are dropping easy passes, making dumb mistakes and dumb choices (the quick taps for instance) against the best team in the world.

Spark

Global Moderator
Realise I'm a bit late to the party - in fact its pretty much already finished - but a few comments on the Rugby Championship matches this weekend...thought that the Aus vs New Zealand match was one of the poorest Bledisloe Cup matches I've ever watched. Over zealous refereeing didn't help, but the biggest concern for both sides were the error rates. I realise Kurtley Beale hasn't played for a few weeks since the Waratahs bombed out of Super Rugby before the play offs, but I can't remember an international fullback playing poorer. Pocock was taken care of, Genia surprisingly quiet by his standards, and without the x-factor of O'Connor and Cooper Australia looked like a mid-table Super Rugby side. Actually, come to think of it they were filled with Waratahs after all. Digby Ioane and Nathan Sharpe the only players to really impress me.
Is Deans really to blame? Who else should he be selecting and would a new coach be any better?
Think you might have spotted the issue there :ph34r:

ripper868

International Coach
Is Deans really to blame? Who else should he be selecting and would a new coach be any better? Horwill/O'Connor/Cooper are world-class and unavailable, and I don't really think the next tier of Wallabies are going to perform any better. It also hardly helps when so-called professional players are dropping easy passes, making dumb mistakes and dumb choices (the quick taps for instance) against the best team in the world.
He could probably start by picking the best players in the best positions, rather than picking the best players and then finding them a position.

A backline looking like:
9.Genia
10.Cooper (who is available and has been playing club rugby for 3 weeks)
11. Ioane
12. Barnes
13 .AAC
14. Shipperley/Mitchell/Almost any other but make it a WINGER
15. Beale

Makes me feel much better than having McCabe/Horne in midfield. While Great defensively, they offer little in attack. Would be happy with Ant Finger at 13 as well when playing outside cooper with AAC at 15.

ripper868

International Coach
Clyde Rathbone has signed with the Brumbies for 2013. He was my favourite player from 05-08 when he was fit. Hopefully he still has some pace in those legs, a great story after beating his depression.

Pushing for him to replace Horne for this weekend tbh.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Felt he was so unlucky to have had so many injury problems during his career, and then his announcement about his depression made me even more sympathetic towards him. Such an exciting player when at his best so thats great news to see him return.

Spark

Global Moderator
Two tries saved on the line, decent effort thus far.

Cooper's not having the best game. Given away the ball to little effect far too often.

EDIT: Great passage of play there, anarchic stuff. Great hit on SBW too

Last edited:

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can't be too upset with that half, apart from the fact that Cooper & Barnes kept on kicking the ****ing ball away in good positions.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Clyde Rathbone has signed with the Brumbies for 2013. He was my favourite player from 05-08 when he was fit. Hopefully he still has some pace in those legs, a great story after beating his depression.

Pushing for him to replace Horne for this weekend tbh.
Scored a hat-trick versus us on debut, if memory serves. Depressed me no end at the time.

Didn't he have a bum knee or something tho?

Dagg over as I type; super retention from the ABs.

Johnners

FMD it's like we've no game-plan. Why on earth do all our ****** backs insist on kicking the ball away at every available opportunity, especially high-balls when no ****er on our team can catch it.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Its because you picked Berrick Barnes at 2nd Five Eighth - he is a wonderful 1st 5 and far better than Quade and I would say in the top 5 in the world. But honestly out of all the 12s in world rugby who played in the world cup he is the worst - I would pick the russian 12 ahead of Berrick. Barnes at inside centre kicks 2/3 of the possession away.

He is garbage in that position and always has been. They keep picking him just because of his reputation.

If I was playing against New Zealand I would
a) Kick the ball for territory inside my own 40
b) Run the ball at every other opportunity
c) Play Barnes at 1st 5.
d) Put Someone attacking like JOC at 12. OR any one of a number of different options.
e) Drop Robbie Deans as coach because he is average. Deans would do well coaching the All Blacks but so would my grandmother (god rest her soul) - to beat the ABs you need a game plan. The Irish had a game plan in the 2nd test why can't Aussie. Deans seems devoid of ideas.
f) Meet with the referee before the game and clarify how he will be calling the game - and pray to god that you actually get fair calls because Aussie got ripped off tonight (Keiran Read blatently offside twice during the game but securing vital turnovers instead).

Spark

Global Moderator
FMD it's like we've no game-plan. Why on earth do all our ****** backs insist on kicking the ball away at every available opportunity, especially high-balls when no ****er on our team can catch it.
Yeah after about the 5th time I gave up

HeathDavisSpeed

d) Put Someone attacking like JOC at 12. OR any one of a number of different options.
e) Drop Robbie Deans as coach because he is average. Deans would do well coaching the All Blacks but so would my grandmother (god rest her soul) - to beat the ABs you need a game plan. The Irish had a game plan in the 2nd test why can't Aussie. Deans seems devoid of ideas.
You can't play guys who are injured.

Secondly, Deans clearly had a game plan - and it worked well for the first half an hour. That game plan, funnily enough, seemed to be for the ball to be held in tight and try and tire out the All Blacks forwards with tackles and contact. That doesn't seem incompatible with their other game plan, which Quade Cooper alluded to in the post-match which was to kick the ball for territory whenever it came to the backs in their own half. As long as they exercised these tactics at the right time, it was a reasonable plan. However, the All Blacks kept them pinned back in their own half for most of the game and thus it seemed they went to the boot a disproportionate amount of the time. I just think they were outplayed, but the All Blacks finishing was poor and the Wobblies' goal line defence was actually pretty bloody good.