• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is an abortion of a sport. Fine day, dry track, full house and both sides taking penalty shots everywhere.

I'll wait for the one decent test of the winter followed by the inevitable "game they play in heaven" bull**** which follows.

OMG a try!!!!

Guys!!!!!

A ****ing try.

Abysmal.
Must've been refreshing for you to see a backline movement

Isnt creativity in league defined as 5 one out runs followed by a kick?

Spark

Global Moderator
Feel for Wales. No way do they deserve to have gone down 3-0

Lucky today. Execution was terrible

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Must happen in nine out of ten matches then
yeah in the 80s every game was like this. Haven't seen too many recent games like this.

Most of the games I saw growing up had no tries in them. And would be 21-18 in penalties.

Teams just played for territory and waited for the whistle to blow. australia were smart and figured out it was going to be one of those games. While Wales never cottoned on.

Crap game. yes.

Also Warburton is hardly ever on the field when I watch. Either sent off or injured.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah I definitely don't remember it being like this when I started watching rugby as a kid. Have "fond" memories of some very fluid, open Bled Cup Tests back in the late 90s/early 00s

fond being in inverted commas because we mostly lost :/

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Also when are teams finally going to stop the practice of passing the ball to forwards in the middle of the back line on 3rd and 4th phase ball. Forwards should GTFO of the way and let the backs run some moves. As soon as a tight five catches it he just rumbles it straight forward and sets up a ruck.

I love forwards - but that part of the game needs drastic attention.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Must've been refreshing for you to see a backline movement

Isnt creativity in league defined as 5 one out runs followed by a kick?
No it isn't. If rugby is such an attacking, creative sport, why do dolts like you who play and follow it opt to take a shot at goal when you get a penalty anywhere in the attacking half
Spare me the idea rugby is creative. What a joke. "Backline move"? You mean two passes wide to a centre running straight.

I await your justification for your superior POV on the basis you once met Ken Catchpole at half time at the Camel Cup in Dubai when he was on his way to Oxford.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Also when are teams finally going to stop the practice of passing the ball to forwards in the middle of the back line on 3rd and 4th phase ball. Forwards should GTFO of the way and let the backs run some moves. As soon as a tight five catches it he just rumbles it straight forward and sets up a ruck.

I love forwards - but that part of the game needs drastic attention.
Social calls that "a creative Backline move".

Mostly because he's odious, tbf.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No it isn't. If rugby is such an attacking, creative sport, why do dolts like you who play and follow it opt to take a shot at goal when you get a penalty anywhere in the attacking half
Spare me the idea rugby is creative. What a joke. "Backline move"? You mean two passes wide to a centre running straight.

I await your justification for your superior POV on the basis you once met Ken Catchpole at half time at the Camel Cup in Dubai when he was on his way to Oxford.
They take a kick at goal because they get 3 points for it

If league is so creative then why is virtually every set completed by a kick?

Btw, if you dont like rugby, then why watch it?

You should simply stick to 5 one outs and a kick if that is what turns you on

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
An absolute belting, 60-0...sensational from the ABs and a rather limp effort from Ireland after the ABs put four tries on them in the first 20 minutes. Incredible to think that the ABs side included two debutants, two with 1 test match and another with 2 tests so it was hardly the best 22 on paper.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
ABs are going to win this in a canter. We are tackling to hurt and owning the rucks.
And that was the game. ABs intensity at a level I haven't seen in a while.

Really Ireland are not that far behind the ABs at rugby. 60-0 shouldn't really be happening.

Ireland were not crap in that game. But that is how their performance tonight will be written up.

If I try to rationalize this - all I can say is that the ABs have more players with X factor.

I didn't think Ireland would win when I heard about their injuries but I didn't expect this - which was really a thrashing.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
And that was the game. ABs intensity at a level I haven't seen in a while.

Really Ireland are not that far behind the ABs at rugby. 60-0 shouldn't really be happening.

Ireland were not crap in that game. But that is how their performance tonight will be written up.

If I try to rationalize this - all I can say is that the ABs have more players with X factor.

I didn't think Ireland would win when I heard about their injuries but I didn't expect this - which was really a thrashing.
I think most of Ireland's problem was their inability to chase the game. Like the first test and the match in New Plymouth two years ago, once they get behind they seemingly have no idea how to catch up. It doesn't help having no x-factor to use from the bench. Ronan O'Gara might be good to close a tight game out but hes next to useless when chasing. Perhaps the loss of Heaslip was more significant than first thought.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I didn't get home in time to watch the afternoon Australia vs Wales match but the ref was meant to be Joubert, who I rate very highly - was he that bad?
He was the opposite of the ref in the AB game. Was just very whistle happy. In the last 20 minutes he got it right and we actually saw some rugby.

I can't really comment if they penalties were justified as what do I really know. All I know is that there were a ton of penalties and the game couldn't get going.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
McCaw at #8? Huh.

These reditions of "Ireland's Call" are borderline offensive, btw. Crappy lift muzak versions.
FTR, McCaw's played at number 8 for the Crusaders and Canterbury when Read's off the field and George Whitelock and Matt Todd are playing 6 and 7, so its not an altogether unfamiliar position for him.

Sam Cane at openside was magnificent anyway and with McCaw at 8 basically playing a hybrid 7/8 role it worked brilliantly.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I think most of Ireland's problem was their inability to chase the game. Like the first test and the match in New Plymouth two years ago, once they get behind they seemingly have no idea how to catch up. It doesn't help having no x-factor to use from the bench. Ronan O'Gara might be good to close a tight game out but hes next to useless when chasing. Perhaps the loss of Heaslip was more significant than first thought.
I think Heaslip's loss was significant. Ireland needed to have their best players.

Maybe the ABs knew that Ireland needed a good start - and they just came out in the 1st 20 minutes and played their very best.

We were missing players too though. Dan Carter, as good as our 10s went, is a marked step up from Cruden.

SBW finally played well.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
He was the opposite of the ref in the AB game. Was just very whistle happy. In the last 20 minutes he got it right and we actually saw some rugby.

I can't really comment if they penalties were justified as what do I really know. All I know is that there were a ton of penalties and the game couldn't get going.
Bit unusual for Joubert who usually lets it flow nicely. I'll catch the replay in the next couple of days and put myself through what sounds like a pretty average match.

Romain Poite controlled the match nicely tonight. I thought the yellow card to Kearney might've been a bit harsh but it was a clearly penalisable offence and it prevented a near certain try so I don't think it was that unjustified. Allowed a good breakdown contest too.