• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Also I have memories of Toeava having hands of clay in the centres. So I don't trust him. That said as someone else posted here - he is a Henry favourite and is likely to get picked because of that alone.
Yup, the "special project" as he was named by the Henry coaching panel. Although I will point out that he was also the Blues' best player in Super 15 and has performed quite well in test rugby in his most recent performances on the end of year tour in 2010. Plus hes a favourite of mine so should definitely be picked. :happy:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
After watching the 1st half I think Colin Slade had a strong 1st 10 minutes and then lost it after that. He persisted with little chip kicks and turned over possession on a frequent basis,
I can see why Whitelock and Thomson upset James - they gave away some inexperienced penalties.

Toeava in the 1st half attempted a little grubber kick that was charged down and it resulted in pressure against the ABs. I can't really stand wingers who try grubber kicks Zac does it as well. Nonu played one hideous game where he did them as well.

I want the man from Upper Hutt selected before Toeava - not because I am from upper hutt - just because he is a better all round package.

I must say that the Springboks defence is just super - I don't know how the Aussies managed to beat them - they must have been very rusty last week.

ripper868

International Coach
Didn't watch the game but NZ are still raging favorites for the cup, it's already in the bag, put it on the front pages of every NZ Paper, The William Webb Ellis should be measured up immediately for a place in the NZ trophy cabinet - No team will beat them in New Zealand. None. Ever. Especially in a World Cup - nobody beats the All Blacks at a world cup.

At least the result last night adds a 'decider' feel to next week at suncorp - I'll be there, should be a cracking game - hopefully Carter, McCaw et al are picked for the AB's - likewise for the Wallabies with Genia, Horwill (loving his appointment as captain) Cooper etc all playing.

Word is JOC will be dropped for this match after failing to turn up to the World Cup squad announcement - slept in it seems. I guess that'lll mean it'll be Turner into the run-on :dry:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I believe we should rest Carter and play our back up 1st 5 - if it is Weepu I think it will be his first game there and if it is Slade he could definitely use another game to redeem himself.

Bring Carter on for the last 20 minutes.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Well done South Africa, but boy did that game show that if we lose one of Carter or McCaw we really are completely stuffed.

Slade was absolute rubbish, don't think he did a single thing right all night and hope he doesn't make it anywhere near the 30 man squad. Messam, Whitelock and especially Thomson were also very poor.

A plus point was our back three looked dangerous all night but didn't convert any chances however.

One very worried All Blacks fan here.
That’s the thing which is most disheartening from a South African perspective is that despite winning it was the All Blacks who created and botched more than 5 try scoring opportunities while the Boks had and created nothing.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
That’s the thing which is most disheartening from a South African perspective is that despite winning it was the All Blacks who created and botched more than 5 try scoring opportunities while the Boks had and created nothing.
And I think thats why there hasn't been as great a negative reaction to the loss in New Zealand, since most fans of the game realise that the ABs actually looked pretty good despite losing, particular being without half of our full strength side. Who knows what would've happened had Fourie not saved two tries in the first 10 minutes, and Cowan's been properly awarded (interested to hear what you have to say on that ruling TT Boy).

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
And I think thats why there hasn't been as great a negative reaction to the loss in New Zealand, since most fans of the game realise that the ABs actually looked pretty good despite losing, particular being without half of our full strength side. Who knows what would've happened had Fourie not saved two tries in the first 10 minutes, and Cowan's been properly awarded (interested to hear what you have to say on that ruling TT Boy).
Seems strange to bag the TMO as the correct decision was made but from my limited knowledge of the game, he shouldn’t be doing that and it sets a precedent which probably won’t be consistently followed.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Defence of both teams have been rather good really. Fingers crossed they play at this same intensity for the remaining 50 minutes.

EDIT: SAMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a try

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
facepalm.co.nz

Guildford is not ready for this level. Wobblies have owned this game, and injured our preferred back row combo in the process.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Completely dominated by the Wallabies, they look so much more hungrier, well organised and determined than the ABs. Guildford and Thomson were particularly poor - Sivivatu, Gear and Messam must be questioning their non-inclusions about now. Hope the Read injury isn't too serious. Bit of a worry that big players rested for last weekend like Carter, McCaw and Thorn have been poor so far. Also begs the question why our best player last weekend, Israel Dagg, isn't even in the 22.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
facepalm.co.nz

Guildford is not ready for this level. Wobblies have owned this game, and injured our preferred back row combo in the process.
Please say that to Somers - I have been campaigning against Guildford for a while. Unsecure under the high ball and poor hands. Even in the warm up he couldn't hold on to the catches that Jane was giving to him.

Should have been Gear in for him. Who is our back up 11 - I guess Toeava will come in.

And I hope the injury to Read is not serious. Thomson is also in my doghouse for that missed tackle and a knock on before that.

Not sure what to make of Vito...

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Completely dominated by the Wallabies, they look so much more hungrier, well organised and determined than the ABs. Guildford and Thomson were particularly poor - Sivivatu, Gear and Messam must be questioning their non-inclusions about now. Hope the Read injury isn't too serious. Bit of a worry that big players rested for last weekend like Carter, McCaw and Thorn have been poor so far. Also begs the question why our best player last weekend, Israel Dagg, isn't even in the 22.
Good assessment I was concerned you were going to defend them.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Please say that to Somers - I have been campaigning against Guildford for a while. Unsecure under the high ball and poor hands. Even in the warm up he couldn't hold on to the catches that Jane was giving to him.

Should have been Gear in for him. Who is our back up 11 - I guess Toeava will come in.

And I hope the injury to Read is not serious. Thomson is also in my doghouse for that missed tackle and a knock on before that.

Not sure what to make of Vito...
I never thought Guildford should've made it, as I'd always thought that Sivivatu should be in the best XV, let alone the 30 man squad. Toeava's the reserve wing for this match, but as I say, strange that Dagg was left out completely. Vito's been pretty unconvincing - he reminds me of Pierre Spies, i.e. brilliant against weak sides when his team has momentum, but average under pressure.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think that's the worst half I've seen NZ play. Dreadful.

Australia have been excellent, though.