• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

ripper868

International Coach
Volteh:

Fitting the situation...was tempted to make it a parmi but given tonight, you can have the man who gave us the victory :D

ripper868

International Coach
Hahah! Go the wallabies. God I hope they beat the All Blacks at the World Cup next year.

Problem with that is if you get your timing a bit wrong its straight to the bin (and quite right too).
That and the bloke who's confidence they rocked was english. Eveyone from Southern hemisphere made of sturner stuff

/southernhemispherebonding

ripper868

International Coach
It is donald after all.

Great match though it seemed that both teams never hit their peak at the same time...Australia dominating the first 20, the AB's the next 40, bit of middling in the next 19 and then the wallabies owning the final 1.

Pity it wasn't the World Cup final.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
I tuned off before the presentations - you mean to say there was a trophy in addition to the Bledisloe Cup on the line for the winner of tonight's match? I guess good on DHL for getting their name out there on an endorsement but personally I find that a Cup within a Cup sounds a bit odd (Ranfurly Shield's a bit different given how its structured).
Think of it this way: In the AFL they give a trophy to the team who wins the most home and away games. In other words, they give a trophy to the team that finished on top of the ladder.

But then they give a trophy to the team that actually wins the Grand Final. It's like a trophy within a trophy.

What Australia did was the equivalent of winning the Grand Final trophy of the AFL.

lachlan43

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Think of it this way: In the AFL they give a trophy to the team who wins the most home and away games. In other words, they give a trophy to the team that finished on top of the ladder.

But then they give a trophy to the team that actually wins the Grand Final. It's like a trophy within a trophy.

What Australia did was the equivalent of winning the Grand Final trophy of the AFL.
Except that none of the fans cared about the prize on offer. :laugh:

ripper868

International Coach

You mean a Minor Premiership?

Australia won a marketing puff piece...that is all.

Good to see the crowd for the Wallabies vs NZ in Hong Kong was larger than the crowd at Aus vs England in melbourne...score one to the good guys.

ripper868

International Coach
Volty, for you, coutesy of Green and Gold Rugby:

There was movement on the sidelines, for the word had got around
Replacement fly-half Stephen Donald was soon to take the ground

The game was all-but over, the Darkness held the lead
The Wallabies were clearly shagged, it was time to about concede.

The Men-in-Gold were down by 12 and it had all been seen before
Sookface had just come on, as Gits was shown the door.

But just when all seemed hopeless and the only outcome was defeat
The Man from Waiuku River rose ungainly to his feet.

His warm-up on the sideline was something of a farce
He’s not very good at kicking, and he can hardly ****ing pass

When Smug Ted dragged Dan Carter, ‘cause his ankle was near shot
The look on Richie’s face said “Ol’ Ted’s lost the ****ing plot”

For DC on one leg is a better bet than Waiuku River’s two
Anyone who’d seen him butcher things for Mooloo, knew what he would do

So the Man from Waiuku River did stumble on into the line
And it was only seconds later, the sun began to shine

Gilbert ran the Gilbert with style, poise and grace
He timed a sweet ball to Shmoo, who had far too much pace

It was 24-19 as the conversion sailed over from near the 3rd row
Rocky gathered the boys’ round “With Donald on lads, we’ve got a ****ing show!”

On the Man from Waiuku River did bungle, not stopping to draw breath
He even had a chance at a penalty goal to win it at the death.

But for those who know him best, it was always going to shank
He’s just so God-damn gawky; he’s like a ****ing plank.

But still our Man kept plodding, he wasn’t done with yet
There was still one more balls-up, as bad as it could get

For the Man from Waiuku River, again had the ball in his hands
And to win the game he had to only kick it to the stands

But alas he stuffed the kick and downfield the ball did soar
You could almost hear JOC shout “**** me dead, I reckon I’m gonna score!”

And so he did just that, young JOC was now the hero
On the other side The Man from Waiuku River, a freshly minted zero

The Wallabies went wild, and the crowd they pissed it up
“Stick the 10 straight up your arse”, they screamed – they even won a Cup

And down by Waiuku Riverside, where the youngsters dream of greatness
They should remember their Stephen Donald, is completely ****ing hopeless

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A good result in Honkers, but it has to be said Quade Cooper is a turnstyle in defence.

It also has to be said that the way the commentators went on after the Wallabies won was a disgrace. An absolute embarrasment. "Bring on the World Cup" they're screaming, as Australia score after the siren in a dead rubber on neutral territory to win for the first time in eleven games vs NZ, in a match where neither side had played any footy for six weeks.

It was disgraceful.

ripper868

International Coach
Yeah and nah.

I'd be pretty happy too if I'd just broken a 10 game losing streak against the best in the world. (assuming this was the fox feed). I may think they are dickheads at times but it's refreshing to have blokes who give a stuff about the result in the box, and not just turning out cliche after cliche.

That Said, Coopers beahvior toward McCaw was ****. Kid needs a good clip round the ears.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Always liked the Australian commentators. Sure they can be biased but we're hardly any better, and the Aussie comms. are more interesting.

Have I just betrayed my country?:ph34r:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Always liked the Australian commentators. Sure they can be biased but we're hardly any better, and the Aussie comms. are more interesting.

Have I just betrayed my country?:ph34r:
In terms of entertainment and passion in commentary thats actually seems genuine (Justin Marshall's excitement seems too fake to really enjoy) the Australian commentary team is easily the best IMO. I do like Tony Johnson but prefer him as a sideline commentator than the main role like he had in Hong Kong, but otherwise I'd probably listen to the Australian team if I had a choice.

ripper868

International Coach
Throwing the avatar out there for the weekend.

Southern hemisphere vs Northern hemisphere - I'll say Southern to take a 3-0 clean sweep...if it doesn't happen you get my avatar, if it does i get yours...one week

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Throwing the avatar out there for the weekend.

Southern hemisphere vs Northern hemisphere - I'll say Southern to take a 3-0 clean sweep...if it doesn't happen you get my avatar, if it does i get yours...one week
I'll be in that; fancy the Micks to turn the yarps over as it goes.

ripper868

International Coach
And boosted by the return of BOD as well. Should be a good game.

Looking forward to see how the Welsh and English go against the running styles of the Wobblies and AB's.

Wondering if the tactics from England will be to knock on at every opportunity to force a scrum.

ripper868

International Coach
I just noticed Dagg has signed with the Crusaders for next year and beyond (yes I'm a couple months late i know)...**** me the All Bla...sorry crusaders will be a massive force next year.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'll be in that; fancy the Micks to turn the yarps over as it goes.
Saffies will belt them - theyre better at the boring stuff and will bash the NH sides every day of the week and twice on Sundays

Only risk are the Wallabies who are likely to revert to type