• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Our inability to defend is quite freakish imo. Just asking for troubling backing off so much and letting Nonu et al run full tilt at 'em.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hanging on by the skin of our teeth here.

Fmd, how can a player give an interview as he runs off at half time? Wtf is that? You aren't out of breath and too ****ed to talk, you're a disgrace.

Johnners

May sound bitter, but reckon Kaplan's been crap. So inconsistent, couple of the forward passes he called, has let go exact same pass 2 minutes later.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Better back play the difference between the teams with the ABs finishing two nice plays. The Aussies didn't seem to want to compete at the breakdown to create turnovers on AB ball. Instead they tried not to commit too many men so that they could cover the AB running game. It seemed to shut down the ABs to a certain extent. Biel's try was certainly exciting with Carter in hot pursuit.

Good game. I think the difference between this week and last week was better forward play by Australia and also luck. The ABs got the rub of the green on a couple of tries last week and I thought things would even out a bit this week. Conrad Smith admitted to playing the ball on the ground to create a try from last week's game.

For Wallabies to win they need a game breaker in their back line. I didn't really follow the new Aussie number 12 too closely so don't have any comments on him.

Oh ABs won the battle of the breakdown. Creating multiple turnovers in the 2nd half.

social

Better back play the difference between the teams with the ABs finishing two nice plays. The Aussies didn't seem to want to compete at the breakdown to create turnovers on AB ball. Instead they tried not to commit too many men so that they could cover the AB running game. It seemed to shut down the ABs to a certain extent. Biel's try was certainly exciting with Carter in hot pursuit.

Good game. I think the difference between this week and last week was better forward play by Australia and also luck. The ABs got the rub of the green on a couple of tries last week and I thought things would even out a bit this week. Conrad Smith admitted to playing the ball on the ground to create a try from last week's game.

For Wallabies to win they need a game breaker in their back line. I didn't really follow the new Aussie number 12 too closely so don't have any comments on him.

Oh ABs won the battle of the breakdown. Creating multiple turnovers in the 2nd half.
Tbh, I thought Pocock had a massive game and was sensational at the breakdown but the usual suspects still dont protect the ball well enough

Biggest difference was the class/professionalism of the ABs (had very few opportunities but took most of them), their brilliant defence and the lack of creativity from the Oz backs
- throwing the ball from one side of the field to the other with minimal creativity just wont cut it

Oz desperately needs Cooper to inject some individual flair

Woodcock should've been at least a yellow - that was a Saffie cheap shot of the worst kind

Anyway, big improvement from last week and some hope for WC IMO

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Tbh, I thought Pocock had a massive game and was sensational at the breakdown but the usual suspects still dont protect the ball well enough

Biggest difference was the class/professionalism of the ABs (had very few opportunities but took most of them), their brilliant defence and the lack of creativity from the Oz backs
- throwing the ball from one side of the field to the other with minimal creativity just wont cut it

Oz desperately needs Cooper to inject some individual flair

Woodcock should've been at least a yellow - that was a Saffie cheap shot of the worst kind

Anyway, big improvement from last week and some hope for WC IMO
To be honest I'm struggling to disagree with any of those points. The crucial factor was the taking of opportunities, with two well taken tries to the All Blacks the difference to Beale's runaway effort. Though Woodcock would've been yellow carded (given the amount of sinbinnings during the Tri Nations and that the All Blacks were on a warning for cynical play at the time) and also agree that Pocock was sensational for the Wallabies yet again. Will be interesting to see the difference that Cooper adds - I wanted to at least see him in action against the All Blacks being forming too strong an opinion so hopefully that'll happen in the Sydney test.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Digby Ioane FTW - I think it was Ripper than mentioned that O'Connor would perhaps have a free license on the wing in much the way as Ioane, but I don't think thats been particularly successful and would prefer to see O'Connor in his more usual position at fullback (in saying that Beale's performance was solid enough and justified his selection at 15). Faingaa (at 12) was caught out in the line a few times though was generally sound - also seemed to suit the way Australia wanted to play the game with his ball running skills.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
May sound bitter, but reckon Kaplan's been crap. So inconsistent, couple of the forward passes he called, has let go exact same pass 2 minutes later.
Kaplan pretty much kept his whistle in his pocket and later on his cards. It was quite the hands off performance from him. That meant that both sides were allowed to get away with a lot more at the breakdown and were offside for most of the match, but as far as defensive tussles ago it was a pretty fast paced defensive tussle.

ripper868

International Coach
T Will be interesting to see the difference that Cooper adds - I wanted to at least see him in action against the All Blacks being forming too strong an opinion so hopefully that'll happen in the Sydney test.
Nah, reckon we'll rest him from the Sydney test now, unleash him on you at the WC :p

Digby Ioane FTW - I think it was Ripper than mentioned that O'Connor would perhaps have a free license on the wing in much the way as Ioane, but I don't think thats been particularly successful and would prefer to see O'Connor in his more usual position at fullback (in saying that Beale's performance was solid enough and justified his selection at 15). Faingaa (at 12) was caught out in the line a few times though was generally sound - also seemed to suit the way Australia wanted to play the game with his ball running skills.
yeah that was me, but clearly O'Connor is no Ioane. Diggers will be back for Super 15 kick off (or near enough). Agree with Beale, i'm not a fan of his but he did show some promise there and justified his spot.

EDIT: with Cooper coming back It'll likely mean A. Faingaa goes back to the bench seeing as Giteau is untouchable and is going to 'play a blinder' eventually...would prefer to have Cooper-Faingaa than Cooper-Giteau tbh...no reds Bias there...

Also think Davies could be a game breaker with his raw pace, easily the quickest man in Australian Rugby when his hammy's arent buggered.

Hoping Woodcock gets a few weeks at least, that was a low low shot that doesn't belong in the game.

Last edited:

JBH001

International Regular
My thoughts: that was an awesome game. Best test of the tri-nations thus far and a proper test match.

Outstanding defense by the AB's, no way around the rucks, or through Nonu/Smith, and outwide they get shepherded to the sideline (although Giteau's penchant for running sidewise doesn't help). Also, I thought Woodcock was damn lucky not to get a yellow, he deserved one.

Australia can take a lot out of this. Deans clearly still has the confidence of his players, although I think they will need to win at least one in South Africa to continue what they are trying to achieve - they really can't afford 3 successive losses when they resume their schedule in September. I also don't think they will beat the ABs in Sydney, and Deans continues to be out-coached by the 'three wise men'. Still, if they play like they did yesterday and adapt to the altitude then they might be able to come away with a win, but not two, I think. But they must win at least one over there.

I liked the look of Beale at FB and when Ioane returns I reckon O'Connor needs to go back on the bench. (It may even be worthwhile slotting Shepherd in at wing and moving O'Connor to the bench for the rest of the tri-nations.) That would be quite a potent back three for the Wallabies. AA Cooper needs to stay at centre, he and A Faingaa added some grunt and power in the centres that looked quite potent, at times, and were usually strong in defense. The front row definitely needs some work, Safu (?) is just **** and they need Alexander back to partner Robinson and S Faingaa (who had another awesome game and has surpassed as Moore as first choice hooker).

But Pocock was outstanding. That guy is a player and a half. They would be rooted without him, I reckon. Not all that impressed with Genia to be fair, some poor passing at crucial times, rarely chanced his arm, and takes too long at times to make decisions. Better to make a bad decision quickly in rugby, I think, and go with it, than to spend too much time over making the right decision. Also, it may be time to bench Giteau. For a player who has played so many test matches, his career is more about over-promise and under-delivery than anything else. A backs combination of Cooper-Faingaa-AAC would offer more, I think.

Last edited:

ripper868

International Coach
Hurts me to say it but I do agree about Genia, hasn't found the form he had when at the Reds, will likely return when Cooper is back in the 10 position as they know each others game back-to-front.. Agree about the Cooper-Faingaa-AAC combo as well, doesn't offer as many kicking options but definetly provides more grunt which is what we need...the days of two ball players is done IMO.

Somers, My Avatar awaits.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Ha. Green and Gold Rugby right up there with Keo as the biggest tin-foil conspiracy site in sports...

ripper868

International Coach
If Cooper goes to Eels, wallabies are proper ****ed for the WC...and the Reds will die yet another death.

ARU would want to up there offer and up it now!

EDIT: pretty piss-weak of Cooper if he does go considering how the Reds stood with him over the last 3 years.