• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Some of my random thoughts on the game.

I'd even go so far as to say this team represents our best chance of winning the WC since 95 but it is a whole year away and a lot can happen.
I think the ABs play at 100% of their abilities in the tri nations and in the world cup.

I think that SA - Australia and the rest of the world play at 120% of their abilities in the world cup. Opposition will be a lot sterner next year when the other countries finally bring their A game. And the problem is that the ABs will be expecting to beat them and won't motivate themselves properly for the game and will get taken by surprise.

ripper868

International Coach
Hey Volteh,

In the interests of Trans-Tasman rivalry, how about giving me a 11.5 point start for this weekend?...you get mine for 1.5 weeks if AB's win by 12 or more, I get yours for 1 week if Wobbles win (or lose by 11 or less) (inflating the odds ftw)

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Instead of the 11.5 point buffer, I'll bet that New Zealand will win, and no Queensland Reds player will score a point in the match...ball's in your court. ;)

ripper868

International Coach
Instead of the 11.5 point buffer, I'll bet that New Zealand will win, and no Queensland Reds player will score a point in the match...ball's in your court. ;)
So...your backing Will Genia not to score on a dodgy knee...and no Quade Cooper...With two front rowers, a lock and an Inside centre oon the bench, with A. Faainga might be lucky to see 5 minutes (unless played at 13)...

Consider it a deal :)

JBH001

International Regular
The Wobblies need to be more aggressive at the tackle, run through and near the rucks, and use kicks when in their own 22 to keep the ABs in their half of the field. I don't think the ball in hand philosophy all the time is going to work against an AB side more adept at contesting and winning possession. I wouldn't even mind seeing drop goals returning to the frame and the taking of any and all available points when on offer.

All that said, we might just see a massive hiding this week, and the resignation of Deans after this game.

ripper868

International Coach
The Wobblies need to be more aggressive at the tackle, run through and near the rucks, and use kicks when in their own 22 to keep the ABs in their half of the field. I don't think the ball in hand philosophy all the time is going to work against an AB side more adept at contesting and winning possession. I wouldn't even mind seeing drop goals returning to the frame and the taking of any and all available points when on offer.

All that said, we might just see a massive hiding this week, and the resignation of Deans after this game.
Think the sacking/resignation of Deans would be a piss poor decison this close to the WC...unless it was to install McKenzie as coach.

Given the weather prediction for saturday, i really hope we dont get done by 50 again...think either side will be lucky to reach 25 tbh

ripper868

International Coach
Wobblies team.

15. Kurtley Beale (NSW Waratahs)
14. James O’Connor (Western Force)
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Brumbies)
12. Anthony Faingaa (Queensland Reds)
11. Drew Mitchell (NSW Waratahs)
10. Matt Giteau (Brumbies)
9. Will Genia (Queensland Reds)
8. Richard Brown (Western Force)
7. David Pocock (Western Force)
6. Rocky Elsom (Brumbies, captain)
5. Nathan Sharpe (Western Force)
4. Dean Mumm (NSW Waratahs)
3. Salesi Ma’afu (Brumbies)
2. Saia Faingaa (Queensland Reds)
1. Benn Robinson (NSW Waratahs)

Run on reserves:

16. Stephen Moore (Brumbies)
17. James Slipper (Queensland Reds)
18. Rob Simmons (Queensland Reds)
19. Matt Hodgson (Western Force)
20. Luke Burgess (NSW Waratahs)
21. Berrick Barnes (NSW Waratahs)
22. Cameron Shepherd (Western Force)

Faingaa's to start together, Saia replacing Moore as starter and Ant taking over from Barnes. Beale to 15 and AAC to 13.

Ant for first wallabies try (after 4 all black ones)

JBH001

International Regular
They should sack Deans if he is unable to get the best out of his players or they have lost confidence in him. We will know better about that after this weekend - although a loss doesn't necessarily mean a lack of confidence/belief, rather the manner of the loss. Not sure about the selection of A.Faingaa at second five although I have never seen him play. Fair enough that Barnes had a quiet game last weekend, but I rate him, and think he would come good. It also means that other elements of tactical kicking, for example chip kicks and grubber kicks are not part of the plan for this weekend (I am assuming that he is a running and physical second five). I like the look of Beale at 15 though but O'Connor may not be the right selection for the wing - its a pity Ioane is injured, I reckon he and Beale would have formed a good combination.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
They should sack Deans if he is unable to get the best out of his players or they have lost confidence in him. We will know better about that after this weekend - although a loss doesn't necessarily mean a lack of confidence/belief, rather the manner of the loss.
I tend to disagree that Deans' position as Australian coach is in question (irrespective if they lose to the All Blacks again this weekend) especially this close to the Rugby World Cup. I simply don't think its practical to appoint a new coach, with essentially the same mix of players available, and give him one year to develop a side to win the World Cup any better than Deans would. In my view anyway, the Wallabies don't look that bad at full strength and Deans surely can't be blamed for their early season crisis in the front row and injuries to game breakers like Ioane (who IMO is a definite starter for the Australians when fit). At least Deans has recognised the advantages of keeping the ball in hand with the recent change in law interpretations rather than kicking it away and using tactics that worked under previous interpretations (like the Springboks seemed to want to do), and they're applying pressure at the breakdown with key loose forwards and a dynamic openside flanker.

Not sure about the selection of A.Faingaa at second five although I have never seen him play. Fair enough that Barnes had a quiet game last weekend, but I rate him, and think he would come good. It also means that other elements of tactical kicking, for example chip kicks and grubber kicks are not part of the plan for this weekend (I am assuming that he is a running and physical second five). I like the look of Beale at 15 though but O'Connor may not be the right selection for the wing - its a pity Ioane is injured, I reckon he and Beale would have formed a good combination.
I'm not overly confident in Anthony Faingaa at 12 either, though like I said I would with Cooper, I'm prepared to at least see what he has to offer at the highest level against class opposition before judging him on paper. I do rate Barnes though and thought he might be given another starting opportunity. Fully agree with your comment on O'Connor and with Rob Horne ruled out I thought Australia might've been keen to reshuffle their backline and play O'Connor at fullback and Cameron Shepherd or Lachie Turner (is he injured?) on the wing.

ripper868

International Coach
Faingaa to be three try hero...and put Nonu on his ass...while knocking himself out in the process...

I think Faingaa works better outside a Cooper, and Cooper works better with a Faingaa outside him. From the Reds games you could see that Faingaa was Coopers 'out' option all year when something special wasn't on, and being the hard physical runner he is he was used a s avery good 'out'. I think Giteau may be able to benefit from this as well, though we can only see what the weekend brings. I'm pretty happy for Robbie to give these guys a chance at the top level, after all, the Tri nations is effectively gone anyway, why not expose some guys to the top level one year out...though i hope we have a team settled by end of the spring tour

EDIT: surprised the AB's have dropped Dagg altogether...thought he offered quite a bit off the bench.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
EDIT: surprised the AB's have dropped Dagg altogether...thought he offered quite a bit off the bench.
Agreed, that decision surprised me too - as far as impact and explosiveness off the bench goes I think he offers more than Benson Stanley, whose taken his spot in the reserves. Also interesting to note that hes not been selected for Hawkes Bay this weekend which is a shame IMO, so I assume hes still part of the wider AB squad.