• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

ripper868

International Coach
Indeed, RIP. 62 too young.

Same Front 3 named again, be interesting to see if they get shunted again, though Think the Row and flankers need to lend some support, just seemed as if they weren't giving them any weight in perth (**** binds and such).

Looking forward to Genia darting through the english forwards time and again...If Burgess could do it a little last week, Genia will be all over it. Genia-Cooper combo ftw.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, rate Genia very highly. Tore us a new one at Twickers last autumn. Depressed me no end as I paid £80 for me ticket.

Be interesting to see how, er, young Youngs goes at #9 for us too. Delighted that Johnno has finally got the hint that Care is more than slightly gash. Youngs looks a talent; has a eye for a gap and can pass.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
The TAB has the All blacks at $1.05 to beat Wales. I am taking the free money. NZ will win the game.
This would be a good game to bet like $200 on.

TAB should get a twitter account or on facebook so they can publish the odds for big games as soon as they come out.:ph34r:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
The TAB has the All blacks at $1.05 to beat Wales. I am taking the free money. NZ will win the game.
This would be a good game to bet like $200 on.

TAB should get a twitter account or on facebook so they can publish the odds for big games as soon as they come out.:ph34r:
Betting $200 on the ABs yields you only $10 profit - sure its been more than 50 years since Wales have beaten the All Blacks, but I imagine there would be better alternatives. Also with odds subject to change twitter or facebook for the TAB would run the risk of having too much outdated information if starting odds for major sporting events were to be published IMO.

On another note, great victory for the NZ Maori over Ireland tonight. I watched last week's match against the NZ Barbarians and I thought they were lucky to win that, outmuscled in the scrum and tight five in particular. A much better all round showing tonight against an experimental, but certainly not weak, Irish side.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
You are right about twitter and facebook.

I consider a bet on the all blacks vs wales as an investment though and a 5% return is ok by me. They will win unless one of the all blacks gets sent off in the first minute of the game. The only time we get upset is in the world cup. And that is because the other team ups its game to like 1000% effort because it is the world cup - and we keep our effort to that of just another test match. We expect the other team to roll over for us like they do in a regular test. I blame the coaching staff for not motivating our players correctly for our bad world cup performances. Anyways I am on a tangent. We will win guaranteed.
If Wales wins I will change my Avatar to a picture of Daniel Flynn as punishment.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Been impressed with Wales - effectively both All Black tries have been opportunistic with Wales expecting an All Black penalty kick at goal rather than Cowan's quick tap and then Jane's run to score a great solo try courtesy of Smith turning over the loose ball. They're certainly not out of it only 6 points down. Dagg and Stanley have both been put under considerably greater pressure than last week with neither as impressive. Better effort from Vito though with some nice touches and runs with the ball.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Been impressed with Wales - effectively both All Black tries have been opportunistic with Wales expecting an All Black penalty kick at goal rather than Cowan's quick tap and then Jane's run to score a great solo try courtesy of Smith turning over the loose ball. They're certainly not out of it only 6 points down. Dagg and Stanley have both been put under considerably greater pressure than last week with neither as impressive. Better effort from Vito though with some nice touches and runs with the ball.
The score line at the moment 25-9 is definitely flattering to the All Blacks. But Wales have been inferior at the breakdown. That Corey Jane try was a result of sloppy Wales work at the breakdown.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Sensational second half for the ABs and, overall, a much better performance than last week despite the enslaught of tries against Ireland. Wales really did fall apart in that second half though, surprising because I was impressed at their ability to go the distance in Cardiff last year (almost pinching a win at the end if I recall correctly). The way they fell off tackles was particularly alarming - Kahui probably couldn't believe his luck. Carter outstanding in the second half in particular - easily his best match this year after not exactly setting the world alight during the Super 14. Kahui and Woodcock impressive off the bench and Rokocoko with some excellent runs. Vito, Mealamu, Cowan, McCaw and Read also worthy of mentions IMO.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
The score line at the moment 25-9 is definitely flattering to the All Blacks. But Wales have been inferior at the breakdown. That Corey Jane try was a result of sloppy Wales work at the breakdown.
To be fair though, if you're going to tire as badly as Wales did, fall off multiple tackles and give the world's best 10 the opportunity to run at you, you're asking for trouble, particularly under the way the rules (e.g. at the breakdown) have been applied this year, so I think it'd be debatable whether that final scoreline of 42-9 was in fact flattering.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Good points Somerset. A minor point I have in my defence is that I made my post when the score was 25-9 and Wales had yet to capitulate completely. I can't figure out why we played so well in those final 20 minutes. We were ruthless and clinical.

A random thought I have is - that back in the day when I grew up - you always kicked for touch when you were on defence. These days you keep the ball in play and just hack it as far as you can down the field. On one of those clearances they kicked it to Jane who passed it to Kahui and he ran in a try. That try would never have happened in the 1980s becuase the ball would have been in touch. I was overseas for 15 years and not watching rugby so I am still making my mind up about some of the new trends in rugby.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Us v the Wallabies started very much in the manner of the first: our pack delivers lots of ball that the backs largely butcher.

Lawes is a big lad tho. Impressive physical specimen and not afriad of a bit of pagga either.

Ha, get in! Said Youngs had an eye for a gap!! :cool:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Much better effort from England this week, at least they're giving their backline the opportunity to run with the ball - and funnily enough, they've managed two tries to Australia's one. Very good call re. Youngs from BB - he looks enterprising. Still would be a bit concerned at some of the basic errors and aimless kicking away of the ball from the English, Flood doesn't really give me a lot of confidence TBH. Relatively few scrums which has been preferable for the benefit of running rugby and indeed for Australia's inexperienced front row.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, oozes potential. When they have their first choice front row fit I think the Wallabies might just challenge for the WC.
I'm certainly not writing them off though don't hold them in quite the same class as South Africa and New Zealand, even at full strength. In saying that, theres undeniably plenty of talent within their backline (although I'd probably start Ashley-Cooper and have a 10-12 of Giteau-Barnes) and their forward pack at full strength (with Moore, Alexander, Robinson, etc.) should be able to hold its own.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Good points Somerset. A minor point I have in my defence is that I made my post when the score was 25-9 and Wales had yet to capitulate completely. I can't figure out why we played so well in those final 20 minutes. We were ruthless and clinical.

A random thought I have is - that back in the day when I grew up - you always kicked for touch when you were on defence. These days you keep the ball in play and just hack it as far as you can down the field. On one of those clearances they kicked it to Jane who passed it to Kahui and he ran in a try. That try would never have happened in the 1980s becuase the ball would have been in touch. I was overseas for 15 years and not watching rugby so I am still making my mind up about some of the new trends in rugby.
I think one of the reasons we dominated in the last 20 minutes was the absense of Stephen Jones, who although had quiet patches would've at least driven the Welsh side downtown rather than play the ball in their own half for most of the last 20 minutes. That and the strange lack of fitness and high missed tackle rate for the Welsh - I'm guessing were they like that against South Africa two weeks ago too when they blew a sizeable early lead?

Even 10 years ago you were able to kick the ball to touch after passing it back into your 22 (can't remember the exact change in the law) so you've a valid point regarding the amount of kicking. I think rugby as a spectacle has definitely benefitted from the ELVs, adjustment to the rules, and the new law interpretations this season to speed the game up and encourage attacking play rather than turn to kicking the ball at the first instance (someone might want to emphasise that to England though). Carter's second try proves your point too - a 95 metre effort.