• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Possibly the best performance of the year from the Wallabies last night

Dare I say it but they look to be heading in the right direction

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
No comment on the All Blacks' emphatic 39-12 win over France is a bit unusual. The first half was brilliant with the attacking nature of the match and the respective approaches from both sides. Second half New Zealand was unbelievably comprehensive and was somewhat similar IMO to the All Blacks' victories in Lyon and Paris a few years ago. With the way we played at times and the entertaining rugby produced, as well as South Africa's recent struggles, signs are certainly positive. And it should be noted that the All Blacks have now gone eight consecutive test matches against Northern Hemisphere opposition in the Northern Hemisphere without conceeding a try - not bad, I suppose.

Had to laugh when I saw South Africa go down to Ireland, I would've picked the Springboks to go through their tour unbeaten so to finish with four defeats is quite remarkable. Credit to the Wallabies for such an excellent win over Wales too - when the All Blacks faced Wales three weeks ago the Welsh looked very competitive so Australia's victory is certainly promising.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wales are a pretty good side. Need to watch out for Australia just after they've lost a game I suppose.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Just had a look through the Barbarian side which was named yesterday to face the All Blacks this weekend and given the quality of players in Giteau, Habana, Elsom, George Smith, du Preez and company, whats essentially a reserve All Black starting XV is in for a massive challenge IMO. Put it this way, I'd be highly surprised if we don't conceed our first try in Europe this season.

ripper868

International Coach
Indeed, kid has broken a taxi window and been disciplined for a food fight before, but this is certainly not something you expect to hear about a person who is paid 200+ a year doing. Must have been something career threatening in the house to justify the burglary.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Just had a look through the Barbarian side which was named yesterday to face the All Blacks this weekend and given the quality of players in Giteau, Habana, Elsom, George Smith, du Preez and company, whats essentially a reserve All Black starting XV is in for a massive challenge IMO. Put it this way, I'd be highly surprised if we don't conceed our first try in Europe this season.
And courtesy of Bryan Habana, my prediction proved to be true. Decent effort for the Barbarians to beat the ABs even with their side packed full of international stars, and although it was an entertaining encounter, its somewhat of a shame from my view anyway that New Zealand couldn't maintain a perfect record in Europe this year.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Yesterday, the Air New Zealand Cup 2010 was announced to consist of 14 teams - before the start of the season this year, the NZRU declared that the 2010 competition would be made up of 10 teams, with four being dropped from the first division. Personally I think thats superb news that the decision has been made reversed (somewhat predictable though IMO) after such a successful 2009 ANZC. Any thoughts regarding the decision from the New Zealanders that watched the competition throughout this year?

HeathDavisSpeed

I'm (predictably) very happy that the 14 team format has been retained. Can't wait for the next season to start. Have to wait for the Crappy 14 to happen first.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ex-British Lions captain admits he's gay

From the BBC.

Big Gareth Thomas takes the brave step out of the closet. Not the biggest shock in the world; I saw it alluded to on yer interwebz after the break up of his marriage, but good on the big fella for making it public knowledge.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I certainly won't be perceiving Thomas any differently - IMO hes still a great rugby player for Wales (good enough to play in the backline of my rugby draft team recently) and should be remembered that way.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Chucks the stereotype that all gay people are soft out of the window. He has to be one of the hardest blokes in rugby.

Yes very funny.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
RIP Bill McLaren

The BBC's voice of rugby passes away at 86. Link. :(

As Arlott was to cricket, McLaren was to union. Wonderful, mellifluous border brogue and the consumate professional; knew the game inside out. The best ever. Vale Bill, we'll not see your like again.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
The BBC's voice of rugby passes away at 86. Link. :(

As Arlott was to cricket, McLaren was to union. Wonderful, mellifluous border brogue and the consumate professional; knew the game inside out. The best ever. Vale Bill, we'll not see your like again.
RIP :mellow:

A really nice video at the bottom of that article, though. Some great scenes.

HeathDavisSpeed

He was at his best when commentating on Ieuan Evans and David Campeze. He had a special way of saying those names that just sang.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
He was at his best when commentating on Ieuan Evans and David Campeze. He had a special way of saying those names that just sang.
It was "Iwan Tukalo" and his "little shilly-shally" for me. Oh and obviously "That'll make someone very happy down in Taranaki tonight, I can tell you" when the All Blacks ran in yet another try.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Best commentator in rugby union, bar none. Good knock of 86, mind, considering his early battle with TB.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
The Super 14 season is just around the corner and it will be George Smith's last with the Brumbies as he has been given a release to go overseas at the end of the season. This also means that he will never play for the Wallabies again :(