Page 118 of 254 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120128168218 ... LastLast
Results 1,756 to 1,770 of 3804
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Official Rugby Thread

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    I'd expect it to be at near capacity - once in a lifetime chance for some of the locals to watch a top quality game of rugby union. I understand a number of tour groups from down under will boost the numbers too.

Australia leading by 5 points at half time. Hasn't been a particularly great game so far, a stop-start sort of match (partly due to a number of the ELVs being abandonned for the game, to Australia's sizeable penalty count, and to a mess at scrum time). Australia probably deserve to be leading - they've had the better of the opportunities even if New Zealand has had more of the ball. They look like a side thats playing like a team, while the ABs at the moment are struggling a bit for cohesion.

And it looks like Hika Elliot will be looking for his passport IMO, with Andrew Hore quite seriously injured it seems.

McCaw is in and it gives New Zealand a 19-14 lead.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Can't wait for social to post on this thread. There was only one side seriously cheating at the breakdown tonight - and they were pinged accordingly.

Much better effort in the second half. Apart from the final 5-10 minutes there was only one team in that half and the ABs deserved their victory in the end. Still wasn't overly impressed with the quality of the match though I guess that could be put down to the physicality of both defences, and the humidity playing a factor. Nice to see Toeava finally put in a commanding display (besides one aweful kick that was charged down with about 10 minutes to go). Impressed with Mealamu and Nonu off the bench. The experiment with Donald at first five clearly wasn't working so was glad to see the switch to Nonu early in the second half.

On another matter, I tend to agree with Dean's comments after the game regarding the ELVs - the experimental laws, in my opinion, provide a much more entertaining and free-flowing spectacle. Its just a shame that most of the Northern Hemisphere seems so anti their inclusion that we probably won't see them implemented globally for a prolonged period any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Voltman View Post
    Can't wait for social to post on this thread. There was only one side seriously cheating at the breakdown tonight - and they were pinged accordingly.
    I thought it was a bit ironic that Australia managed to conceed ten penalties in 55 minutes of rugby, and then failed to add to that total for the remaining 25 minutes after being handed an general warning by the Irish referee. Thought the warning would've come much earlier, and probably would've seen the game flow better TBH.

Quote Originally Posted by Voltman View Post
    Australia got what they deserved and I thought that the ref had a very good match except for missing the obvious forward pass in the ABs second try

All in all, it was a crap match

Yeah really crap match...

The All Blacks looked like they didn't care in the first half and Donald had a shocker at 5/8. I got no problem saying New Zealand are no where near as strong as they are when Carter doesn't play 5/8.

I can't say Australia would have won if not for the referee, but the ref was dreadful. He lost complete control on the game at scrum-time and the panelty count was way too lobsided. I don't begrudge McCaw when he gets away with stuff because that's what loosies do - they play to the whistle. But McCaw was coming in off his feet at the breakdown many times and never got pinged. Would it have made a difference, I don't know.

I liked seeing the long arm penalties back though. Feels like they're punishing the offences with an appropriate penalty... none of this short-arm crap and giving away free metres.

Lastly the Aussies should be pretty disappointed with themselves. They blew a 10-point lead at Brisbane and let in some really soft tries. Their defence was a little better in this game, but they still conceeded soft tries - like when George Smith passed the ball into the Aussie 22 and it was kicked back on the full! That put Australia right back under pressure. Unlike previous years, they have a side that can beat New Zealand but they're not quite getting the job done.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer ~DanVettoriFan~'s Avatar
    Didn't see the game as I was out, but I think it's great how we can play sub-standard and still win.

The game didn't mean anything to the Bledisloe Cup anyway seeing as we already had it locked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis View Post
    Lastly the Aussies should be pretty disappointed with themselves. They blew a 10-point lead at Brisbane and let in some really soft tries. Their defence was a little better in this game, but they still conceeded soft tries - like when George Smith passed the ball into the Aussie 22 and it was kicked back on the full! That put Australia right back under pressure. Unlike previous years, they have a side that can beat New Zealand but they're not quite getting the job done.
    I can only assume that Giteau thought that particular rule had reverted back to its old state like the long arm penalties. Was a crucial mistake to make given the All Blacks scored a minute later.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis View Post
    But McCaw was coming in off his feet at the breakdown many times and never got pinged.

Blasphemy!

Expect Volty's toys to be thrown out of the cot in 3 .. 2...

Not at all. It just proves Francis knows next to ****-all about rugby. McCaw was remarkably quiet yesterday (and was poor with ball in hand). The Aussies, on the other hand, seemed to throw the offside at the ruck law out the window.

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Only saw the first 20 minutes as i had a function to attend...wobbles looked alright, seemed to 'contain' Mcaw a little bit, smashig him a few times at breakdown time...this evidently didnt continue based on postings here.

ref=dud
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

How was Giteau's pass for the first, miracle ball.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    How was Giteau's pass for the first, miracle ball.
    Yeah, that oozed class - good power from Mitchell too to get over.

Thread Information