• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha, oh dear Matt Giteau. Chuffed for the Scots though.

More chuffed with this Irish performance, particularly Jonathan ***ton.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Are you the defending team actually allowed to run straight up to the kicker before a conversion?. I've seen it before but never right to his face basically. Just seemed a tad unsporting IMO.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Are you the defending team actually allowed to run straight up to the kicker before a conversion?. I've seen it before but never right to his face basically. Just seemed a tad unsporting IMO.
Yeah, one of our centers actually managed to charge down a conversion 2 weeks ago for my local side. First time I'd ever seen that though.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Honestly don't know how the Wallabies contrived to lose that; butchered three tries (although Elsom more blameless than Moore's horrible body position and Cooper's twattish forward pass) and Giteau's place kicking just horrible throughout. Huge choke with the final conversion.

Heroic defending from the Scots, but they were beaten up front and offered v little in attack.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, you are allowed to charge conversions, but not penalties. And no, it's not unsporting - it's about putting pressure on the kicker.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
There's putting pressure - and then there's literally being in his face.
That's kinda the point tho. Hard to charge down a kick if you aren't in his face. Defenders are allowed to charge from when the kicker starts his run-up, so he's got no-one to blame but himself if he fart-arses about.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
There's putting pressure - and then there's literally being in his face.
That's kinda the point tho. Hard to charge down a kick if you aren't in his face. Defenders are allowed to charge from when the kicker starts his run-up, so he's got no-one to blame but himself if he fart-arses about.
Yep. BB has got it, Pup Clarke hasn't. The faffing about that many kickers do deserves a charge-down attempt. It happens in league as well (although less regularly).

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Honestly don't know how the Wallabies contrived to lose that; butchered three tries (although Elsom more blameless than Moore's horrible body position and Cooper's twattish forward pass) and Giteau's place kicking just horrible throughout. Huge choke with the final conversion.

Heroic defending from the Scots, but they were beaten up front and offered v little in attack.
Pretty much sums it up

Felt sorry for the 90% who played very well but were let down by disgracefully poor execution at the end

I was going to post this last week - having watched the 4 Nations Rugby League Final, how much better is Darren Lockyer (and Andrew Johns before him) than any stand-off produced in rugby union during their careers?

Tragedy for Oz rugby that they wouldnt convert as games like yesterday's would've been out of sight before half-time with those guys calling the shots

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I was going to post this last week - having watched the 4 Nations Rugby League Final, how much better is Darren Lockyer (and Andrew Johns before him) than any stand-off produced in rugby union during their careers?
We have no idea, and it's ridiculous to compare. Never mind the fact that Lockyer and Johns have more space than their league predecessors used to have thanks to the 5-metre rule becoming the 10-metre rule.

Until Lockyer or Johns played union, it's a spurious comparison and to even suggest they might have been "better" is drawing a very long bow.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You think I'm joking?

I guess it probably just hasn't clicked how stupid your suggestion was. It's kinda like watching a football match and saying "why are all the players allowed to stand in front of the kicker while he's trying to shoot from a free kick? Seems terribly unsporting..."