• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not a shoulder charge however, more a chest bump, defiinete attempt to use the arms IMO. The Irish lad must have lost his marble to run straight at him though. Should have been given 10 for his shoulder charge on Elsom to if we are going to be consistent :ph34r:

Really should have won that game but credit to Ireland, took their chances when they came. Kaplan in overuse of whistle shocker, at least it was dire both ways though. Aussie lineout...**** me.
Apart from the lineout, at least Oz are starting to look like an international rugby side again - scrum excellent, discipline not bad

Should've had the game put to bed by mid-way through the second half but at least we didnt throw it completely away and kudos to the Irish for sticking at it when being bashed around the park for the most part

ripper868

International Coach
Yeah good point, looked good at the contest and destroyed the Irish scrum a couple of times. Pocock was superb and thoroughly deserved MOTM, I'd be quite happy to see no change to the Starting XV, save Barnes in for Cooper

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Yeah good point, looked good at the contest and destroyed the Irish scrum a couple of times. Pocock was superb and thoroughly deserved MOTM, I'd be quite happy to see no change to the Starting XV, save Barnes in for Cooper
Barnes is injured and out of the Grand Sla... the tour. I agree with you, barring Stephen Moore. I think Polota-Nau should be starting for Australia. The Aussie scrum always gets noticably better when Tatafu Polota-Nau comes on. Ironically, Australia's line-out got better when he came on as well. It's ironic as TPN has generally had a terrible throw.

I thought Australia played better in this game. In the previous week against England Genia played well (although he's already overhyped) and Australia, for maybe the first time this year, played better in the second half. This week against Ireland they were better at the breakdown. They actually counter-rucked and got a few turnovers. It was a far cry from where they were against New Zealand in Wellington this year. Their second half performance in the forwards was noticably better (although their line-out is a problem). Their scrum was fantastic, and would have been better if not for Kaplan making some stupid decisions.

Their backline is still their biggest area of concern. A lot of individuals not working together all going for glory. What is it Bo Dwyer used to say, "The sum of individuals doesn't equate to the sum of people working together." Something like that.

I actually like Quade Cooper in the Aussie side. He's been criticised for his defence, but it's incredibly harsh criticism. He has a beautiful long pass, can beat players (and he did that against Ireland), and asks questions of the defence. I'm not saying he's going to be great. Australia don't have great players or a great team, but as long as they're moving slightly forward they're going in the right direction.

That Irish try at the end was a well worked move. The Aussie centres got criticised for it, but Ioane had the choice of picking one of three Irish players. He picked wrong. There was a similar situation involving Tommy Bowe - Cooper had to pick a defender.

I thought they played much better than Ireland (especially in the second half), but that's how it goes sometimes.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Fair play to Saracens, who make it 3 losses from 3 for the world and Tri-Nations champions. :cool:

Admittedly there was something of a South African flavour to the Sarries win tho, with the winning drop from ex-Bok Derrick Hougaard and tries from Ernest Joubert and Brad Barritt.

ripper868

International Coach
Barnes is injured and out of the Grand Sla...the tour.
Well aware of this mate, my intitial comment should have beeen "I'd be quite happy to see no change (Save Barnes for Cooper) to the starting XV for the next two years" Giving the current crop two years of rugby together to get it right for the WC.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Fair play to Saracens, who make it 3 losses from 3 for the world and Tri-Nations champions. :cool:

Admittedly there was something of a South African flavour to the Sarries win tho, with the winning drop from ex-Bok Derrick Hougaard and tries from Ernest Joubert and Brad Barritt.
Admittedly a weakened mid-week South African team, but a third loss in a row's a massive turn-up. Mind you, I guess they'd rather go through a period of struggle now than in 2011...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Simon Shaw back for England

The 6' 9" colossus inevtitably returns to the starting XV to add some much needed grunt to the tight five.

Less of a predictable call is Ayoola Erinle (an outside centre by trade) starting at 12. Not exactly the most attacking move in the world. Monye and Cueto swap places with the latter sliding to full-back, where he played the second half against the Argies.

From the BBC:

England: Cueto (Sale); Banahan (Bath), Hipkiss (Leicester), Erinle (Biarritz), Monye (Harlequins); Wilkinson (Toulon), Hodgson (London Irish); Payne (Wasps), Hartley (Northampton), Bell (Bath), Shaw (Wasps), Borthwick (Saracens, capt), Worsley (Wasps), Moody (Leicester), Haskell (Stade Francais).
Replacements: Thompson (Brive), Wilson (Bath), Deacon (Leicester), Croft (Leicester), Care (Harlequins), Geraghty (Northampton), Tait (Sale).

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
After looking at the England side named, and with all due respect, I doubt they'll scare an expected full strength All Black side for this weekend's mach.