• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Filthy prick's got 8 weeks to think about it, anyway. From the BBC.

The comments from the Peter de Villiers show why he's considered the biggest joke in world rugby right now too:

"I don't believe it was a card at all," said the South Africa coach.

"In the first minute already there had been a lot of needle and if you watch the whole game you will see how many yellow cards they were let off.

"This is sport, this is what it's about. If things were clear cut then we shouldn't even bother preparing for a game. Everyone is entitled to their opinion."

So gouging is what sport's about? :wacko: WAC.

ripper868

International Coach
Any prick who gouges should be wiped out for a long time, repeat offenders should receive 6 month minimun sentences, and forfeit the right to two fingers. de Villiers is a ****, if he thinks that it's in the sport to gouge and **** like that, he can jump off a cliff or change sports, that's not what rugby is about, regardless of what level your playing at.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How many games would he be due to play in this 8 weeks? 8 weeks would be a particularly lame punishment if it were due to start during the off-season. I presume he'll miss the Tri-Nations?

social

In an ideal world, it's irrelevant when the incident occurred, but it's not an ideal world - referees are loathe to send someone off in the first minute.

And the silence wasn't deafening - I recall Joel Stransky making comment that we'd hear more about that.
Some time ago, the ARL/refs decided that they'd had enough of the "traditional softening up period" in Aus rugby league and started sending players off for foul play irrespective of when it occurred

As this was before unlimited interchanges were introduced, the team that lost a player generally copped a thrashing as teams couldnt cope with the numerical disadvantage

Fortunately, and in spite of some bleating that the removal of players in the early stages was ruining the game as a spectacle, the authorities persisted and the game was substantially cleaned up as a result

If the atitude amongst rugby officials is so antiquated that the officials are thinking about the clock when making decisions, then that has to change

However, it seemed to me like the ref didnt fully understand what the touchie was telling him and simply erred on the side of caution

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Good news for NZ and Aus though, means Burger is back for the Tri-Nations and Brussow will miss out.

Huge fan of Burger but his been poor for the past twelve months (should never cut his hair), had a shocking Super14 and Schalk-duggery aside he contributed nothing and gave away a penalty come the end which would have cost the Boks the game if not for that ****wit bottler, Ronan O’Gara. Always going to be tough given the way he plays to have much longevity.

Thought Bakkies was hard done. He got a two week ban (for what, hitting a ruck?) yet Sheridan who punched Bekker’s member got away Schalk free.

Epic game though. I watched it from the hospital on a dodgy 15 inch stream and was shattered come the end. You could see from Simon Shaw’s post-match interview how much the game mattered, he nearly broke down come the end. What a performance.

Just a shame about those uncontested scrums. :dry:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
O'Gara was injured too, so was even direr in defence than usual. Impossible to defend him taking a man out in the air. Utter bull****.

Munster & Ireland hero tbh. He's had some utterly incredible games for both over the years.

The real reason is that there's no alternative. You're not picking Goode or Parks, Hook is injured and Jones was on the pitch already (having an excellent game, incidentally). Cipriani is the best out-half around these parts technically, but his head's not screwed on sufficiently well to be worth bothering with.
Really only Munster apologists who give O’Gara the time of the day. Most Irish fans want ***ton in and have always regarded him as a liabilty.

I can’t think of a player having a worst 13 minutes than him though. Came on, was carpet for Spies, bottles out of taken out Fourie, who scores from an almost impossible position and then just shows how pea-hearted he is by not even competing come the end. Have to question the Lions selectors for taken him to South Africa and having him in the 22 ahead of Hook (he was ok to play). Awful, awful selection.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
How many games would he be due to play in this 8 weeks? 8 weeks would be a particularly lame punishment if it were due to start during the off-season. I presume he'll miss the Tri-Nations?
Burger won’t be available until the away legs of the tri-nations. August 22nd he will be back. Should have been just 8 games, this 8 weeks is bollocks.

The Italian show pony captain who also did a bit of eye work on the weekend ban doesn’t start until August, as he doesn’t play any rugby in the month of July. Precedent was set by him; Burger was never going to get the 16 weeks + ban after Parisse only got 8.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Really only Munster apologists who give O’Gara the time of the day. Most Irish fans want ***ton in and have always regarded him as a liabilty.

I can’t think of a player having a worst 13 minutes than him though. Came on, was carpet for Spies, bottles out of taken out Fourie, who scores from an almost impossible position and then just shows how pea-hearted he is by not even competing come the end. Have to question the Lions selectors for taken him to South Africa and having him in the 22 ahead of Hook (he was ok to play). Awful, awful selection.
Think now Contepomi's left Leinster and ***ton gets a regular gig with his province O'Gara will be gradually phased out. Always liked what I saw of Humphreys jnr when he played for Leicester too, but he's v much a kicking kind of 10 which suited the Tigers game as often as not.

social

5 matches

Absolute farce

Only positive upside is that the imbecile SA coach might appeal which would then allow the judiciary to hand out a more appropriate penalty

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

I'm going to claim expert knowledge on that one. To say I know a lot of Irish rugby fans is about as big an understatement as it's possible to make, and the vast, vast, vast majority have been happy with O'Gara starting at OH. And this isn't even in Munster.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Bizarre story and apparently on top of being ‘sectioned’, he tried to top himself. L’Equipe leading with the headline that he wanted to “end his days”.

Seems all a tad too much considering what other touring teams have done in New Zealand in the recent past. Supposedly all he did was get drunk become aggressive, try to go back to his hotel with two ladies of the night only to be laid the **** out by a team-mate (to calm him down).

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I'm going to claim expert knowledge on that one. To say I know a lot of Irish rugby fans is about as big an understatement as it's possible to make, and the vast, vast, vast majority have been happy with O'Gara starting at OH. And this isn't even in Munster.
I take your word for it. :)

The Mick’s in my family must be the exception.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
The Australian Rugby Union have terminated the contract of Lote Tuqiri. Surprising considering how much money he is on and his contracts runs until 2011. That said, Lote had an awful Super14 and doesn't deserve to be picked infront of the likes of Turner and Mitchell. Aus have a plethora of quality versatile backs but Tuqiri was the only anomaly as he had no versatility.

He makes too much to go back home to play mungo ball, so probably either France or Japan.

social

The Australian Rugby Union have terminated the contract of Lote Tuqiri. Surprising considering how much money he is on and his contracts runs until 2011. That said, Lote had an awful Super14 and doesn't deserve to be picked infront of the likes of Turner and Mitchell. Aus have a plethora of quality versatile backs but Tuqiri was the only anomaly as he had no versatility.

He makes too much to go back home to play mungo ball, so probably either France or Japan.
Disciplinary reasons

ripper868

International Coach
Also explains why he hasn't got a start this test season, just waiting to hear that Tahu has done something similar.

Having said that, Both Tuquiri and Tahu would be 3rd or 4th string anyway at the moment, plenty of talent in the outside backs right now.

ripper868

International Coach
The Qantas Wallabies Squad for the 2009 Bundaberg Rum Tri-Nations is:

Name Position Super 14 Team Age Caps

Ben Alexander Prop Brumbies 24 7
Adam Ashley-Cooper Fullback-Wing Brumbies 25 26
Berrick Barnes Inside centre-Flyhalf Queensland Reds 22 16
Al Baxter Prop NSW Waratahs 32 66
Richard Brown No 8/Loose Forward Western Force 24 7
Luke Burgess Halfback NSW Waratahs 25 14
Quade Cooper Flyhalf Queensland Reds 21 5
Pekahou Cowan Prop Western Force 22 1
Ryan Cross Centre Western Force 29 13
Rocky Elsom Flanker Brumbies 26 40
Will Genia Halfback Queensland Reds 21 Uncapped
Matt Giteau Flyhalf Western Force 26 67
Matt Hodgson Loose forward Western Force 27 Uncapped
James Horwill Lock Queensland Reds 23 13
Peter Hynes Wing Queensland Reds 26 14
Peter Kimlin Lock Brumbies 23 1
Drew Mitchell Wing/Fullback Western Force 25 31
Stephen Moore Hooker Brumbies 26 35
Stirling Mortlock Centre Brumbies 31 78
Dean Mumm Lock/Loose-forward NSW Waratahs 25 13
James O’Connor Fullback Western Force 18 4
Wycliff Palu No 8 NSW Waratahs 26 28
David Pocock Flanker Western Force 21 5
Tatafu Polota-Nau Hooker NSW Waratahs 23 12
Benn Robinson Prop NSW Waratahs 24 20
Nathan Sharpe Lock Western Force 31 76
George Smith Flanker Brumbies 28 99
Timana Tahu Centre NSW Waratahs 28 4
Lachie Turner Wing/Fullback NSW Waratahs 22 5
Phil Waugh Flanker NSW Waratahs 29 79

Genia and Elsom replace Lote and Valentine.

The Fixtures
Sat 18 July
Qantas Wallabies v All Blacks
Tri Nations & BC
Eden Park, Auckland
7.35pm

Sat 25 July
Springboks v All Blacks
Tri Nations
Vodacom Park, Bloemfontein
5pm

Sat 1 Aug
Springboks v All Blacks
Tri Nations
The Absa Stadium, Durban
5pm

Sat 8 Aug
Springboks v Qantas Wallabies
Tri Nations & MP
Newlands, Cape Town
5pm

Sat 22 Aug
Qantas Wallabies v All Blacks
Tri Nations & BC
ANZ Stadium, Sydney
8pm

Sat 29 Aug
Qantas Wallabies v Springboks
Tri Nations & MP
Subiaco Oval, Perth
6pm

Sat 5 Sep
Qantas Wallabies v Springboks
Tri Nations & MP
Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
8pm

Sat 12 Sep
All Blacks v Springboks
Tri Nations
Waikato Stadium, Hamilton
7.35pm

Sat 19 Sept
All Blacks v Qantas Wallabies
Tri Nations & BC
Westpac Stadium, Wellington
7.35pm

* all kick offs are in local times (NZ – 2 hours, AEST, SA +8 hours, AEST)